*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Dude you really should back up your phone. So easy to do. Photos and contacts you are happy to just lose?

I don't see the issue with the cloud saves .yeah they may delete after subscription lapses but once you start it again they will be uploaded again.

No big deal .

Caporegime
The main thing which bugs me about the Switch Online stuff is the "need" for a phone app for voice chat. It is typical Japanese behaviour of getting something wrong, and rather than ditching it (as that would be admitting they were wrong) they're continuing to pursue it despite it being a terrible/crap option. Its typical Japanese culture of defiance and trying to "save face"

fez

fez

Caporegime
No big deal .

It’s just another little slap in the face from Nintendo. Not all of us can afford to just pop out and replace a console if it breaks, gets lost or stolen. I don’t want to pay for online when I don’t have a console.

The amount of data that will be in the cloud is minuscule as well. They could keep it for 10 years and it wouldn’t cost them more than a few months of subscription.

There’s just no good will involved in Nintendo’s policy on this.

Soldato
Dude you really should back up your phone. So easy to do. Photos and contacts you are happy to just lose?

I don't see the issue with the cloud saves .yeah they may delete after subscription lapses but once you start it again they will be uploaded again.

No big deal .

Photos - I manually download all photos to my PC every couple of weeks.
I do have OneDrive also but I only use this since it comes free with Microsoft Office, so I can view my photos on the move.

Contacts - Backed up on my PC and synced whenever I connect my phone for uploads.

Soldato
I'm quite excited to play some NES stuff which I've never played before. SMB3 people always go on about - be nice to have a go at that. The original Zelda and Metroid - never played them. For me it will be cool to have these on my Switch with whatever else comes along. I'm at 500+ hours combined for online play so that's something I want to continue with. I don't use cloud saves but I guess it's nice to have if I ever did need it. Can't disagree with the phone app comments because it's just crap - though I've never tried to use it. I don't use chat in the other consoles either as I only play solo so it's actually not that important to me, personally. £17.99 pa is such a small amount that I'm ok to pay it to play online. The rest of it is a bonus to me.

Associate
I can't see myself spending too much time with the NES games but they'll be fun to dip in and out of, I think they'll be quite a big hit too. If they offer more platforms in the future it'll be amazing, I could see them charging extra for that and having a tiered subscription.

Unrelated, I'm really enjoying the Xenoblade 2 story expansion, certainly one of the most substantial expansions I've played. I think the battle system might actually be better than it is in the main game.

Caporegime
Takes all sorts. A friend of mine who spends about 80% of his gaming time on retro classics is really excited about it. Me? Maybe the original Zelda & Metroid but thats it. Zero interest in the others!

Heres hoping it expands to SNES, then N64 etc...

Associate
It's a shame Super Mario Bros U Deluxe misses Chrimbo as its a perfect party game - still an instabuy nonetheless!

Mario Bros Wii is probably one of my all time top 10 console games, up there with SNES Mario Kart. :)

Associate
This afternoon I hooked up my Switch to one of my monitors and plugged headphones into the headphone out - all fine. However, it leaves me with limited sound options (no external sound as my monitor has no speakers).

A quick question, has anyone purchased a Bluetooth dongle which (presumably can plug into the dock) which allows a Switch to output sound to external Bluetooth stereo systems. I own a Denon PMA-50.

I am looking at the 8Bitdo Bluetooth dongle, I am just wondering if it will work for sound?

Thank you in advance.

Associate
This afternoon I hooked up my Switch to one of my monitors and plugged headphones into the headphone out - all fine. However, it leaves me with limited sound options (no external sound as my monitor has no speakers).

A quick question, has anyone purchased a Bluetooth dongle which (presumably can plug into the dock) which allows a Switch to output sound to external Bluetooth stereo systems. I own a Denon PMA-50.

I am looking at the 8Bitdo Bluetooth dongle, I am just wondering if it will work for sound?

Thank you in advance.

I use a 'Creative BT-W2 Bluetooth Audio USB Transceiver' with a pair of TaoTronics IPX6 Bluetooth headphones and it works great. I don't think this dongle is guaranteed to work with all headphones/hardware though.

The switch doesn't support generic USB bluetooth dongles, however it does support USB Audio so many dongles that have their own hardware interface for translating the USB audio will work with supported Bluetooth headphones (the PS4 wireless headset works on Switch for example).

I see the Denon PMA-50 has a USB-DAC port, so if it's nearby you could try a USB A-B cable.

Last edited:
Associate
Any Tales of fans here and for those that are into collecting special editions, Bandai announced a Premium edition of Tales of Vesperia for all platforms...annoyingly the Switch version is £10 more than Ps4&Xbone but rather annoyingly they are sold out on pre-orders now on their website.
would have loved to have got it on Switch,but have to settle for PS4 version for now.

Edit: Scratch what i've just said, they have released more pre-orders available for Switch version.

Soldato
let us know what that dongle is like please ? would be a good option for local multiplayer rather then having to get another pro pad :D
Eventually got round to testing it.

Comes with a usb a to c adaptor so you can use undocked also has button stickers to put on your controllers which is a nice touch.

Did a quick firmware update via USB on the PC

Put in the usb at the back of the dock and put it in purple led mode for Pro emulation, changed a setting in the switch dash and it paired the DS4 no problem.

X and O were the wrong way round for A/B but this can be changed with a button combo on the pad.

Played Mario Kart and is sublime, no noticeable lag.

Well worth the £19.99

fez

fez

Caporegime
Can anyone see a reason not to share a family sub of NSO between some friends?

I don't think so. The only thing you have to be wary of is letting a maniac control the account. There are user levels involved so I think you have to give different people different amounts of power. I reckon Nintendo will shut this sort of thing down quite quickly once they realise that 8 thirty-somthing men are part of a "family".

Soldato
Does the rumble work on the DS4? I turned it off once for some reason then played some Mario Kart and it was pretty weird having no rumble. It's subtle but when it's not there it's really noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom