• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Not sure if 1080ti is starting to go faulty?

Soldato
Hey guys,

So when trying to see what Scum is all about i experienced a instant PC restart. So like anyone you think weird? Instability? Okay try knocking down overclocks etc. And it still did it. So i put my CPU to complete stock and took off the overclocks on the ram etc. And tried firing up something else to eliminate Scum being the problem so i tried 3d mark and fired up extreme and got a instant pc restart.

So i started thinking crap it's the GPU. So i've took off all overclocks on that and it still did it.
So ive tried furmark (yea i know bad) to put it under load and it does it with this too.

However i'm not sure if its the GPU or the PSU because the GPU has shown no instability in games, no artifacts nothing. But the only problem is my PC restarts when it appears to be the GPU under full load.
For example dota2 isn't a GPU extensive game and i seem to get through games on that no problem but a demanding game and it restarts.

My Psu fan doesn't spin up or anything though just spins at a very low RPM (which suggests it's not even near full load right?)

Anyway all the hardware ;
8700k @5Ghz
1080ti
Seasonic G750 watt.

Not sure how long ive had the PSU now but i'm going to assume it's over 5 years now.

edit -
Already ruled out the CPU. I did stress tests with Aida64 and no issues even when reapplying my overclocks on the CPU. I can use my PC with no problems as normal but firing up something which is demanding on the GPU gets the restarts.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Welp, not sure how i will remedy this and with no suggestions i have taken the plunge on a new PSU seen as my current is over 5 years old. I hope to god it's the PSU and not my GPU causing the restarts. Can't be dealing with forking out for a new 1080ti or better lol.

Associate
Try capping the power limit % in afterburner to 70-80%, see if that makes any difference. If it doesn't reboot then gpu should be ok.

Soldato
Try actually underclocking the card. I have an rx480 that actually won't run at stock speeds any more and just restarts over and over when I run a game or 3d app. When down clocked it works perfectly.
This might also make sure the card just isn't getting enough power.

Soldato
OP
Wow okay not getting alerts anymore it seems lol.
What does Event Viewer tell you?
Nothing other than this that i can see mate. Under critical.
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Try capping the power limit % in afterburner to 70-80%, see if that makes any difference. If it doesn't reboot then gpu should be ok.
Well i can play dota2 no problem but clocks run at 1582 or something like that because it's not a demanding game and never runs up more than 50% usage and my pc can do everything as normal like surfing the web, watching videos. I can play say Destiny 2 for a while but eventually after about 10-15 minutes it will restart sometimes sooner which i guess is from a substantial load on the gpu.

GPU warranty? I'd suggest trying the card in a different system if possible before switching out PSU.
I'm not exactly sure if i have got any warranty left without checking with it being zotac. Because it was 2 years but i'm sure i registered my GPU to get 5 but with it being under water they may get funny about cooler removal.

Try actually underclocking the card. I have an rx480 that actually won't run at stock speeds any more and just restarts over and over when I run a game or 3d app. When down clocked it works perfectly.
This might also make sure the card just isn't getting enough power.
I did try this, got it to 1900Mhz and no overclock on the memory but did still manage to get a restart.

I would have thought if it was my GPU it would show signs of instability in games? like artifacts etc? FPS drops/spikes. With no instability just instant PC restarts is what makes me think its the PSU. Ill try down clocking some more and see. If i have to downclock more than 1800 then i'm going to assume its the PSU because there is no way a GPU can go from running happily at 2050 to suddenly needing a 250~ish mhz drop in core to be stable right?

Last edited:
Associate
Wow okay not getting alerts anymore it seems lol.

Nothing other than this that i can see mate. Under critical.
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Well i can play dota2 no problem but clocks run at 1582 or something like that because it's not a demanding game and never runs up more than 50% usage and my pc can do everything as normal like surfing the web, watching videos. I can play say Destiny 2 for a while but eventually after about 10-15 minutes it will restart sometimes sooner which i guess is from a substantial load on the gpu.

I'm not exactly sure if i have got any warranty left without checking with it being zotac. Because it was 2 years but i'm sure i registered my GPU to get 5 but with it being under water they may get funny about cooler removal.

I did try this, got it to 1900Mhz and no overclock on the memory but did still manage to get a restart.

