do you leave your computer switched on 24/7

Caporegime
No,because I care about the environment.

I think it’s time we introduce a further tax on high energy consumption households, I’m going to apply for some funding of a 5 year study to show the revenue available to the government if they introduced a tax on these households leaving electrical goods on all day.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

No, why would you.

Mine has been on 24/7 since August when I put the 2950x in it - before that it has was on for 9 months continuously - many reasons - 3D Rendering, compiling, running VMs, statistical analysis, machine learning algorithms, running simulations etc. It's never not doing something.

No,because I care about the environment.

I think it’s time we introduce a further tax on high energy consumption households, I’m going to apply for some funding of a 5 year study to show the revenue available to the government if they introduced a tax on these households leaving electrical goods on all day.

High energy households already pay more tax.

Soldato
I leave mine on 24/7 as it goes bonkers on booting, scan disk always comes up I have checked MSCONFIG but I don't know why it does it.

Shut it down it takes ages to boot up as I have a 250mb ssd, 2x 1tb hard drives and a 3 tb drive and a 5gb external drive.

I think it might be a bios issue not sure. But waiting for it to scan 10tb is a long process and gets on my nerves at 10am when I just want to read the news. Am not a morning person.

Edit I did not realise I had that much storage. lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine is ‘on’ 24/7 but it’s mostly in sleep mode. It’s also an iMac so not exactly some juiced up, 900W ‘leccy slurping gaming rig even when I’m using it!

Soldato
I did used to - but even then there was no real need.

With an SSD, everything loads super quick.

Pretty much this.

When it used to take a few mins to fully boot, it was a bit of a nightmare. Now with PCs booting in seconds there's no real point.

Don
Work PCs on all the time - even across the whole business the energy saving of turning 35W HP Minis off vs inconvenience of turning them back on, and possible risk of issues happening on bootup isn't worth it.

Home PCs only on when required - with SSDs is all my PCs I don't even bother with hibernate anymore as clean boot and launching apps is plenty quick enough.

Permabanned
OP
Nowadays though these pc's use so little energy when idle. Plus it's better on the components to be a constant temperature. Powering on and off must take it's toll.

Soldato
I used to 'sleep' it when i went out to work/gym/shopping etc. and shut down over night. That was until i came back from work and for whatever reason it had done something (guessing a windows update) and basically gone back to day 1 week 1 of Windows 10. Fortunately a system restore restored everything, but after that i shut down if it's being left for more than an hour or two, leave on for less than that.

Soldato
Nowadays though these pc's use so little energy when idle. Plus it's better on the components to be a constant temperature. Powering on and off must take it's toll.

Very true its more beneficial to keep your PC on as it will be at an ambient temperature, especially when it gets cold.

Spinning hard drives, liquid cooled systems up from boot play havoc with the system when its cold. I never shut mine down in winter.

Its not too cold atm but am just having issues with boot so I have left it on. It wont be getting shut down in the next few months when the cold sets in.

Last edited:
Soldato

I used to leave my machine on 24/7 when I was younger after reading about the damage caused by frequently heat cycles but unless you're not turning it on and off every 5 minutes, I reckon you'd have replaced the machine long before it started to show any symptoms of heat cycling.

My machine uses about 60w at idle so it gets powered on whenever I first need it each day and will stay until I go to bed. I'll put it on standby if I know I definitely won't be using it for a good portion of the day though.

Caporegime
~130w for two servers, pfsense router, two switches some smart home stuff etc, left on all the time, costs something like £100 a year to run.

Other machines get started when first used then left on for the day.

Back
Top Bottom