Lara Croft's facial model - 2013 reboot vs ROTTR + SOTTR

Associate
I've looked this up before, and it seems the majority prefer her face/model in ROTTR over the 2013 reboot.

Personally I far prefer her face as per the 2013 PC reboot. I've even looked for mods to give her that face in the ROTTR, and all I've found is calls for a mod to switch her face in the 2013 reboot with the ROTTR model, with a minority who prefer it the other way round (like me).

Where does this forum stand on that? Are we who prefer Lara 2013 the extreme minority?

Associate
Your not alone, I think in the first game she still bares a resemblance to Lara Croft.

A desirable trait for the lead character in a Tomb Raider game!

Associate
OP
Looks like the console/definitive edition version of Lara 2013 in that video.

I'm all for the puritan 2013 PC version of her.

QTsuqpB.jpg

Naff screen shot, but I don't have many. The best screenshots were to be had up that radio tower, which I don't have any saves near.

Glad to know someone else is not a fan of her ROTTR face. She looks about 12 years older in ROTTR / a completely different person, though others online dismiss that claim as her being a 'bit more mature and better looking'. No way that's the case in my eyes. In the original 2013 PC version she looked very nice, like a university student I guess, if I was to place her age/stage in life.

Associate
OP
Not sure, i did like the way she looked in 2013, but i think she looks better in Rise of the Tomb Raider over all of them.

I honestly don't get why or see how, though sounds like you're in the majority going by google. In my eyes she's a 9.9/10 in TR and a 6/10 in ROTTR at best. I consider the face change immersion breaking to say the least.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I also preferred the 2013 most also. Not played the latest one yet. But from that video I like the 2013 most. Why do they keep messing with her face so much with each game? Looks like a different woman in each game.

Soldato
I also preferred the 2013 most also. Not played the latest one yet. But from that video I like the 2013 most. Why do they keep messing with her face so much with each game? Looks like a different woman in each game.

Not saying this is why, but i believe they are trying to depict a timeline and natural ageing within that timeline. The games are all tied together of course.

Soldato
They made her chubbier and less athletic. Because apparently having good looking women in games isn't P.C any more, we can't have eye candy for guys!

Didn't you see Mass Effect Andromeda? All the women look like they were hit across the face with a shovel :D

Last edited:
Associate
They made her chubbier and less athletic. Because apparently having good looking women in games isn't P.C any more, we can't have eye candy for guys!

Didn't you see Mass Effect Andromeda? All the women look like they were hit across the face with a shovel :D

Don't know, That Kassandra in AC is fairly easy on the eyes.. in a weird not real kind of way. #basementdweller

Soldato
Personal preference for me is RotTR Lara although TR Lara still looks more the part in that RotTR Lara doesn't look particularly tough and suited to character.

What the hell were they thinking with SotTR? Reminds me of one of the facially bloated Mass Effect: Andromeda characters.

Last edited:
Associate
ROTTR graphics on PC are a long way ahead of SOTTR not just her face the environments & everything else!

Digital foundry and a few others on YouTube have put up several videos showing this is not the case.

I thought you changed you're mind on these crazy thoughts after playing the game ;)

Soldato
I think her 'assets' were reduced in Rise and Shadow compared to 2013 too. Personally, I find the de-sexualisation of Lara highly offensive! She never looked better than in 2006 Tomb Raider Legend - that was peak Lara. Beautiful!

Associate
OP
Looking at the stills at 1.30 i prefer the TR look, then SOTRR then Rise.

I'd agree with that order. There should be a 4th face in that comparison, as there were two faces for Lara in the reboot (Definitive Edition/Console vs first PC release). She's been a tad sexed up and looks a bit more 'aggressive' for lack of a better word in the definitive edition, along with a ruddier complexion and larger eyes, which isn't to my preference as she looked perfectly fine originally, but still miles better than her face in Rise or Shadow and was obviously still 'her' rather than a new face.

Here's a comparison:

One could also take issue that in ROTTR Lara's personality was as flat and dull as a board, whereas she seemed a bit more intense/distressed in the reboot, which fit her and the game pretty well.

Soldato
PC 2013 fan here. I was dismayed when they changed her in console version and the sequels, they removed her distinctiveness.

She looked so cute and distinct on PC:

x5jcdool2gy11.png

Only blind person can prefer the console/sequel one :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom