** FREESYNC MONITORS SUPPORTING NVIDIA G-SYNC - READ MORE **

OcUK Staff
Hi guys,

IPAc1CV.gif

Moving forward FreeSync monitors will work with G-Sync enabled Gfx cards.

G-Sync and FreeSync are respectively Nvidia and AMD technologies. They allow the monitor refresh rate to adapt to the rate the frames are being pushed out by the gfx card. This reduces some of the unwanted effects that a mismatch creates, such as tearing. It allows monitors and graphics cards to work more closely together to allow the best graphical representation of what the game designers want you to see.

Until now they were incompatible but from now on all FreeSync monitors work with G-Sync, but how well varies...

For now Nvidia has tested 400 monitors but only certified 12. The ones we currently list can be found HERE

Non-certified monitors won't work with G-Sync by default, it will need to be enabled separately, and users may see issues with these monitors which mean their experience isn't 100%. My advice would be to search for more information on our forums and the internet to see what peoples experiences are in the real world with their combination of hardware for more information.

For now, to be guaranteed a flawless G-Sync experience stick with the certified monitors. I've ordered more stock so people can take advantage of the new features. Whether or not this news increases costs of Freesync monitors, or decreases the cost of G-Sync monitors I'm not sure but watch this space, 2019 is going to be an exciting one for Monitors!

Some of the G-Sync Certified ASUS Freesync Monitors:

Asus VG258Q 25" 1920x1080 144Hz FreeSync Gaming Monitor - DP, DVI @ £289.99 inc VAT

FreeSync, G-Sync Certified, LED Backlit, 1920x1080 Resolution, 100.000.000:1 Contrast Ratio, 400 cd/m² Brightness, Response time 1 ms, 144Hz, 1 x DP, 1 x DVI, 2 Year Warranty

Only £289.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Asus VG278Q 27" 1920x1080 TN FREESYNC 144Hz Gaming Widescreen LED Monitor @ £299.99 inc VAT

FreeSync, G-Sync Certified, LED Backlit, 1920x1080 Resolution, 1.000.000.000:1 Contrast Ratio, 350cd/m² Brightness, 1ms Response Time, 1x DVI-D Input, 1x HDMI Input, 1x DP Input, 3 Year On-Site Warranty

Only £299.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Asus XG248Q ROG Strix 24" 1920x1080 FreeSync 240Hz Gaming Widescreen LED Monitor - DP, HDMI @ £439.99 inc VAT

FreeSync, G-Sync Compatible, LED Backlit, 1920x1080 Resolution, 240Hz Refresh rate, Brightness 400 cd/m2, 1ms Response Time, 1 x DisplayPort, 2 x HDMI

Only £439.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Asus MG278Q ROG Dominator 27" 2560x1440 TN FREESYNC 144Hz Gaming Widescreen LED Slim Bezel Monitor @ £429.95 inc VAT

Freesync, G-Sync Certified, LED Backlit, 2560x1440 Resolution, 100000000:1 Contrast Ratio, 350cd/m² Brightness, 1ms Response Time, 1x DP, 1x DVI-D, 2x HDMI, Height Adjust, 3yr On-Site Warranty.

Only £429.95 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Last edited:
Associate
@NikTheSHNIK I think you have made an error because of Acer's terrible model names. The Acer XG270HUA has two models. The 144Hz UM.HG0EE.001 which I assume is the G-Sync Compatible monitor. And the 60Hz UM.HG0EE.A01 that you listed here: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...zeroframe-monitor-orange-black-mo-11g-ac.html

Comparison of two monitors: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/compare/UM.HG0EE.001-UM.HG0EE.A01

I'm 99% sure only the 144Hz version will be G-sync Compatible. Because NVIDIA stated on their announcement: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/

They also validate that the monitor can operate in VRR at any game frame rate by supporting a VRR range of at least 2.4:1 (e.g. 60Hz-144Hz)

