Rugby union?

Soldato
OP
I've no problem with big spending on quality overseas players, they improve the league and therefore help improve the English players who play in it.

I dislike the foreign journeymen, the ones that are bang average and do seem to be taking up a space that a youngster could be developing in. I'd like to see a minimum salary for overseas players.

Associate
I've no problem with big spending on quality overseas players, they improve the league and therefore help improve the English players who play in it.

I dislike the foreign journeymen, the ones that are bang average and do seem to be taking up a space that a youngster could be developing in. I'd like to see a minimum salary for overseas players.
agreed.

I'm looking to get back playing rugby next year after have got a little fitter. havent played since my late teens where i used to be a tight head prop, but now i have my full adult body i think i would probably be more suited to a loose forward or dare i say it a back :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Another training session, don't feel quite so bad after this one, still not great though. Having a good time though.

Having clearly made an impression with my pace, footwork and handling, it looks like I'm going to start being moved towards tighthead... any tips?

Associate
Tomorrow it will be to have breakfast after work while watching the All Blacks-Australia game :) Could be a good one, and a good way to chill out after a night shift.

Soldato
OP
Missed almost all the weekends rugby, becoming a frequent occurrence unfortunately, once life settles down I hope that I'll start to get some more, or be able to watch it during the week more easily.

Soldato
Missed almost all the weekends rugby, becoming a frequent occurrence unfortunately, once life settles down I hope that I'll start to get some more, or be able to watch it during the week more easily.

You can get all the highlights and I think still full matches for free on the premiership rugby website. Highlights go up Monday afternoon, think full matches a bit later.

Soldato
OP
Yeah i know. Not the same as watching live though since i know the results.

Going to a sports physio/injury place on Friday. Try and sort my back to be good to play.

Soldato
OP
Well that was interesting. Some needles into my muslces, then a scraping chinese massage thing over my back. Got a sore shoulder, but my back feels a bit looser than it has in a while, certainly less uncomfortable. Hopefully a good nights sleep to rest the bruising will see it feeling good in the morning. 2nds are playing, but I'll not be involved, since there's no way I'm going to prop this early in my learning. I'll practice hard on wednesday though, and see if I fancy it next week.

Soldato
OP
So had my first game yesterday. Uncontested scrums in the end, so a bit more time to practice. Feeling alright after it, bit achy, but nothing serious. Burned the back of my hand since we were on artificial turf. Made some carries, some tackles and even got myself a try at the end :).

Associate
So had my first game yesterday. Uncontested scrums in the end, so a bit more time to practice. Feeling alright after it, bit achy, but nothing serious. Burned the back of my hand since we were on artificial turf. Made some carries, some tackles and even got myself a try at the end :).

Good done :) I hope I will at least be able to drop by my club to watch some matches this season but work is making it tricky. But it seems like both the 1st and 2nd teams have done pretty good progress since last season and we are getting more players coming in as well.

Soldato
OP
Had my second game on saturday. Contested scrums... that was an education! Something in my setup was off, I got beaten in every scrum, but generally after a few steps backwards would catch myself into a strong position and hold it. Going to work on it in training on Wednesday (assuming I've fully recovered!). Think if I can work out that initial stronger position, I'll be a lot better off.

It was cold and wet, but once again we won by 50+, and we nilled the opposition. Best news was that they are 2nd in the league (we are top), now we're clear by a few points too. We've got a bunch of kids that are rapid as anything. Pop up from a scrum to see the ball 60 yards down the pitch :D. One time we had a clean break after a scrum and I simply said "B*llocks to chasing that." the opposition loosehead remarked that he was thinking exactly the same :D.

Associate
haha, I know that feeling about the pacy youngsters.. Have played with and against a few of them and its a bit like "ow, ffs, get back here" :D The only game I played last season we played against a very young team that did beat us badly when they got the ball wide to the quicker players but when we kept the ball tight we were able to overpower them.

Associate
haha, I know that feeling about the pacy youngsters.. Have played with and against a few of them and its a bit like "ow, ffs, get back here" :D The only game I played last season we played against a very young team that did beat us badly when they got the ball wide to the quicker players but when we kept the ball tight we were able to overpower them.
Aah yes, good old route 1 :)

Soldato
OP
Training last night, sessions are getting tougher! Few muscles are very sore this morning. Thankfully it's just a friendly this weekend, so I'm going to just rest up instead.

Soldato
OP
I'm nowhere near as nimble as I was as a kid. But I stepped one of the 1st team wingers in a training exercise yesterday :D made me feel rather happy! Not bad for an old, but new, tighthead.

Soldato
OP
It's a real killer for him, bet he never wastes time again though!

Was on an RFU safeguarding course today, starting to coach at u7s. I'll actually be able to run around tomorrow too, since there was no game today for me!

Figure if I can do some coaching, and actually get somewhere with it, then when I actually realise it's really silly to keep playing ;) I can stay in the game quite easily.

Back
Top Bottom