• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
The fan speeds I'm seeing are not what is set in Afterburner or Wattman so I'm rather confused. Changing settings in either application seems to do nothing.
I would definately DDU - but make sure you remove the thrid party tools as I mentioned. - I had an rx 480 with this issue and this fixed it on old drivers.

Associate
The artifacting I was getting earlier doesn't seem to be related to the undervolting option I had enabled when it first happened as it still does it with the card at stock and all option set to default so must be a driver issue with that game I guess.

Associate
Well for the first time ever I'm going to have to use DDU as a last resort. Started the driver upgrade, screen went blank, stayed blank and went into power save mode. Had to repeatedly reset the PC to get into safe mode (why on earth they removed F8 key option I don't know).

From safe mode used the bundled AMD cleanup utility, managed to boot, started installation again - blank screen + monitor power save.

Repeated again, but this time tried to download another driver once booted into windows normally. While I'm doing this Windows automatically tries to put a driver on - blank screen again. So it appears that now any attempt to put any AMD display driver on results in no display and the screen going off - brilliant.

Pleased to say I finally fixed the above with a combination of DDU in safe mode, removing the network cable, re-installing the AMD chipset drivers, rebooting and then installing 18.12.2.

Phew!

Associate
Well for the first time ever I'm going to have to use DDU as a last resort. Started the driver upgrade, screen went blank, stayed blank and went into power save mode. Had to repeatedly reset the PC to get into safe mode (why on earth they removed F8 key option I don't know).

From safe mode used the bundled AMD cleanup utility, managed to boot, started installation again - blank screen + monitor power save.

Repeated again, but this time tried to download another driver once booted into windows normally. While I'm doing this Windows automatically tries to put a driver on - blank screen again. So it appears that now any attempt to put any AMD display driver on results in no display and the screen going off - brilliant.

I had similar issue after removing the new drivers (18.12.2) with DDU in safe mode, I kept getting black screen and power saving mode coming up on my monitor in windows so couldn't install the drivers again. I reset bios settings to default (to remove CPU/RAM overclocking ), then kept retrying in safe mode, had to do it quite a few times. I think i eventually got it working using safe mode with networking, updated drivers with windows update, removed drivers with DDU in safe mode again, then I could install earlier version of drivers 18.11.2.

I did tighten up my RAM overclock settings about a month ago so it's also possible they might not be as stable as I thought.

Caporegime
I don't care about the new features, if im not having any problems with the drivers im on (which is currently the 18.10.1s), then i just don't update, as as you can see, people are having problems with these, and have probably only updated to them, from drivers that they were not having any problems with at all, they probably only updated, for the new features :p

I can't believe some are actually trusting the auto undervolt, overclocking, when they don't even trust the built in driver uninstaller to remove them, they use a 3rd party program to uninstall em called DDU! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
A common mistake after using ddu is to not update the chipset drivers for AMD - as DDU, also gets rid out them.

I do believe these tools can be too aggressive or like you say overlap into areas they dont need to touch. I made a system restore before the last overhaul of display driver and glad I did as it blue screened on the following install.

Associate
Had to roll these back, got a BSOD during initial install, uninstalled them and re-installed them which worked. But then Zero RPM mode seemed to stop working as soon as I turned on manual fan curves and then wouldn't let me enable it at all. Memory clock isn't down clocking and was constantly on 800mhz.

Associate
I do believe these tools can be too aggressive or like you say overlap into areas they dont need to touch. I made a system restore before the last overhaul of display driver and glad I did as it blue screened on the following install.

I tend to agree with this. However, I was getting desperate with my PC refusing to display anything within about a minute of logging in! Thankfully I don't think there's any ill effects this time.

Associate
Fan control does not work on my 64 nitro+ anyone else? It crashes radeon settings the moment I try a fan curve. Afterburner fan curve does not work either. Reverted back to 18.12.1.1, do not use DDU to revert back as it launches AMD drivers 18.12.2 installer on every boot, the solution is to clean install previous drivers without DDU (they might give it support yet).

Associate
I've abandoned this release and have returned to 18.12.1 now. I think Wattman in 18.12.2 is playing up causing weird artifacts, despite resetting to default - I resumed from sleep to see a garbled mess. Suffice to say I'm going to leave it a while.

I again had to go through the safe mode rigmarole - on checking Windows Update history it is butting in and trying to install a display driver from September 2017 which I think is unlikely to work with a Vega 56 - could explain the blank screens. Might see if I can disable driver updates via WU but pulling the network cable works for now!

Associate
new drivers working good for me on reference, vsr works on ultrawide up to 5k ultrawide. the auto undervolt is good for the people who do not wish to change stuff on there own, i still use my own however. the fan curve is the best feature from the upgrade which should have been available much sooner. getting the same scores in timespy with the same profile as previous to the upgrade so no performance loss either there.

Soldato
Installed the drivers, set up my game undervolting profiles.
All is OK except when Alt+tab (or pressing window key) takes 2-3 seconds to refresh the screen. Any game.

Few things.
a) With 18.12.1 everything was bit blurry. With 18.12.2 everything is fine again
b) It reset the default screen resolution to 60hz.

So far no issues.

Soldato
I would definately DDU - but make sure you remove the thrid party tools as I mentioned. - I had an rx 480 with this issue and this fixed it on old drivers.
I tried a DDU and got a BSOD. Tried to DDU again from Safe Mode, this time it worked. So I have 18.12.2 installed fresh, with Afterburner uninstalled. I prefer a fan "step" rather than a fan "curve", but I'll give the WattMan fan settings a try for now.

EDIT: Nope, this won't work. For some reason as soon as I put in a manual fan curve, the "Zero RPM" toggle doesn't do anything, so it's sat at 29% fan speed whilst idle instead of 0%. Back to Afterburner I guess...

Installed the drivers, set up my game undervolting profiles.
All is OK except when Alt+tab (or pressing window key) takes 2-3 seconds to refresh the screen. Any game.
Yeah this is what I'm seeing too. It's like what I'd expect if the desktop and game were running at different resolutions and/or refresh rates, except they're not. Hmm.

Back
Top Bottom