OcUK Staff
OP
Last edited by a moderator:
OcUK Staff
OP
@NikTheSHNIK I think you have made an error because of Acer's terrible model names. The Acer XG270HUA has two models. The 144Hz UM.HG0EE.001 which I assume is the G-Sync Compatible monitor. And the 60Hz UM.HG0EE.A01 that you listed here: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...zeroframe-monitor-orange-black-mo-11g-ac.html

Comparison of two monitors: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/compare/UM.HG0EE.001-UM.HG0EE.A01

I'm 99% sure only the 144Hz version will be G-sync Compatible. Because NVIDIA stated on their announcement: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/

I'll take it out of the section for now and try and get clarification but I think you are right!

OcUK Staff
OP
Getting the feeling that even though those monitors are overpriced something somewhere is gonna skyrocket, I'll be giving the whole thing a miss I think

For what it's worth I look at it as to they are priced according to their production specifications. These FreeSync monitors meet the requirements of flawlessly running G-Sync, and we all know that usually G-Sync monitors cost more. I think that the quality of the panel determines how well or if a monitor runs G-Sync and so obviously these look "overpriced" because these are the FreeSync monitors with the best, or most cherry picked panels.

Perhaps not the best way to word it so I'll try again: - We haven't raised prices on these since the announcement so if they are overpriced according to their specifications it must be down to the quality of their panels. Born out by the fact that these ones run G-Sync.

Make sense?

Soldato
For what it's worth I look at it as to they are priced according to their production specifications. These FreeSync monitors meet the requirements of flawlessly running G-Sync, and we all know that usually G-Sync monitors cost more. I think that the quality of the panel determines how well or if a monitor runs G-Sync and so obviously these look "overpriced" because these are the FreeSync monitors with the best, or most cherry picked panels.

Perhaps not the best way to word it so I'll try again: - We haven't raised prices on these since the announcement so if they are overpriced according to their specifications it must be down to the quality of their panels. Born out by the fact that these ones run G-Sync.

Make sense?

Yes perfect sense, thank you :)

Soldato
are the first 2 links meant to be the same monitor.. description is not quite right, the main page in details says it has displayport not 2x DVI... " HDMI(v1.4), DisplayPort 1.2, Dual-link DVI-D" and does on Asus site

https://www.asus.com/media/global/gallery/eBk658iOZwupnwfz_setting_000_1_90_end_500.png

** Do not hotlink images **

Sorry was trying to be helpful.. don't understand why I cant link directly to the manufacturers site.. is there a copyright issue?

edit : ignore ive googled hotlinking,, and understand now

Associate
So it seems G-Sync certification for Freesync is just an excuse to charge more? I thought Freesync's benefit was to avoid this rubbish nVidia pull with the GSync module.

No what it does is guarantee that your Free-Sync monitor will work properly with an Nvidia card because a lot don't and the build quality has been poor.
Nvidia are moving to take the high end/high quality market with their G-SYNC HDR Ultimate which is always going to better that Free-Sync for Nvidia card owners but like anything Nvidia does will price gouge.

Man of Honour
So it seems G-Sync certification for Freesync is just an excuse to charge more? I thought Freesync's benefit was to avoid this rubbish nVidia pull with the GSync module.

It is pretty much a given the price will creep up with the new found selling point - anyone expecting anything else is a touch naive :s

OcUK Staff
OP
Yeah, vendors will look to charge more if demand increases. Also it seems as though at least part of the reason G-Sync was more expensive is the vendors were having to cherry pick the best panels, or pay more for the better ones. The Nvidia license probably contributed too (speculation).

I think the price difference will close up between G-Sync and FreeSync panels, so some consumers will win and some will lose.

In the long term I expect the news will lead to more people upgrading monitors and so overall monitor demand will go up leading to vendors being able to charge OcUK more for their panels. This is not necessary though as there are a lot of exciting monitors being released this year, perhaps prices will be relatively stable in the middle term.

Back
Top Bottom