I would have thought if it was my GPU it would show signs of instability in games? like artifacts etc? FPS drops/spikes. With no instability just instant PC restarts is what makes me think its the PSU. Ill try down clocking some more and see. If i have to downclock more than 1800 then i'm going to assume its the PSU because there is no way a GPU can go from running happily at 2050 to suddenly needing a 250~ish mhz drop in core to be stable right?

When I had a faulty GTX 780 that would simply crash at random with no artifacts or other indicators of instability. That was from day 1 however. What are temps like? I guess water cooling stops any troubleshooting in another system. Do you have a backup GPU to try?

Soldato
Try the integrated GPU on the CPU to test whether it happens if you haven't got a spare one.

Run a CPU stress test such as Aida64 or Intel XTU and see whether this brings on the problem. Have you done any upgrades on your PC recently where cables might have been dislodged/swapped? Make sure the PCI express power cables are firmly attached to the GPU and that you are using separate cables for each power socket on the GPU.

Soldato
OP
When I had a faulty GTX 780 that would simply crash at random with no artifacts or other indicators of instability. That was from day 1 however. What are temps like? I guess water cooling stops any troubleshooting in another system. Do you have a backup GPU to try?
Temps are fine never goes over 40C unless stress testing like furmark which makes it go to 42-43C
Don't have another GPU to test but either way it would need to be another 1080ti so it can pull the same power on the 12V rail i would assume.

Here's a interesting note I've just fired up my PC and tried 3d mark firestrike ultra where it would reboot instantly and today it's not done it. So i'm still thinking it could be the PSU because as it warms up it will loose efficiency. But i might strip my GPU down too and just check all pads and paste to ensure everything is okay under the block.

Soldato
OP
Try the integrated GPU on the CPU to test whether it happens if you haven't got a spare one.

Run a CPU stress test such as Aida64 or Intel XTU and see whether this brings on the problem. Have you done any upgrades on your PC recently where cables might have been dislodged/swapped? Make sure the PCI express power cables are firmly attached to the GPU and that you are using separate cables for each power socket on the GPU.

Already ruled out the CPU. I did stress tests with Aida64 and no issues even when reapplying my overclocks on the CPU. (should have added that to my OP sorry)
Tried Furmark which just stresses the GPU and got the restart.
I have upgraded my system a while ago when the 8700k came out but ive had zero problems with my system until now. Ive tried re-seating the GPU and unplugging and plugging back the cables.

Soldato
Already ruled out the CPU. I did stress tests with Aida64 and no issues even when reapplying my overclocks on the CPU. (should have added that to my OP sorry)
Tried Furmark which just stresses the GPU and got the restart.
I have upgraded my system a while ago when the 8700k came out but ive had zero problems with my system until now. Ive tried re-seating the GPU and unplugging and plugging back the cables.
Have you tried the integrated GPU? I agree that it is probably the GPU or possibly the PSU, but I've had faulty motherboards do this or even a faulty I7 940 that would drop memory channels and reboot the PC as a result.

Soldato
Could be power, but I've had cards in the past that became unstable on stock clocks. Not sure why, I suspect crap quality VRMs which is why I always look in to this stuff before buying one now. Reference cards don't seem to be as prone to it either.

If underclocking it helps, then the card is shagged.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I doubt it is the PSU, as Seasonic are one, if not the best on the market. I would look more to drivers or windows being the issue and if you can play a game with no issues like DOTA2, I doubt it is the GPU/CPU either.

Soldato
OP
Have you tried the integrated GPU? I agree that it is probably the GPU or possibly the PSU, but I've had faulty motherboards do this or even a faulty I7 940 that would drop memory channels and reboot the PC as a result.
I can try integrated but i doubt i will get it to do anything as playing dota doesn't do it at all. Only games which max out my gpu or stress tests.
Could be power, but I've had cards in the past that became unstable on stock clocks. Not sure why, I suspect crap quality VRMs which is why I always look in to this stuff before buying one now. Reference cards don't seem to be as prone to it either.

If underclocking it helps, then the card is shagged.
It is a reference card but underclocking it makes it use less power so the psu wont be maxing out. When i put my system on a psu calculator it reckons that my system will use upto 720 watts. Under around 90% system load because its overclocked. And i have only a 750 watt psu which is atleast 5 years old.
I doubt it is the PSU, as Seasonic are one, if not the best on the market. I would look more to drivers or windows being the issue and if you can play a game with no issues like DOTA2, I doubt it is the GPU/CPU either.
This is what i thought tbh but apparently my psu is a tier 2 psu which is atleast 5 years old. Ive updated my gpu drivers and it still happens. So last thing would be to try a fresh install of windows but event viewer shows nothing in regards to this. No blue screens either. Just restarts. I think trying a new psu might be my best bet to see if the problem goes away if not then it's got to be my gpu and i will cry... never done rma with zotac.

