• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX Vega 64 loss of signal problem.

Soldato
I built a new PC recently but I've been having problems.

Here's the build.
AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 2700X 4.35GHz (Socket AM4) Processor
Samsung SSD 850 Evo 1TB
Toshiba 2TB P300 7200RPM Performance Hard Drive (HDWD120UZSVA)
MSI Optix G24C 24" 1920x1080 VA FREESYNC 144Hz 1ms Curved Widescreen Gaming Monitor
OcUK Value Blu-ray / DVDRW combi SATA
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Glass Midi Tower Case
Bitfenix Formula Series 750W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
Alpenfohn Ben Nevis Advanced CPU Cooler - 130mm
Gigabyte Aorus RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual/Quad Channel Kit
Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 64 WindForce OC 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7 AMD X370 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Everything other then the SSD is brand new, which come from my old build.

I've had problems from the start, to begin with the machine would turn itself off whenever I ran a game, but in the end I plugged in 2 different PCIe plugs instead of using a daisy chain off 1 rail, which solved the problem.

But afterwards, very rarely, my monitor would lose signal, sometimes after 10 seconds the picture would come back, other times the fans would absolutely take off and the picture would stay off, causing me to turn off the PC.

I made sure all my drivers and BIOS, motherboard and GPU, were up to date, but the problem kept happening, I even tried undervolting the GPU to see if that helped.

Last night I had 2 black screen within 30 minutes, 1st time, the picture come back, 2nd time it didn't. I noticed I was using the beta/optional radeon drivers, so I uninstalled them and put on the tried and tested version, which seemed to be going well until earlier today.

I decided to install Dark Souls 1 with the DSfix, worked fine for about an hour then I got a blue screen error, believe it was driver_irql. Didn't think much of it, just put it down to bad DSfix settings.
Reset the machine and tried Tomb Raider, got a blue screen within 2 minutes, reset machine, got another blue screen within a minute, doing nothing on the desktop. This happened several times.

I then went into safe mode to uninstall the radeon drivers, but the uninstaller did nothing, it just sat there, I increased the screen resolution while this was going on and I got another blue screen. Long story short, I got several blue screens in safe mode.

By now I've had enough and I just want to wipe the machine and reinstall Windows, I insert my USB installer and as soon as it tries to load Windows, I get more blue screens.

Last thing I do is go into the BIOS and do a factory reset, now everything works and I'm able to install Windows, which is where I am at the moment.
I've not changed much in my BIOS, the only thing I did change was to enable XMP. I don't know much about XMP but I was advised to enable it when I built my machine.

After all this, the PC worked fine for about 4 days without a fault, then I had 3 black screens, but they've not lasted as long as the other black screens and they havn't resulted in crashes.

I've asked on the AMD forums, it was suggested that I up the power limit to +50%, which I've done.
It worked for 2 days but I had another black screen tonight, but thankfully no crash.

Can anyone give suggestions on how to locate and fix this fault?

Soldato
Bitfenix Formula Series 750W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

If correct your PSU is multirail, having 4 rails.
You need to make sure 2 different 12v rails are feeding the GPU independently without anything else connected to the cables.

Consult your PSU cable diagram which 2 cables you need to feed the GPU.
Also for future, always buy single rail PSU.

Soldato
Try under volting the Vega 64
Set power limit to 50+
Set all voltage to 1000 for p6/P7 and HBM
Next on P7 drop the core speed from 1632 to 1597
Next
Increases the fan max speed to 3500 and set both target temperature to max 85c

These setting will reduce the GPU power output a lot while keeping temperature on core around 70c and HBM under 80c
And will give you around 1550 speed.

I run these 24/7 on my Vega and it runs maxed out at P7 perfectly.

Associate
Regarding the VEGA I recommend these settings:
Try those settings mate and let us know how it goes.

2KnIO3B.png

Bear in mind if you play old games like Elder Scrolls online, SWG, right click where it says State 7 Max and select "Minimum"
But I would advice to make profiles for those games and not do it on the generic profile as it will keep the clocks high even on desktop.

I had a 10% increase in 3Dmark score with these.

Soldato
Regarding the VEGA I recommend these settings:

I had a 10% increase in 3Dmark score with these.

Tried them while they are decent, they run the hotspot over 100c on a ref air cooled VEGA 64 while only getting a few extra mhz on the core. The issue least for me after some gaming time the GPU will down clock to p6 state to keep the hotspot in check. My settings keep the GPU running at p7 state all the time.

With my settings I get lower temps, and a hotspot temp that doesn't go over 100c keeping HBM under 80c

29796245fdd9b99bc3d8d8cce8c8a570d7e38e5029eb530cebe6af36511f895c39b21936.jpg

Permabanned
Try a different monitor cable and cable socket on the gpu. I wouldn't bother trying anything else, From reviews it seems that the Gigabyte models the worst of the aftermarket Vega's and if it is the card & it won't run stably at it's out of the box settings return it, You should have done this straight away to get a full refund & then grab one of the AMD only branded Vega's, From what I've read & what I've experienced with an RX560 Gigabyte's AMD range have had questionable build quality for a couple of generations.

Soldato
OP
Says pre-order only.
What do you think the chances are or OCuk, letting me buy the card, then when it arrives, send the other back for a refund?

I don't have a laptops or anything like that, so without this PC I'm stuck on my phone.

Soldato
Can you try a different DP cable? A shorter one if possible, some of the cheap cables and some of the ones included with monitors can cause the black screens. The shorter the cable the less chance the quality of the cable is going to matter. I went through the same experience as you with my 290 card and my Asus Monitor. Was blaming the card, the drivers, the monitor, but, I decide to try a different DP cable and that solved the problem.

Soldato
OP
I replaced the displayport cable on Sunday, but my problems continue.

Playing a game tonight, I got the usual black screen, but instead of the picture coming back, the screen slowly went blue/white.
RdP7UT4.jpg

Once I turned the monitor off then on again, it started working.

Soldato
OP
I bought a Super Flower 850W and installed it yesterday.
I had a bit of a wierd moment in BFV last night, but I assumed that was because I was playing around with the settings. Then today I got a black screen for a few seconds while playing Minecraft. :(

Soldato
OP
Have you tried it with FreeSync off ? (if you have it on), as its a major problem with FreeSync, the Black Screens, as well as flickering.

Thanks, I have been using FreeSync. I'm using my old 970 for a few days to see if the problem happens, but once I put my Vega back in, I'll try it with FreeSync off.

Regarding the coil whine, is this something to be concerned about?

Back
Top Bottom