Ubuntu?

Soldato
Going to build myself a pc soon.

Looking at using Linux instead of Windows.

Which is the best one? Easiest to use? Works!

I will be gaming, a little. I will want to convert all my DVDs to mp4 too so want to do that effortlessly too. I dont want to be messing with tweaking things. Some things, yea, but mostly i want a smooth distro. Ta

Associate
Ubuntu isn't a bad place to start as there are many forums and help pages to be found should you want advice or help. Linux Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu that you could also try, but I don't have any direct experience of that to comment on how it compares in terms of whether it needs tweaks; I suspect it is similar, and much of the Ubuntu help on the web should still apply.

As regards gaming, you'll probably know that Steam works fine on Ubuntu. Which games (or types of games) are you looking to play?

Soldato
OP
Ubuntu isn't a bad place to start as there are many forums and help pages to be found should you want advice or help. Linux Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu that you could also try, but I don't have any direct experience of that to comment on how it compares in terms of whether it needs tweaks; I suspect it is similar, and much of the Ubuntu help on the web should still apply.

As regards gaming, you'll probably know that Steam works fine on Ubuntu. Which games (or types of games) are you looking to play?

JC4

Associate
I don't know of any news about whether Avalanche Studios will make Just Cause 4 available on Linux, although they did make a Linux version of Mad Max.

While some Windows titles will run on Linux via Steam Play (using the WINE/Proton compatibility layer), those that don't often fail due to the DRM protection used. You can keep an eye on https://www.protondb.com/search?q=just cause but it looks like the previous installments of JC used DRM that won't work through WINE, so it's not looking hopeful unless AS formally develop a Linux version.

Man of Honour
For a new user I always recommend either Ubuntu or Mint Cinnamon. Mint is based on Ubuntu and gets all the advantages of that (and instructions for how to do things on Ubuntu will usually work on Mint too). But it looks and feels a bit more like Windows..

However don't expect all (many?) of your old games to work on Linux. If you are a heavy games player then Linux isn't yet ready to replace Windows even though some good advances have been made recently. I guess a question to ask is what is the reason you want to move to Ubuntu? What problem will Linux solve for you? Without a desire to fix a problem then many users tend to go back to Windows as soon as a few inevitable problems arise.

Soldato
OP
I got no pc at present, only a tablet, android. Is it possible to download Unbuntu on my tablet and put in on a usb stick so that my pc which i am going to build soon can be booted from it and installed?

Associate
I got no pc at present, only a tablet, android. Is it possible to download Unbuntu on my tablet and put in on a usb stick so that my pc which i am going to build soon can be booted from it and installed?

You can download a Ubuntu (or any other Linux distro) ISO onto your tablet, but I don't know of any way you could then burn that onto a USB stick. You may not need to though as you can plug your tablet directly into your future PC as a bootable USB storage device and present the PC with the ISO image you downloaded. You'll need something like USB Mountr (https://github.com/Streetwalrus/android_usb_msd) or DriveDroid (https://softwarebakery.com//projects/drivedroid) on your tablet; I have not used these myself, and these may only work on certain tablets and/or need the tablet to be rooted.

Man of Honour
If you get really stuck then I'm sure someone would be happy to burn an ISO to a USB stick and send it back if you post it to them. I'd be happy to do it if you wanted.

If you were closer then I'd have been happy to show you the basics after installation too. but sadly you're a bit far from me.

Soldato
I haven’t used it in quite a while, so I don’t remember what it’s like, but if you want to game on a Linux based system, then [SteamOS] has got to be included in the mix, it’s obviously aimed at gamers and should do the other stuff you want also?

Back
Top Bottom