Spec Help - First Time Watercooling

Associate
Hi Guys,

Thinking of giving watercooling a try. Will only be doing the CPU as there are no blocks for my RX 480 - probably upgrade that later.

Case is Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG. Processor is X99 platform.

So far I’ve got this together but will probably be going second hand:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
I’m going to go for hard tubing. Unsure which tubing, fittings and coolant i’d need though?

Soldato
Best to get tubing and fittings from the same manufacturer. Saves problems with slight differences in size.

Coolant - lots of good premixed fluid available now with all the biocide/anti-corrosive properties you'd want. Some people still avoid coloured fluids, especially red, as they can be hard to flush out completely.

Have you got appropriate fans?

Associate
OP
Best to get tubing and fittings from the same manufacturer. Saves problems with slight differences in size.

Coolant - lots of good premixed fluid available now with all the biocide/anti-corrosive properties you'd want. Some people still avoid coloured fluids, especially red, as they can be hard to flush out completely.

Have you got appropriate fans?

Ok, so I would probably go for the nickel EK fittings as well then. The G1/4 10/12mm and pair with EK’s hard tubing?

I like the look of the mayhems pastel blue so would probably go for this. Either that or clear as other colours don’t really appeal to me. According to the pictures the mayhems pastel colours are fine to use with EK tubing.

Nope, sorry forgot to mention fans. Too many to choose from I like the noiseblocker e-loops, noctua, corsair sp and EK vadars any recommendations?

Soldato
Yes that tubing and fitting combo should be fine.

Vardars are considered excellent radiator fans, Noctua are good fans but make sure you get an appropriate model. The other two should also be fine really. I have original Corsair SP120s and they can be loud as hell, I assume the newer models are more acceptable as they're slower.

Associate
OP
Yes that tubing and fitting combo should be fine.

Vardars are considered excellent radiator fans, Noctua are good fans but make sure you get an appropriate model. The other two should also be fine really. I have original Corsair SP120s and they can be loud as hell, I assume the newer models are more acceptable as they're slower.

Thanks Lucky, I’ll probably go for Vardars or NB then. With the res and pump, as it’s my first time, would it be safer to go for a combo or does it make no difference?

Also trying to work out why there is a £20 difference between the CoolStream SE 280 and CE 280?

Soldato
Thanks Lucky, I’ll probably go for Vardars or NB then. With the res and pump, as it’s my first time, would it be safer to go for a combo or does it make no difference?

Also trying to work out why there is a £20 difference between the CoolStream SE 280 and CE 280?

Hmm, can't comment on combo vs separate Res/pump, aside from less space and fittings/tubing. I have a combo and it's kinda easier to figure out what to put where that way.

From a quick search, the SE radiators are 28mm and the CE ones are 45mm thick :)

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, think combos would be cheaper and easier but less aesthetically pleasing. May opt for that being it's my first time.

Will stick with the CE rad then unless you have any recommendations?

Soldato
Not much difference, the first one is ONLY for x99 and X299, so if you don’t use either of these platforms don’t get the first one.

Most people use the second one, covers most modern intel sockets. If I were buying new that’s what I’d get.

Associate
OP
Not much difference, the first one is ONLY for x99 and X299, so if you don’t use either of these platforms don’t get the first one.

Most people use the second one, covers most modern intel sockets. If I were buying new that’s what I’d get.

Thanks, I running X99.

Do you know if there is anything different with the block or is it just different backplates included?

Soldato
Thanks, I running X99.

Do you know if there is anything different with the block or is it just different backplates included?

As far as I can tell it’s mounting. I’ll look at it a bit more.

EDIT : I think they’re identical. I think ones more expensive because of the multiple mounting options.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As far as I can tell it’s mounting. I’ll look at it a bit more.

EDIT : I think they’re identical. I think ones more expensive because of the multiple mounting options.

Ah ok thanks, when you say mounting options do you mean the backplates which come with it?

Associate
OP
Had another look on EK's website and think I can see the difference now.

The X99 specific one has an 'error-preventing mounting mechanism' which looks to be that the mounting screws are attached in position so that you just screw it in to the motherboard back plate.

The standard version looks to allow you to move the screws for the different backing plates. Hope this makes sense, I'm going to pay the £6 extra for the flexibility of the standard one.

Associate
OP
This is what I have in my basket so far, slight change from OP but does it look alright compatibility wise?

Total: £142.17 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Soldato
This is what I have in my basket so far, slight change from OP but does it look alright compatibility wise?

Total: £142.17 (includes shipping: £10.50)
Yep that all looks good and compatible - this is just for one rad, with a combo res/pump right? Just considering the 6 fittings.

Back
Top Bottom