Indoor rowing - Concept 2

Soldato
I've just signed up for the English Indoor Championships, should give me something to work towards for the next couple months. Guess I need to start hitting the training hard!

Associate
I've just signed up for the English Indoor Championships, should give me something to work towards for the next couple months. Guess I need to start hitting the training hard!

All the best. I thought you had an injury, or is it better now? You should do quite well as entry pool is not very large (I won the relay event many moons ago with my (Liverpool) uni crew mates).

Soldato
All the best. I thought you had an injury, or is it better now? You should do quite well as entry pool is not very large (I won the relay event many moons ago with my (Liverpool) uni crew mates).

Thanks, it's not 100% but I've had a couple weeks off and it's manageable. Rowing doesn't seem to aggravate it but I'm laying off the weights for now as any upper body pushing exercises hurt. The EIRC is a couple months away anyway so I figured it would be better by then. Not ideal prep but I really want to do it and I'd be annoyed if I didn't at least try. The aim was to get close to 6:55 but that might be pushing it with my hampered training. I could do with putting on a few extra kg too as I'm 68kg at the moment and being closer to the weight limit would help.

The relays look insane, good work. I saw a video of the Navy guys doing it at the BRIC last weekend, some of the times are ridiculous!

Soldato
I've not done a hard 10km for a while so thought I'd have a crack today and knocked about 20 seconds off my previous PB. Next up sub 38! :)
5ziS2tol.jpg
Kudos.

Looking back I think my best is 39.30.

With the new year, I've been thinking about some new challenges, and a sub-38 10k sounds like a (gruelling, but) awesome idea.

Soldato
Once I've got this 2km out of the way I want to try and work on getting my speed up on the longer pieces. Sub 38 might be a push but I'd like to give it a go. I think I could knock a few seconds off my time fairly easily as I had a bit left in the tank towards the end but started my sprint finish too late to capitalise on it.

Associate
If you want to do a workout that will really improve overall speed then do a 30min piece but fix the rate to 20 strokes per minute. It hurts!

This is one of my big 3 rowing workouts that are guaranteed to hurt but make you fast.

Soldato
Having had nearly 2 years off training (and most exercise) since leaving I'm starting to get back into erging. Trying to do steady state most days to get the base level back, 8k a day at the moment. Started on a 2:15.7 split weekend before last, and now down to around 2:11, heart rate consistent between 155 and 165.

Nice to see some improvement in a week, proves that the base fitness is there somewhere... if only it was a linear scale all the way down :D

Think my PB at uni for a 30r20 was 1:49.5 split. Average HR was 191bpm peaking at 198bpm. That hurt :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I've taken up rowing again recently, previously owned a concept 2 and while it's a great bit of kit, couldn't afford another one so bought a JTX freedom rower around black friday.

https://www.jtxfitness.com/jtx-freedom-air-rowing-machine

It's in every way as good as the concept 2 except the monitor/software, the build quality is excellent and can't be faulted at all. However having saved over £400 on getting a C2, I can happily live with the lesser monitor and just manually record a lot more.

I'd recommend the JTX to anyone who wants their own rower but can't shell out circa £800 on a C2.

Dopn't get me wrong, if I had £800 to spend, i'd have the concept 2 again but the JTX is an excellent concession.

Soldato
I've taken up rowing again recently, previously owned a concept 2 and while it's a great bit of kit, couldn't afford another one so bought a JTX freedom rower around black friday.

https://www.jtxfitness.com/jtx-freedom-air-rowing-machine

It's in every way as good as the concept 2 except the monitor/software, the build quality is excellent and can't be faulted at all. However having saved over £400 on getting a C2, I can happily live with the lesser monitor and just manually record a lot more.

I'd recommend the JTX to anyone who wants their own rower but can't shell out circa £800 on a C2.

Dopn't get me wrong, if I had £800 to spend, i'd have the concept 2 again but the JTX is an excellent concession.
Looks good - can the monitor display 500m split times?

Soldato
Looks good - can the monitor display 500m split times?

Yes it has 500m splits on a rotating information screen as default, this can be changed to it stays on any particular screen, it has a combination of SPM, total distance, calorie burn and other gubbins

It also ships with a heart rate monitor at no extra cost and there are programs to keep you within certain percentages of max heart rate.

The biggest drawback is the monitor has no memory function, you have to manually record another way once it's been turned off. However as I said, at a saving of over £400 on a C2, it's an acceptable compromise.

Soldato
That looks good for the price! When I was looking for my C2, even the second hand ones weren't far off the price of a new one so that looks like a decent option.

My race has gone out the window this weekend.. I got floored by a cold a couple weeks ago and being asthmatic it hit me on the chest meaning rowing was a no go, I just about recover from that and manage to go and injure a pulley in one of my fingers!

Soldato
Had my lifters add in 500m and 100m rowing as a way to get them to move a little outside their comfort zone and as a competitive release.

So far so good :D as expected powerlifters are unfit D: haha but they have decent 100m times :p

Soldato
Thinking about improving rowing (machine) style ... what should the pull:recovery time ratio be ?

I have no experience rowing in a real boat, but imagine that the oar has a lot more weight/inertia than the retun on a rowing machine, so the recovery is probably, necessarily,
slower than on a machine .....

on a machine, should you be aiming for 50:50 time ratio, say, and genuinely relaxing ?

have been perusing this on power stroke profiles https://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7222#p92771

Soldato
answering my question - I'm going to see where I am (phone video) versus a 2:1 recovery:drive ratio

https://www.rowperfect.co.uk/teaching-rowers-rhythm-and-ratio/

https://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=157130
I've been sort of semi going for a 1:2 stroke to recovery ratio when I've been rowing (I'm a newb, don't really know what I'm doing, and that ratio is based on something I heard/read either at C2 site, youtube tutorial or rowpro guide thing, not sure where I got it).

Someone here suggested I should aim for a 1:3 stroke ratio, and I'm interested in trying that out. However, since I'm a perfectionist and also find it a bit difficult to "count", I got to wonder if there's a way to actually see your stroke to recovery ratio on the PM4, or in RowPro?

However, what works for me sometimes is finding a song with a 4 count beat at the stroke rate I want; drive is one beat, recovery is three beats.

Associate
Thinking about improving rowing (machine) style ... what should the pull:recovery time ratio be ?

I have no experience rowing in a real boat, but imagine that the oar has a lot more weight/inertia than the retun on a rowing machine, so the recovery is probably, necessarily,
slower than on a machine .....

on a machine, should you be aiming for 50:50 time ratio, say, and genuinely relaxing ?

have been perusing this on power stroke profiles https://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7222#p92771

The weight/inertia of the oar in a real boat is almost imperceptible, you are however thinking a lot about hand height in order to balance the boat and twisting the handle to feather the blade which you don’t have to worry about in the machine.

You want to get the ratio of recovery : power as big as possible on the recovery side, you want to be going fast and making it look easy! Fast arms away, fairly fast body rock and slowly slowly with the legs back to front stop - then boom explosive leg drive.

Soldato
OK .. maybe I need to put more effort into the drive
.... there is a bit the sensation that the momentum you put into your body could be wasted, when you come to a stop, versus, say a less powerful, more regular pull/drive, over a greater period of time ie 2:1 recovery/drive versus 1:1 recovery/drive with less effort on the drive.

The metronome/tone on the tunturi machine I use, allows you to set sub 1s tones ... is that so that you could have 2 tones for recovery and 1 one for drive, say ?
so far, had been considering it as timing the full stroke, setting it near the 2s mark.

Back
Top Bottom