Golf Thread

Associate
Looking for some help. Looking to start playing Golf again after a 11 year absence, used to play regularly from 11 year old to 21 year old with my Gran and Grandpa and my mates.
I stopped playing when uni took over and never went back.

My old clubs are no more after being left in a damp shed for 11 years.
I don't drive but my local golf course is 0.2 miles away and the driving range 0.4 miles away. So about ten minute walk.

I'm going to have a few lessons to get me back into the swing of things! And a few sessions on the driving range before trying the local.
£12 for a solo golfer which is a bargain, used to tag on with a group when I was golfing solo in the past if they didn't mind.

Now I'm on a strict budget of £300 and have looked at two new budget sets from AG and eBay Fazer ctr 20 and Ben Sayers M8
Or can someone spec me some good used full set plus stand bag?

Can't wait get playing again, was not bad when I stopped playing, although I've had two serious shoulder dislocations since!

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Looking for some help. Looking to start playing Golf again after a 11 year absence, used to play regularly from 11 year old to 21 year old with my Gran and Grandpa and my mates.
I stopped playing when uni took over and never went back.

My old clubs are no more after being left in a damp shed for 11 years.
I don't drive but my local golf course is 0.2 miles away and the driving range 0.4 miles away. So about ten minute walk.

I'm going to have a few lessons to get me back into the swing of things! And a few sessions on the driving range before trying the local.
£12 for a solo golfer which is a bargain, used to tag on with a group when I was golfing solo in the past if they didn't mind.

Now I'm on a strict budget of £300 and have looked at two new budget sets from AG and eBay Fazer ctr 20 and Ben Sayers M8
Or can someone spec me some good used full set plus stand bag?

Can't wait get playing again, was not bad when I stopped playing, although I've had two serious shoulder dislocations since!

Don't buy a new budget set. You'll regret it within the first couple of rounds. Buy a quality used set. Usually loads available on Gumtree. Loads of drivers and bags popping up now as players win new ones in their summer competitions.

Have a read through the MPF Ratings to see which clubs from each manufacturer would suit your experience- https://www.golfworks.com/iron-head-mpf-ratings/a/870/

A good set of Ping G25's can be picked up with a driver for £250.

Soldato

Just to touch on this, I've had quite a few shoulder dislocations; I have no issues with playing golf whatsoever - mine were anterior dislocations of my left shoulder, for reference. Hopefully you'll be fine :)

Associate
Just to touch on this, I've had quite a few shoulder dislocations; I have no issues with playing golf whatsoever - mine were anterior dislocations of my left shoulder, for reference. Hopefully you'll be fine :)
Yeah mine also, had two serious dislocations my first one involved me hitting a tree at 25 mph severely dislocated,broken nose,and multiple rib fractures, Air Ambulance job, second was bike Vs tree stump, third was pulling a curtain round putting a patient on the toilet, she pulled the emergency buzzer for me and last one was just picking a 2 litre bottle of water up.

I'm currently waiting for a mri scan for suspected bankart tear. So on daily naproxen, gabapentin and codeine when needed.

Soldato
Yeah mine also, had two serious dislocations my first one involved me hitting a tree at 25 mph severely dislocated,broken nose,and multiple rib fractures, Air Ambulance job, second was bike Vs tree stump, third was pulling a curtain round putting a patient on the toilet, she pulled the emergency buzzer for me and last one was just picking a 2 litre bottle of water up.

I'm currently waiting for a mri scan for suspected bankart tear. So on daily naproxen, gabapentin and codeine when needed.

I'm not going to give you medical advice as that's not allowed, but if its that weak I'd personally avoid any extended movements and seek medical advice before playing.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm not going to give you medical advice as that's not allowed, but if its that weak I'd personally avoid any extended movements and seek medical advice before playing.
Gp has said just use it as pain allows and avoid any over head movements or lifting with the arm extended in front or to the side.
Went to the range last night and had no pain, aches a bit like toothache after work and activities but it's bearable.
Ended up getting some Ping G30 irons off golf bidder G30 driver just need fairway woods and hybrid.

Soldato
Back to the range yesterday after 5 years of not hitting a ball!

Played for 20 years but kids/family/wife's shifts put pay to my golf for a while but now things are settling down, I'm going to try and get back into it!

Used to play off 8 but that's a long way off .....

Still got a bag of G10 ping's, Scotty Cameron putter, TM Driver etc.

Battery on my skycaddie gps is gubbed - any pointer for GPS. Don't fancy a watch, use app on phone? or dedicated gps?

Associate
Yo mate hope you're doing well, enjoy getting back into it! I use a GPS watch but I need to wear it on my right wrist. For app I use Golfshot GPS which I've used for years. I think there's a free TaylorMade app (myroundpro or something which is meant to be good)

All the cool folk use laser rangefinders though :)

Soldato
Laser here too, I prefer being able to zap trees behind green, short bunkers etc to gauge which clubs I can hit that wont find trouble f I cant quite decide myself.

Associate
Been to the driving range three times now. I'm hitting my 9-sw consistently straight. Hitting my Hybrid well, but my 3 wood and driving needs work. I'm actually hitting my hybrid further than my driver at the moment 150 yard.
Just wondering how many sessions at driving range before I let myself loose on the course?

Associate
Captains pick for the Europe team are:

Paul Casey
Sergio Garcia
Ian Poulter
Henrik Stenson

Great choices, but feel a bit for Rafa.

Agreed, but I understand the picks.
Bjorn was is a no win situation. So many rookies qualified automatically, he had to add some experience to the team.
That said, it is always unknown as to how rookies will react to the situation. Some may fold, some may get inspired. It sound obvious, but rookies only get experience from being picked.
I hope we win, but feel this is a little bit of a transitional side, with some of the stalwarts gone, its time for the next wave to stand up.
Europe had a fairly stable team for quite a few years, hence the relative dominance. You could generally pick the first 8 names.
I sense its now the USA`s turn. You can see most of the team playing in the next few Ryder cups. I suspect Europe's team will change quite a bit through 2020/2022

Back
Top Bottom