• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Soldato
Is it worth swapping my 6700k @ 4.7, I game at 1440 and also use VR.II was thinking of a 2700x or wait for the new Intel chips and hopping a 2800x comes out.

It's WMR I use for VR.

Pointless. Wait for zen2 and possible pcie4 or the new Intel chips. Even 2800x would be pointless at 10 core, just not fast enough single core compared to what you have.

Pointless upgrading to 2700X right now with 7nm Ryzen about 6 months away, also if your playing VR stuff and basically just gaming 24/7 why not look at the Intel 8600 instead? that offers great single threaded perf, if you want more cores then the 8700k or 8086k is probably ideal.

As someone who uses an 8c /16t CPU dont bother swapping unless your workload on your PC cries out for more cores, so unless you do stuff thats going to require more cores the 2700X right now is just not worth it.

I think currently Intel beats AMD at VR? im not 100% certain as i dont use VR myself, i would imagine choice of GPU is also extremely important? might be worth trading up your 1080 for a 1080ti for more VR performance while you hold out to see what the 7nm refresh of Zen brings.

Always nice to get a practical dampener on an upgrade itch :)

As I had started to be more aware of the up and coming Intel and AMD changes I wondered, just a little, about my i7 6700k. But at 4.7ghz it more than holds its own, and the itch is settling down.

Soldato
Always nice to get a practical dampener on an upgrade itch :)

As I had started to be more aware of the up and coming Intel and AMD changes I wondered, just a little, about my i7 6700k. But at 4.7ghz it more than holds its own, and the itch is settling down.

Yes if you don't have a top end GPU that would be a better place to put your money. As would a higher resolution screen, your CPU will last a good while yet.

Soldato
I need some assistance with tweaking the RAM.

So I got the Team Group Vulkan 3200MHZ RAM which was on offer recently.

m5TjS2x.png

I used D.O.C.P. and I am running the RAM at the standard 3200MHZ settings on an Asus B450 mini-ITX board.

I tried using the Ryzen calculator for C16 timings - anyone here know what settings I would need to get 3000MHZ or even 3200MHZ at C14??

I am currently use the stock cooler as I don't really intend to overclock the CPU yet,but any suggestions on a decent low profile cooler??

Associate
I tried using the Ryzen calculator for C16 timings - anyone here know what settings I would need to get 3000MHZ or even 3200MHZ at C14??

Unless I am missing something, the Ryzen DRAM Calculator should tell you exactly what you need to do for 3000 or 3200 C14? How are you inputting your data into it? I think the latest version of it, you just click a button and will read the data itself.

Soldato
Unless I am missing something, the Ryzen DRAM Calculator should tell you exactly what you need to do for 3000 or 3200 C14? How are you inputting your data into it? I think the latest version of it, you just click a button and will read the data itself.
Run calc, import xmp, set to 3200, click fast timings, will give you some settings for 3200 @ CL14

Thanks but it brings up an error - "show delays in nanoseconds" and yet I can't see any option with Thaiphoon Burner.

Edit!!

Oh,needed to switch it to report mode! Doh!

Second Edit!!

So I assume the V1 profile,as it gives 3200C14 settings.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry its not "import xmp" its "R - XMP" you dont really need thaiphoon anymore. ( I think)
Yes, and V2 is more for C16 IIRC

Also, you have single rank memory, it looks like, so make sure you select that.

Thanks - I might upgrade the CPU cooler from stock first as I assume pushing the memory controller will increase the power consumption of the CPU??

Soldato
@CAT-THE-FIFTH.

Try not to use V1 or V2 to start with. Just use the imported data from Thaiphoon Burner to start with, which will show up as "Custom" within Dram Calculator. Use the Safe settings to start with as well, once you have run Memtest or Ramtest on those settings you can save them and you then have a fallback to go to if Fast settings don't work.
Just another pointer as well, if you want to try faster ram settings don't just change the settings and then save and re-boot. Load optimized defaults then save and re-boot, then load your faster ram settings. Belt and braces with Ryzen is the way to approach any ram clocking, don't leave anything to chance.

Soldato
@CAT-THE-FIFTH.

Try not to use V1 or V2 to start with. Just use the imported data from Thaiphoon Burner to start with, which will show up as "Custom" within Dram Calculator. Use the Safe settings to start with as well, once you have run Memtest or Ramtest on those settings you can save them and you then have a fallback to go to if Fast settings don't work.
Just another pointer as well, if you want to try faster ram settings don't just change the settings and then save and re-boot. Load optimized defaults then save and re-boot, then load your faster ram settings. Belt and braces with Ryzen is the way to approach any ram clocking, don't leave anything to chance.

Thanks. ATM,I am just using the standard D.O.C.P. settings which AFAIK are running the RAM at the AMD equivalent of XMP. So far its been fine although and I am using this set:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/teamgroup-t-force-vulcan-tuf-ddr4-3200-mhz-review,1.html

OcUK had it on offer recently and it was either single ranked Samsung or Hynix from my research and it had Samsung.

Soldato
pricing is crazy all over the place on cpus right now even amd.

High end ryzen chips are closish to RRP, but low end ryzen chips have the gouge effect same as intel e.g. ryzen 1400 same price as 1500x and both same as a 1600x, there seems to be a base price that none is willing to go below so they charge that regardless of model.

Soldato
pricing is crazy all over the place on cpus right now even amd.

High end ryzen chips are closish to RRP, but low end ryzen chips have the gouge effect same as intel e.g. ryzen 1400 same price as 1500x and both same as a 1600x, there seems to be a base price that none is willing to go below so they charge that regardless of model.

I got my Ryzen 5 2600 in the last week for £137 delivered!!

Soldato
I need some assistance with tweaking the RAM.

So I got the Team Group Vulkan 3200MHZ RAM which was on offer recently.

m5TjS2x.png

I used D.O.C.P. and I am running the RAM at the standard 3200MHZ settings on an Asus B450 mini-ITX board.

I am currently use the stock cooler as I don't really intend to overclock the CPU yet,but any suggestions on a decent low profile cooler??

wow just optimised my sammy B at 3200 Mhz with my 2400G, gained about 10-15 more FPS on the Vega 11, Unreal. Had no idea about this until I read your posts lol.

Associate
Mindblown!
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom