***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
Just got myself a EJ 89, stand and brush as a birthday present. Initially I have some basic super-max blades.

Any recommendations for next set of blades?

Soldato
Just got myself a EJ 89, stand and brush as a birthday present. Initially I have some basic super-max blades.

Any recommendations for next set of blades?
IMO definitely worth trying several - I found Astras surprisingly aggressive, Feathers lovely but very sharp, currently enjoying Gillette 7 o'clock greens.

Soldato
IMO definitely worth trying several - I found Astras surprisingly aggressive, Feathers lovely but very sharp, currently enjoying Gillette 7 o'clock greens.

I'll second 7 O'clock greens, they work really well for me too. A very comfortable blade.

Or if you want an almost identical feeling & performing blade at considerably less cost then get some Voskhod teflon coated. You can get 100 blades (that's over 2 years worth for me) for something like £8. They're my go-to.

Soldato
I'll second 7 O'clock greens, they work really well for me too. A very comfortable blade.

Or if you want an almost identical feeling & performing blade at considerably less cost then get some Voskhod teflon coated. You can get 100 blades (that's over 2 years worth for me) for something like £8. They're my go-to.
Curse you, another brand to try now :D

Soldato
I think you'll be fine as long as you aren't charging for them, plenty of people have shipped blades/handles to other posters in this thread.

It's great that people are willing to send blades to others to test because you really don't want to be buying 100 and then find out you can't use them, I know you can buy sample packs but they work out quite expensive for 20 blades.

Anyhow to update my previous posts I have tried Derbys, Merkurs, Gillette 7 0'clock yellows, Shark yellows, Cheap Tesco ones, Personna Mediprep, Gillette Platinum and Feathers now and Feathers are definitely the best for me by a long shot.

Soldato
Thanks Maundie. In that case, @LuckyBenski if you fire over your details I'll get them sent out to you. Apologies for messing you about.
No problem at all, I'd be very grateful :) Will send those over now.

While we're on the topic, I'd be happy to send along my assortment of blades to someone who wants to try them - should be a few Astra, Gillette 7 o'clock Green and a Feather or two.

Edit: I can't send you a trust, is there another way to PM that I'm missing?

Soldato
@Yadda you need to enable your trust for someone to message you via trust.

@LuckyBenski if you wouldn't mind I'd like to try a couple of Astra and Gilette Greens if you don't mind, I can offer a few Personna Medipreps and Gillette Platinum Blue if you wish

Soldato
No problem at all, I'd be very grateful :) Will send those over now.

While we're on the topic, I'd be happy to send along my assortment of blades to someone who wants to try them - should be a few Astra, Gillette 7 o'clock Green and a Feather or two.

Edit: I can't send you a trust, is there another way to PM that I'm missing?

I've never used Trust before and have just signed in for the first time. Try it again now.

Thanks fellas.

Soldato
Details sent, thanks !

And received. No problem, I'll get them in the post tomorrow. Have you tried any other blades other than those you mention above? If not i can include a small selection of others if you like - I have some left over from a sampler pack I bought some time ago.

Soldato
And received. No problem, I'll get them in the post tomorrow. Have you tried any other blades other than those you mention above? If not i can include a small selection of others if you like - I have some left over from a sampler pack I bought some time ago.
Sure, sounds good - I've only tried the mentioned ones. My Futur clone came with some Chinese ones I daren't use.

Soldato
@Maundie, trust me your details and I'll pop some in the post. If I don't end up sticking with Voshkods I'll ask for a few of yours to try :D

Incoming!!!

Sure, sounds good - I've only tried the mentioned ones. My Futur clone came with some Chinese ones I daren't use.

I don't blame you, I bought some cheapo ones from Wilko and they were only good for 1 shave and then cut my face to bits

Soldato

I have a pack of Chinese blades that I've never heard of too, they're sat unopened in the back of the drawer. I had some Dorcos free with something but to my surprise they were ok. I'll have to try the others dometime. I think the biggest difference between them and the mainstream blades us the QA - you're far more likely to come across a dud blade in a pack of Chinese blades.

I posted those blades around mid-afternoon so they should be with you by Friday at the latest. :cool:

Soldato
I have a pack of Chinese blades that I've never heard of too, they're sat unopened in the back of the drawer. I had some Dorcos free with something but to my surprise they were ok. I'll have to try the others dometime. I think the biggest difference between them and the mainstream blades us the QA - you're far more likely to come across a dud blade in a pack of Chinese blades.

I posted those blades around mid-afternoon so they should be with you by Friday at the latest. :cool:
Awesome, cheers :)

That's definitely what I'm after - consistency. I was surprised that one or two of the Feather blades seemed to get blunt after just a shave or two. Maybe a symptom of starting out so sharp, dunno.

@Maundie I'll make a little pack up tonight!

Back
Top Bottom