• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

Soldato
What's the lowest spec I can get away with in this setup:

- 9900k OC on air only
-16GB RAM
- 1TB SSD (already have it)
- need 10+ usb ports. max is usb 3.0. Mainly for simrig components and VR
- 2080ti
- Onboard audio. Nothing critical just VR headband audio and basic youtube etc.

I don't care for RGB or a bunch of fluff that I'll never use.

Spends top end money on CPU, GPU, SSD, VR kit but skimps on Motherboard.... Seems legit ;)

Soldato
Is the 9900k expected to be a power hungry cpu? The reason I ask is that every board in the Gigabyte Z390 range linked to above has 8+4 pin cpu power connectors apart from the Z390i Aorus Pro WiFi.
Standard boards are 8-pin. Overclocking boards are 8+4 pin. Extreme overclocking (LN2) boards are 8+8.
Some of the MSI boards can deliver 540 watts to the CPU. :eek:

Man of Honour
Great thread guys. Have been lurking for a couple of days. What do you think it will do to the second market for 8700k as was hoping to pickup some good deals.

In my opinion not a lot, they can't make enough of them to meet demand and prices have been heading upwards. The new chips will likely launch in limited numbers and be expensive, in turn this keeps the price of the second hand 8700k high along with the retail price of the 8700k artificially high. I might be wrong but for now the best time to buy an 8700k has already gone.

Associate
Spends top end money on CPU, GPU, SSD, VR kit but skimps on Motherboard.... Seems legit ;)

Legit as they come. Doesn't mean I enjoy being wasteful:

F99iuIK.jpg
F99iuIK

K1oOkbj

Associate
On mobile so i don't know if it's just for me or not. But a lot of pictures on these forums show up as an image symbol sometimes or maybe always followed by IMG in square brackets.

Soldato

I think the motherboard is one of the most important components. It brings everything together, transmits the power and had a lot going on on it for the money. I've never regretted buying a decent quality board, not the most expensive but one with higher quality components.

I also suspect it makes a difference to the stability of the system along with a decent power supply. That's worth an extra £50-£100 to me just to save the hassle!

Soldato
I think the motherboard is one of the most important components. It brings everything together, transmits the power and had a lot going on on it for the money. I've never regretted buying a decent quality board, not the most expensive but one with higher quality components.

I also suspect it makes a difference to the stability of the system along with a decent power supply. That's worth an extra £50-£100 to me just to save the hassle!

+1 to this, if I'm buying a 9900k I'm damn well making sure i buy a mobo with the best Vrms etc.

Back
Top Bottom