Bringing family member from outside UK

Associate
Hi all,

Cutting short the long story:

I have moved to the UK 3 years ago with my partner.
Recently my partner's mother was diagnosed with lung cancer and she is currently doing the treatment. Till now she was able to be independent and cope with daily tasks. But in the last couple of weeks she has become more fragile relying on other people.

We are currently very well integrated and stabilised on our work. One solution would-be to go back to our country and the other would be to bring her over.

The thing is can she continue to do the treatment here in England for free?

If she stays as our depend would that allow her to continue the treatment here in England?

Whom should I contact to ask information about this? Thought about gp but not sure if they can help. Have sent emails to cancer research and also to McMillan but their answer was a bit vague. They suggested send our enquiries to the department of health and social care and also citizen advice. Will do this next week but would like to know if there are more options and suggestions. They also advised to contact the GP. Will try but not sure if he can help.

Is there anyone out there that know someone or has got a direct member of family that happened this?

Thank you in advance. BR

Soldato
I think that unless your mother-in-law is from the EU then you may have an issue. Does she have medical insurance?

All insurance companies will avoid Cancer treatment like the plague and won't pay out. They will push you towards the NHS.

In reality you may be able to get treatment first and questions later. Whether that's morally wrong is questionable.

I wish you the best possible outcome. :)

Man of Honour
One solution would-be to go back to our country and the other would be to bring her over.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...rents-grandparents-and-other-dependants-set08

The thing is can she continue to do the treatment here in England for free?
no, unless your MIL has the visa above granted

If she stays as our depend would that allow her to continue the treatment here in England?
see above

if you MIL comes over to the UK, she is only entitled to emergency care (ie A+E only) - if she gets admitted, or needs routine care (ie cancer treatment), you'll have to pay out of pocket/medical insurance.
although i'm pretty sure getting medical insurance with a diagnosis of cancer is nigh on impossible

if for example, your MIL gets admitted for 1-2 days for a chest infection, it'll cost ~£1000-2000, most hospitals will send an invoice, but most likely won't chase for payment as this isn't cost effective.
however if you're thinking about cancer treatment...it's definitely a different matter, as this can cost in the tens/hundreds of thousands of pounds. dont expect cancer services/expect to pay.

declaration of interest: doctor

Soldato
Why not, I've paid in to the NHS all my working life, as have my parents.

I'd quite happily have my own children wait a little a longer so dear old mother in law can get free treatment.

Soldato
Come on over it is the world health service after all.
You pay taxes right and contribute more to UK than the natives, and the NHS would not exist without immigrants.

Am I right?

Last edited:
Soldato
If she's undergoing treatment now it's arguably best for her health if she continues that treatment where she is and one of you takes special leave etc and goes to support her.

Taking her out of treatment into a new facility will cause details to her treatment etc. She may have a lengthy wait here whilst being refereed and then prior to treatment.

Associate
People should leave their opinions our of this and stick to facts.

Can't help but have an opinion when the NHS is litterally on its **** and people are asking if someone who has never contributed to the system can come over here and get free health care.

Yeah, pop over, bring her whole ward and the good british people will fund it cause we're mugs like that.

It's unfortunate someone is poorly sick and unable to look after themselves but the NHS is already strained and should be left for the people who actually pay for it, and not a charity that puts it under ever unnecessary strain for people who, if not sick and in need, in a different country, would never bat an eyelid of its existence let alone contribute.

Permabanned
The "if it wasnt for the immigrants the NHS would collapse" thing really winds me up. If it wasnt for the gross mis-management of Doctor and health professional education, training, and recruitment, the UK would have had a much higher employment of native people. Germany is 4.2% foreign health-workers, but even now they have problems with 3500+ doctors leaving each year for other less bureaucratic places.

As much as a sypmathise with the OP, he should either pay for treatment in the UK, or find a way to have the family member treated in the country they paid tax into during their working life.

It might only be £300 million a year for people taking the NHS for a ride, but it is morally wrong, plus I do not believe that figure for a second, when are these figures ever accurate?

Back
Top Bottom