Triple monitor setup question

Associate
Hi all,

I've got 3 monitors and would like a triple setup.
Current GPU's: 1x Quadro 2000D with 2x DVI (also have a 1x GTX 275 Zotac available with 2x DVI).

Monitors:
2x Dell 2700fp 1600x1200 (VGA and DVI Only connections)
1x U3014t 2560x1600 (DVI, HDMI, DP)

What is the best option to set up an 4960x1600 ?

From what I was reading, I don't think Nvidia allows these two to work on the same system anymore, they also use different drivers. So can they be used together would be the first question?
Any thought on what the minimum requirement GPU for this would need to be?

What is the most cost effective way for me to get to the triple screen setup with what I have ? (mostly used for 3DMax)

Would the cleanest option be to get a card that has 1x DP/HDMI for the 30" and 2x DVI's for the smaller monitors?

Here's how I want to place them:
https://imgur.com/gwYnJtF
https://imgur.com/bV70Kfj

I've seen people do 4960x1600 PLP nvidia gtx 780, so I assume gtx 970 would be fine too, or am I wrong?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just to confirm are you trying to span the screens together, so as to make one large 4960x1600 desktop, are you referring to nvidia mosaic?
just one resolution with one taskbar spanning all 3 screens is fine, not sure if that is mosaic or not?

I have bought a gtx 970 and will give it a go with it - I did not have an integrated video card

Soldato
just one resolution with one taskbar spanning all 3 screens is fine, not sure if that is mosaic or not?

I have bought a gtx 970 and will give it a go with it - I did not have an integrated video card

If your running Quadro it's called Mosaic, and you would need either a Quadro or NVS card that supports 3 screens, or two compatible 2 monitor Quadro cards, so another Quadro 2000. This can't be done with unmatched cards such as your Quadro and a Geforce.

Card such as a Quadro P400 would also do it.

Another option is to use the GTX 970, that should span 3 screens by it self

Associate
OP
If your running Quadro it's called Mosaic, and you would need either a Quadro or NVS card that supports 3 screens, or two compatible 2 monitor Quadro cards, so another Quadro 2000. This can't be done with unmatched cards such as your Quadro and a Geforce.

Card such as a Quadro P400 would also do it.

Another option is to use the GTX 970, that should span 3 screens by it self

nice, thanks for confirming that! that resolution needs indeed at least 3 GB of memory from what I've been googling. Will post results here soon

Soldato
Re the 3GB thats about correct.

With screen memory it's not just the resolution, it's also applications that are running CUDA. What happens is if you run out of memory Nvidia drivers start to use the computers main memory (thats slower), so a good amount of graphics memory is always good, especially if your running CUDA apps.

Soldato
Very nice and well done. Only suggestion I would try and get those screen lifted higher.

I use Ergotron LX triple, however any good triple monitor stand should do for your screens as expect there is not much weight in them.

Associate
OP
Very nice and well done. Only suggestion I would try and get those screen lifted higher.

I use Ergotron LX triple, however any good triple monitor stand should do for your screens as expect there is not much weight in them.
once the office is cleaned up they will go onto the wall directly =) but good advice!
cheers

Soldato
once the office is cleaned up they will go onto the wall directly =) but good advice!
cheers

Just be aware you may want to bring the monitors forward, so might want to consider a wall stand that off-sets them forward from the wall, otherwise wall is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom