Fury - Wilder thread

Don
I get all that regarding the scoring, but imo, boxing is about being to knock someone to the canvas if not knocked completely out, and that's what Wilder did and Fury didn't. :p
I'm not sure you do get it. If you don't actually knock somebody out then all you can do is go to the scorecards and acknowledge the knock down on the scorecards, which they do by giving you a 10-8 round.
On another note that was likely the best heavyweight fight in the past 10 years, hopefully it keeps up.
Based on skill or entertainment? Wilder-Ortiz, Joshua-Wlad and Whyte-Chisora were all more entertaining for me.

Soldato
I get all that regarding the scoring, but imo, boxing is about being to knock someone to the canvas if not knocked completely out, and that's what Wilder did and Fury didn't. :p

It's quite clearly not, otherwise there wouldn't be a points system

Also if it was just about KO's then you'd just get two guys windmilling

Soldato
Call me ignorant, but whether Wilder got schooled or not, he's the one that put Fury to the canvas not once but twice, and fury didn't get close to putting Wilder down. How does that not make Wilder the winner, or, the better fighter?

It isn't judged on knockdowns.

Don
You really need to watch the fight. Wilder got lucky. Luck is part of it, it always is, but he was out-classed by a boxer who has come back from near oblivion and lost 10 stone, with only 2 (VERY easy) tune ups under his belt.

A rematch is a total gamble for Wilder. It has to be in the UK, and I have Wilder losing against a prime Fury.
Can't see it happening in the UK. Fury is still the challenger so unless there's much more money in the fight in the UK then why would Wilder come here? And fwiw, there's more money in the US.

Transmission breaker
Don
Can't see it happening in the UK. Fury is still the challenger so unless there's much more money in the fight in the UK then why would Wilder come here? And fwiw, there's more money in the US.

You don't think the rematch would fill a big arena in the UK? This was an 18k arena in the US? It was a $75 dollar ppv vs £20. Would there not be more ppv income from the US over arena tickets?

Caporegime
Corruption aside, how the hell Fury got up after that brutal knockdown in the 12th is beyond me. No wobbly legs or anything. Then went and put his hands behind his back again :D Guy is a freak of nature.

Soldato
So basically if that Rochin judge hadn't made a mess of the first four rounds, Fury would have won?

He also would have won without the KD in the 12th, even though Rochin seemed to have tuned into another fight?

Just unbelievable

Don
You don't think the rematch would fill a big arena in the UK? This was an 18k arena in the US? It was a $75 dollar ppv vs £20. Would there not be more ppv income from the US over arena tickets?
Oh it would sell out a stadium over here now, no doubt but relatively speaking the difference in revenue from tickets won't be much. 80k at Wembley might bring in £8m but 20k in Vegas with much higher average ticket prices is probably bringing in not much less.

The killer is the PPV income though. I'm not sure whether they hit the 1m US PPV target for this fight but they shouldn't have a problem doing so for a rematch and even after taking the broadcasters cut, you're probably looking at north of £30m in revenue. If that fight happens in the UK then US PPV probably drops 75%. UK PPV just isn't worth as much - I have no idea what BT will have done tonight but peak Joshua on a much more established platform in UK fights is doing around 1-1.2m PPV buys or approx £10-15m once Sky take their cut.

Soldato
Great way to start the day, waking up to another big boxing fight with a dodgy scorecard. Not seen the fight but what I've gathered from various outlets is that Tyson made Deontay look like an amateur and the only notable offence from Deontay was 2 knockdowns.

Back
Top Bottom