TV upgrade, help me choose!

Associate
I've decided to update my 6year old Samsung 40" LCD TV for something a bit bigger and more up to date and thought I'd ask you guys for some ideas. I've been looking at the LG OLED55C8, but from reading around I wonder if I'm going over the top and non-oled would be fine...here is what I am after:

- 55 inch
- Samsung or LG, mainly because the UI is very important to me, especially integrated Netflix and it's 4k content
- Used primarily for TV Freeview, Netflix and a little bit of Xbox when allowed! (Maybe 4 hours a week!)
- As thin a bezel/frame as possible and the thinner the TV the better as am going to mount to wall
- Ideally I'd like it to be available to buy from Richer Sounds or John Lewis and no more than £1700...happy for it to be less if OLED isn't necessary for me in your opinion!

I think that is about it...any help much appreciated! I know eff all about nits etc and the proper stuff you guys know about.

Cheers.

Associate
I'm a long time member of AV Forums and the amount I have read and tried to take in has been pretty vast, not as in OLED or LCD more which OLED and I'm hoping to get the exact same TV as you the LG OLED55C8 - The B8 version is currently available at around £1,300 - I'm hoping the C8 hits £1,500 on Black Friday, if it doesn't I'm unsure if the C8 is worth an extra £300 over the B version.

Either way the LG OLED is a massive upgrade in viewing pleasure over your Samsung, my daughter brought an OLED 2 years ago, each time I go into her home the picture quality looks amazing, I had a Samsung 7-8 years ago, replaced with a Panasonic 680x but now it has tobe OLED for me.

Caporegime
OLED is the rolls royce of tv's it's hard for us to say if it's over the top for you because we don't know how much £1500 means to you.

it will beat any LCD for your usage.

you have 3 options

decent LCD without FALD = 9/10 - £750 55" NU8000
decent LCD with FALD = 9.5/10 - £1150 55" XF90
OLED = 10/10 - £1300 55" B8

I don't know why you are looking at the C8 the B8 is pretty much the same thing the only difference is the processor. So the C8 can handle HDR and 120hz content. Whereas the B8 can only do one or the other. So either 120hz with no HDR or HDR but limited to 60hz. I personally don't know any HDR content that runs anywhere near 120hz so I think the C8 is a waste of money.

the B8 to me seems like the best option for you. you save £300 over a C8 and is £400 below your budget.

also UI makes no difference IMO when you can buy a amazon fire stick or chromecast for less than £50 they can be upgraded with time. so i'd rather buy a tv with better PQ and crap UI like the XF90 and use a fire stick than buy a crap tv just because the UI is better.

and thin a bezel/frame as possible and the thinner the TV the better as am going to mount to wall. all tv's are thin and have thin bezels these days unless it's a low end tv. i would rather go for a better tv with a slightly thicker bezel as it will still be thin than a crap tv with no bezel. so it's another mute point IMO. if you can show me a tv for around £1700 (your budget) from john lewis that has big bezels i'd love to see it. also thickness makes no difference either. with how thin they are these days.

Associate
OP
That's really useful info thanks both. Psycho - some fair points only thing I would say regarding UI being important is because my family like the ease of use, but I totally get what you're saying!

LG B8 it is :)

Soldato
UI is important, I'd rather buy a TV now with good app support than be having to buy and use additional hardware to achieve the same thing. It was one of the reasons the LG OLED appealed to me, it supports pretty-much every streaming service out there including Now TV and has a good Spotify app too, which meant I could dump the Now TV box and Chromecast.

Associate
OP
UI is important, I'd rather buy a TV now with good app support than be having to buy and use additional hardware to achieve the same thing. It was one of the reasons the LG OLED appealed to me, it supports pretty-much every streaming service out there including Now TV and has a good Spotify app too, which meant I could dump the Now TV box and Chromecast.

Also this :)

Caporegime
i have an LG so I know what you are saying.

all i am saying is if i had to decide between a better tv with worse UI and a worse tv with better UI. i would go with the better tv and buy a fire tv for £50

Back
Top Bottom