*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
I know it applies to everything in life but I don't recall any Zelda being as divisive as BOTW. I personally didn't find much to enjoy on it but others have managed to find the magic I was unable to. Honestly makes me a bit sad because it's my favourite franchise and I can't work out why. On a plus, that magic was found on Mario Oddyysey.

Soldato
Ordered an 8bitdo Bluetooth dongle so I can use my PS4/Xbox controller instead of having to buy a switch pro controller.

I am slightly addicted to BOTW! It’s so good
I finally picked up a pro controller today :( hate spending that on a pad instead of a new game but now it's done! Should have done it right at the start :D

Soldato
Just to be certain, there's no discount option for having the game on Wii U is there?

I remember there was from Wii to Wii U

Looking to pick up Mario Kart 8 Delux for on the go play but I already have it on Wii U and £40 seems very expensive for a game I already own.

Man of Honour
I know it applies to everything in life but I don't recall any Zelda being as divisive as BOTW. I personally didn't find much to enjoy on it but others have managed to find the magic I was unable to. Honestly makes me a bit sad because it's my favourite franchise and I can't work out why. On a plus, that magic was found on Mario Oddyysey.

It's a huge change for the series, so if the bits that changed were the bits you like (such as the music, progression via items, characters, dungeons and memorable bosses) then it's no surprise that you didn't like it.

I really miss the things listed above and I hope that the sequel adds them all back in while keeping the new open world format. BotW is an excellent game but it is not a Zelda game for me.

Soldato
It's a huge change for the series, so if the bits that changed were the bits you like (such as the music, progression via items, characters, dungeons and memorable bosses) then it's no surprise that you didn't like it.

I really miss the things listed above and I hope that the sequel adds them all back in while keeping the new open world format. BotW is an excellent game but it is not a Zelda game for me.

I think you summed it up well there and it's encouraged me to try explain myself better. Music / sound is a massive factor for me in games and so I really missed that in BoTW and it was one of the reasons I really liked going into the towns because if I recall they played music whenever you went there and that's one of the few times I remebered I was playing Zelda.

The item progression I think was the biggest one, I remember the excitement of getting a new item like the fire wand in LttP and thinking of all the places I'd come across where I think I could get somewhere new with it or uncover a secret that was previously locked out to me. That element was non existant in BoTW to the best of my memory, aside from some areas where you needed clothing to protect from the elements.

I quite enjoyed the shrines, I'm not sure dungeons were something I can say I really missed other than their previous connection to the item progression mentioned earlier. I didn't feel any of the characters were that memorable but I never finished the game so that could be a reason, I only really remember two of the people in the guardians I did.

I mean yes I quite enjoyed it as a free roaming adventure game with a hint of Zelda but it wasn't a proper Zelda to me. I don't think there is anythign wrong with taking in a new direction but I feel too much of what makes Zelda games great was removed at the same time. Oh and lets not even talk about weapon durability.

I also think I prefer a bit more linear storytelling rather than just go off and discover stuff, doesn't have to be on rails but there's a balance to be had.

Soldato
One key thing I will say for any newbie just getting a switch and playing online a lot is, if using Wifi, use 5GHz if possible, and also, test your MTU and set this to the highest possible without fragmentation. It's definately worth doing, even just to speed up your downloads.
As example, when i was testing with default MTU of 1400, I was typically seeing 30-40Mbps download. 1500 MTU raised this to 35-50mbps average, typically around 45. Not a massive difference, but an improvement none the less and apparently also helps with some online games and lag.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...rmining_the_optimal_mtu_size_for_your_switch/

Soldato
Like the last couple of posters, I didn't get on with Zelda but I just cant bring myself to sell it on. I got bored with the lack of atmosphere, story and direction. I so keep saying to myself I will pick it up again but I know deep down I will not.

Soldato
We've had a great past year from our family Switch, and we've added a good number of games and accessories this Christmas between us.

Spent some of today having a great time with 4-player Super Mario Party, almost as good as the GC version. Then the Mrs and the boy were playing Pokemon Let's Go as they both partake in Pokemon Go, and now the Mrs is playing through Zelda, or at least getting to grips with it.

Looking forward to see what else 2019 can add to this great console. :)

Soldato
Right stick to tilt attacks and then jump from up joy stick removed.
Cool I have done these 2 things, jump on Up kept throwing me off and this feels better. What do you tend to use for attack and special? I guess its all personal preference. I only really played melee loads as a kid and in that I probably didn't really play properly, button mashing I guess! Never really used blocking etc so trying to understand all that to be better

Man of Honour
Anyone messed about with controller layouts for smash? Just trying to find a nice fit for the pro controller. I'm trying jump on a trigger which actually feels ok

As Phate said (because I told him :p ), the must have changes are:
- Right stick tilt
- Up jump off
- Either a shoulder button or A being set to jump for short hops

My controls (2.3 Million GSP if that matters) are:
B Attack
Y Special
X/A jump
dpad - All shield (mash dpad to get out of grabs, being buried, dizzy etc)
ZL/ZR Shield (you need 2 shield buttons for positional shielding without rolling)
L/R Throw

Soldato
As Phate said (because I told him :p ), the must have changes are:
- Right stick tilt
- Up jump off
- Either a shoulder button or A being set to jump for short hops

My controls (2.3 Million GSP if that matters) are:
B Attack
Y Special
X/A jump
dpad - All shield (mash dpad to get out of grabs, being buried, dizzy etc)
ZL/ZR Shield (you need 2 shield buttons for positional shielding without rolling)
L/R Throw

Appreciate that, thanks! I'll try special on Y next for sure as I think that feels more natural and B definitely feels right as normal attack.

I need to get to grips with the block system, and remember to use it :D

Soldato
Like the last couple of posters, I didn't get on with Zelda but I just cant bring myself to sell it on. I got bored with the lack of atmosphere, story and direction. I so keep saying to myself I will pick it up again but I know deep down I will not.

Yet I'll end up getting it again just to 'make sure'. I still spent about 20-30h on it even with my perceived lack of enjoyment at the time.

It's odd, when I watched some reviews of it last night I felt excited about it again, but then when I play I don't feel it, or maybe it's because I never adjusted to the pace of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom