Touch screen problems in cold weather

Associate
The touch screen in my car (Skoda Superb 65 plate) is very temperamental when the weather is cold to the extent that it is unusable until the car has warmed up. It acts as it it is being touched all the time all over the screen. i.e if I am listening to the radio it will just swicth to another station over and over etc. In the summer and warmer months its is absolutely fine with no problems what so ever.

I have had the car in at Skoda twice to look at it and nothing has helped. They updated the software which apparently reduces the sensitivity of the screen but this made no difference.

Has any body experienced this or any thing similar as its really bloody annoying!!

Associate
OP
Would think it is quite normal, go and put your phone in a freezer for a bit and see how well the screen works

I don't think that its normal behaviour for the in car entertainent system to go mental every morning during the winter. Unless everyone is having this problem?

Associate
OP
sure it's not something like condensation on the screen?

I think it must be something like this. I have cleaned it throughly removing all the grease and grim from being touch but it still acts strangely. I have seen that you can get screen protectors I am wondering if one of these may help just but potentially reducing the senstivity a little.

Soldato
The touchscreen in our works 16 plate VW van has never done anything strange in cold weather, it was 1c yesterday and it was fine changing between radio stations when i left for work. I'd think it'd be a very similar unit under the skin?

Soldato
never had issues with my lexus touchscreen.

it is a resistive touch screen so requires actual pressure..

if your skoda has capacitive then any kind of moisture can result in "touches"

Man of Honour
If you have that sort of levels of moisture in your car then you have bigger issues than the touchscreen!

Should have seen my Navara after the really hard frost we had last weekend :( was straight back to the dealer last Monday - beginning to regret not going for the Amarok now.

Associate
The touch screen in my car (Skoda Superb 65 plate) is very temperamental when the weather is cold to the extent that it is unusable until the car has warmed up. It acts as it it is being touched all the time all over the screen. i.e if I am listening to the radio it will just swicth to another station over and over etc. In the summer and warmer months its is absolutely fine with no problems what so ever.

I have had the car in at Skoda twice to look at it and nothing has helped. They updated the software which apparently reduces the sensitivity of the screen but this made no difference.

Has any body experienced this or any thing similar as its really bloody annoying!!

I had the same on my 65 Octavia, but in my case the software update resolved the issue, I would suggest keep pushing the dealer, especially if you reported the issue under warranty. At the end of the day it is a known issue that is supposed to be resolved via the software update.

Has the dealer recognised the issue and been able to replicate it?

Have you made a recording of the issue just for evidence?

Associate
OP
I had the same on my 65 Octavia, but in my case the software update resolved the issue, I would suggest keep pushing the dealer, especially if you reported the issue under warranty. At the end of the day it is a known issue that is supposed to be resolved via the software update.

Has the dealer recognised the issue and been able to replicate it?

Have you made a recording of the issue just for evidence?

Interesting thank you, the dealer has not replicated the issue it is always nice and warm by the time I get there. If is wasn't a slight change to the "Traffic" interface I would be questioning whether they did actually update the software.

I will make a video recording of it and send it over to them to see what they suggest. When I originally reported the problem is was under warranty but the car is no longer.

Back
Top Bottom