Caporegime
This is what i thought tbh but apparently my psu is a tier 2 psu which is atleast 5 years old. Ive updated my gpu drivers and it still happens. So last thing would be to try a fresh install of windows but event viewer shows nothing in regards to this. No blue screens either. Just restarts. I think trying a new psu might be my best bet to see if the problem goes away if not then it's got to be my gpu and i will cry... never done rma with zotac.
Ahhh, just restarts is something I had before and it was the PSU (I should have read everything I guess). I did see you have ordered a new one, so hopefully that puts pay to it :)

Associate
My Psu fan doesn't spin up or anything though just spins at a very low RPM (which suggests it's not even near full load right?)

Not sure how long ive had the PSU now but i'm going to assume it's over 5 years now.

With an overclocked CPU and GPU at full load I'd expect the PSU fan to definitely kick in from its quiet mode. Is the PSU very warm or hot to the touch after the shut down?

Soldato
New PSU is a good shout especially after 5+ years regardless unless it’s a 10+ year warranty model. While it’s not bad running a PSU at full whack either as they are still efficient at max wattage. 80% load is about the max efficiency I think.

I’ve had my HX1000i flat out 1100w maxed before and all it did was cause my then 980Ti’s to run out of power and underclock.

I’d suspect the PSU is probably on its way out. And as the above comment is it getting hot? Fan kicking in?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ahhh, just restarts is something I had before and it was the PSU (I should have read everything I guess). I did see you have ordered a new one, so hopefully that puts pay to it :)

Yea just restarts, no instability signs or blue screens or anything which would make you think there is something wrong other than the restarts lol. But when it did restart it made me thing instability instantly as you would with a overclocked system but when it's still doing it when taking overclocks off makes you wonder if it really is. It's why i started leaning more towards the PSU seen as it only happens when the system or rather the gpu is under full load seen as the CPU etc is drawn from other parts of the CPU but only the GPU is from the +12v. And yea i really hope the new PSU works out lol. cheaper than a new GPU haha.

With an overclocked CPU and GPU at full load I'd expect the PSU fan to definitely kick in from its quiet mode. Is the PSU very warm or hot to the touch after the shut down?

Yea that's what i thought also, but i never heard it and my system isn't loud also it was only slightly warm to the touch. Maybe it's because of spikes of power? i heard that some seasonic models have reported shutdowns under transient loads such as the Focus models which is a Tier two PSU. So made me thing the PSU doesn't deal with sudden power increase requirements such as when the GPU usage fluctuates it can change the power requirements substantially. It could be why when i launched 3d mark as soon as it started it would restart my system because it when from using hardly any power the maxed out.
I think i'm just trying to convince my self tbh lol but it does seem logical. But maybe that's why i can't hear my fan? it's not under full load but because it peaks/spikes in power or rather what some one else said "transient load" it can cause restarts.

This is what i found on another forum
"FOCUS also breaks spec under transient load, IIRC some people have reported shutdowns with FOCUS(+) PSUs (and their re-brands) when used with high end 1080Tis and Vega cards. "
Mine is not the same model it's the G series but the G series is a tier two PSU apparently same as the Focus models.

New PSU is a good shout especially after 5+ years regardless unless it’s a 10+ year warranty model. While it’s not bad running a PSU at full whack either as they are still efficient at max wattage. 80% load is about the max efficiency I think.

I’ve had my HX1000i flat out 1100w maxed before and all it did was cause my then 980Ti’s to run out of power and underclock.

I’d suspect the PSU is probably on its way out. And as the above comment is it getting hot? Fan kicking in?

Yea this is what i'm assuming, tbh i never thought i was using this much power until i used a calculator, overclocking the 8700k and the 1080ti makes them real power consumers.
PSU was only slightly warm to the touch and never heard the fan kick in, could be wrong.

Also fan does spin i checked to make sure its not a dead fan.

Soldato
A good quality PSU will last ages. I have a Corsair 520hx which still works perfectly.

It's now well over 10 years old, it came with a 10 year warranty so they built it to last!

Back
Top Bottom