**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Associate
Hi,

I think the tyres on my car (BMW 325i M Sport Coupe) are just about due for replacement (all 4), I currently have the following:

Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Zero Pressure (Run Flat)
225/40/18 Front
255/35/18 Rear

Would the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 be a good choice?

Any comments/recommendations would be appreciated :)

Caporegime
Hi,

I think the tyres on my car (BMW 325i M Sport Coupe) are just about due for replacement (all 4), I currently have the following:

Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Zero Pressure (Run Flat)
225/40/18 Front
255/35/18 Rear

Would the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 be a good choice?

Any comments/recommendations would be appreciated :)

Are you happy going non-runflat? The F1A3s do come in a run flat version but I've never seen it in the UK.

Associate
Are you happy going non-runflat? The F1A3s do come in a run flat version but I've never seen it in the UK.

I think i'd be ok, I can't say I have ever noticed it being an overly harsh ride with them, but I have always had the Eagle F1 on other cars and I do try to avoid most of the pot holes around here.

Caporegime
I think i'd be ok, I can't say I have ever noticed it being an overly harsh ride with them, but I have always had the Eagle F1 on other cars and I do try to avoid most of the pot holes around here.

Looking at Blackcircles I'd initially have gone for Michelin PS4 but they don't do the rears in that size, so yeah F1A3s I reckon are a safe buy.

Soldato
The premium contact 6 also seems to bybe there abouts in below 19" sizes.

Have just ordered 4 ps4's in 235/40/18 at £116 fitted each which I thought was a decent buy

Associate
Definately need new tyres (service today and they need replacing) and also a new wheel as one of the rears is cracked, not sure if it's worth seeing if it could be repaired or just replace it (BMW quoted £845 for the wheel, but found a new one at another BMW garage for £350!).

Soldato
Yeh, they're crap and dangerous for you and others on the road as they have very poor aquaplane resistance. AD08R's are crap too, but a bit better than the Nankangs.

Both are massively less competent in the wet than a good normal road tyre.

Man of Honour
Anyone know how terrible Ns2r's are in the wet? Obviously not an ideal tyre but they're on my new daily runaround. I know AD08R's are surprisingly OK in the wet.

NS2R are supposed to worse than AD08R.

They don't feel particularly confidence inspiring at motorway speeds in heavy rain, enough so I'll back 10-15mph off my speed and sit in the inside lane

Soldato
205/55/16 tyres. Anyone have experience with Firestone Roadhawks? Scored very well in AutoBild and ADAC testing, and are a fair whack cheaper than the Michelin Primacy 3s I was looking at.

Associate
I wouldn't get it welded, but I wouldn't recommend getting a brand new alloy either. Good condition second hand MV3 alloy wheels are ten a penny, and will match your current alloys a *lot* better than a brand new one will.

I had a look and couldn't find too many that looked in a great condition, the current wheels I think had been refurbed before I bought the car a few years ago and they still look almost brand new (apart from the cracked one! although that's on the inside of the RIM so you can't see the crack easily)

Soldato
Ah right.

If you do go down the brand new route - if you order on BMW parts website (parts supplied by Park Lane BMW) they'll give you 20% off before the 4th November bringing a new alloy to around £330. If not, other dealers do discounts on forums!

Soldato
I ran over a piece of wood that looks like it had a nail in it this morning. It's punctured both passenger side tyres.

The fronts are relatively new and have plenty of tread left but the rears are done. I'm going to replace the rears and keep the P-Zeros on the front until they're ready to change.

I've absolutely no idea what to go for. It has P-Zeros on it now but I don't want to get them again. These are some that people have recommended already:

Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06
Michelin Super Sport
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Car is a 2012 Merc CLS550 on 19s. I live in the US so it rarely sees rain and doesn't get used when it snows so a summer tyre is fine. Any recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom