Tabletop Warhammer?

Commissario
Unfortunately whilst I've got a couple of spares boxes*, I've not got any scythes :(
Most of my spares are nid, tau and daemons, I was just starting to do a Skaven force when Fantasy got changed and none of my group were interested in AOS for a couple of years (including a couple who had been playing fantasy for 20 years).

@tonym
My order from Firestorm shipped this afternoon, thanks again:D

Soldato
Re the metal stuff, AFIAK GW haven't made anything in metal*

*Thank god they've moved to plastic for virtually anything new.

Sorry I meant to say thanks for your post was v helpful.

But, I am interested why the hate for metals?

Personally for me they were the ones I would always try and get, mainly because they are easy to paint strip and don't break as easily.

When I used to collect them they were still made with lead, they later moved to another metal (pewter??) I'm not sure, but it didn't contain lead due to possible health risks - didn't do me any harm though!

Also (to anyone) but can I be really cheeky and run something past you guys with regards to the rules these days?

1. Can I use a regular space marine Dreadnaught with grey knights?

2. Are there limits on unit types/heavy weapons per army?

3. Bit long winded but:

I have so far:
Grey knight purgation squad (5 guys, seem to have mostly heavy weapons/one guy with sword)
Grey knight strike squad (5 guys mostly swords)
And some captain dude.

If I add a terminator sqaud, and say Dreadnaught, how am I doing in terms of making an allowable army?

Edit: also just ordered a grey knights terminator sqaud, I can't control myself!

Last edited:
Commissario
My experience with metal models was not fun (I got back into the hobby about 15 years ago when plastics were starting to become better than metals), joints that would never stay glued due to small contact areas vs heavy arms (too small area to pin), models where the moulds had been squeezed/deformed slightly in one direction or another so parts didn't fit without use of a dremel* and greenstuff.

Modern plastics are much easier to work with, and with the likes of biostrip you can clean paint off them with ease.

Re the dreadnought with grey knights, I don't think you can on his own, but there are various detachment types and you could almost certainly take him as long as you had a HQ choice to accompany him (so take your Knights as one detachment then the dreadnaught as as an allied one).

Limits on unit types depend on what variant you are playing, and which detatchment you decide to take (also "heavy weapons" aren't quite so important now as virtually anything has at least a chance of hurting anything else).

I'm still not up to speed on 8th edition as I've only played a handful of games with it and don't play imperials at the moment (loads of unpainted models, but never played them)

*Working on fleshhounds of Khorne, Flamers, Pink Horrors and Kroot hounds put me off metal (the flesh hounds were awful, and the horrors require glue be kept with them).

Soldato
Making great progress on my Stormcast Eternal army. Not as fast as Newts though :mad:

I've made a conscious effort to avoid Kill Team or Titan - there just isn't enough time in the day to do it all. And I really want to get some AoS under my belt! And Shadespire - which I see they've just released a teaser video of the next season.

Commissario
I received my Adeptus Titanicus Grand Master this afternoon, so I'm a happy wolfy:)

I'm going to start assembling it in about a week, first off I want to do another normal knight, I got one assembled when a friend popped round Saturday, whilst he was spraying one my brother and I were assembling. ours)

Soldato
Managed to get our first game of Age of Sigmar played yesterday. It may take a few attempts to get adept at it, but it feels like a nice system. Played well and, despite what Newts may tell you, I won (by TKO). It was a little daunting, however, when we first setup the table - I was outnumbered more than 2 to 1 - but spells and my ballistae were the difference. That, and someone rolling TERRIBLY when attacking my Evocators :D

Soldato
Managed to get our first game of Age of Sigmar played yesterday. It may take a few attempts to get adept at it, but it feels like a nice system. Played well and, despite what Newts may tell you, I won (by TKO). It was a little daunting, however, when we first setup the table - I was outnumbered more than 2 to 1 - but spells and my ballistae were the difference. That, and someone rolling TERRIBLY when attacking my Evocators :D

Didn't finish the game, it was a draw :p

Yeah my rolling was horrific. 56 attacks at 4+ to hit, 3+ to wound and he could only save on 5+..... I managed 3 wounds :D

Was fun but I was horribly unprepared and can now see how important magic is going forward.

Soldato
Ok so I hit up eBay and got a load of metal ones now.

Painted my first 5, well, 5 first five in what, 20 odd years? Grey Knight Strike Squad.

IMG_20180901_141929.jpg

Ebay is really working out though for older metal ones, got hold of 5 terminators, another 5 strike squad marines (they have been coverted a little so they have more swords) and Brother Captain Stern.

I got a metal dreadnaught on the way. I will get hold of the original codex book, but looking at a PDF of the points page, seems a regular dreadnaught is listed in there so I figure it must be legal to have one in a Grey Knight army somehow.

I got some plastics too (of which, 5 terminators are brand new still in box) but I think I might sell them on again and I will try to see if I can build 100% metal (ye ye I know, but I am oldskool!) - if anyone is in the market for plastic grey knights let me know.

Soldato
Thought I should finally show some of my models. I haven't been painting long, and I'm putting them up in order that I've completed them. I think it shows my progress from poor faces and mouldlines (which I'll fix one day), to an almost acceptable tabletop standard :D

vOQ9lwL.jpg

RTCtuwM.jpg

ppMlp2B.jpg

Soldato
I'm aware that I have lots of improvements ahead, but comments and criticisms are appreciated. I'm aware of the mouldlines and need for more highlighting particularly on my older models - but I thought they could be a sort of measure of improvement for me.

Soldato
To be honest you’re advancing really well for a new painter :) highlighting skill just comes with practice. Be sure to try and watch the official warhammer painting tutorials on YouTube.

Soldato
To be honest you’re advancing really well for a new painter :) highlighting skill just comes with practice. Be sure to try and watch the official warhammer painting tutorials on YouTube.
Thanks a lot!

I'm just about to starting the finishing touches on my Stormcast army. I've completed another unit of Sequitors, so I have three battleline units. The last unit I want to buy is a group of 5 Evocators. I have Astreia Solbright as a Lord Acanum and three Evocators on Dracolines all ready to paint but I am really nervous about them - they have huge flat areas and I worry I'm going to do a crap job! Plus I'm unsure on colours.

Soldato
Managed to get my hands on the original AoS box with the Storm cast/Khorne split with all models in (most, not all, assembled none painted) for £40. Half going to @Pookie Bear for £20.

Well happy as I was going to be getting a stormcast army for my son anyway and this has the general I would have bought and the liberators which would have cost £60+ bought separately!

Soldato
Managed to get my hands on the original AoS box with the Storm cast/Khorne split with all models in (most, not all, assembled none painted) for £40. Half going to @Pookie Bear for £20.

Well happy as I was going to be getting a stormcast army for my son anyway and this has the general I would have bought and the liberators which would have cost £60+ bought separately!
I'm happy to get my hands on the Khorne half - at least I'll get some practice painting flesh!

edit: and I won't need to buy any more models until at least 2019!

Back
Top Bottom