What are my options for a quiet build and gaming at 1440p?

Associate
:confused: Not sure why you would say that as when gaming at 1440p there is little to no difference between AMD and Intel.
Oh yes, there is. Both are good for getting average fps, but it's the minimum fps that makes the difference, at least for me. And that's where Ryzen sucks.

Soldato
Oh yes, there is. Both are good for getting average fps, but it's the minimum fps that makes the difference, at least for me. And that's where Ryzen sucks.
You must be referring to your own Ryzen 2600 that you've posted you're having gaming issues with. There are many other people and reviews/benchmarks that show the minimums to be approximately the same as Intel when gaming at 1440p.

Soldato

You must be referring to your own Ryzen 2600 that you've posted you're having gaming issues with. There are many other people and reviews/benchmarks that show the minimums to be approximately the same as Intel when gaming at 1440p.

Depends on your situation .

If you want to eeeek out every bit of performance then intel , or if your got cash for streaming then intel due to clock speed .
eSports is also intel - heavy money involved , but ryzen at 1440p has come a good way !

Either way, we finally have competition, though I see it as AMD need to raise their next gen prices as intel have stood form and people paid . Competition is good for innovation, but have feeling both companies could raise prices and people will pay, specially for ryzen now, just needs to under cut intel by £100 not £200 personally from a buisness point of view

Associate
It actually depends on the game. Most games run fine at 60+fps for me (sometimes I need to turn off SMT to get some extra single thread performance). But in some games, I can drop to the mid 50s, where if I had an Intel CPU, it would be somewhere in the 70s.

Associate
OP
@EsaT

Seasonic Focus Plus has also semi-passive mode and 650W Platinum would be abotu price of that Corsair.
A couple of places have mentioned the ticking/rattling noise with this PSU:

Here:
I have the 650w Seasonic 80+ Gold Focus from OC
Gotta say it's solid so far, I wouldn't have a problem recommending it at all.
Just fyi, my PSU gives a very slight ticking noise and on reading about this around forums it seems part of the function of the hybrid fan if your fussy about silly noises I would avoid.

I had the 750watt version of this until I got something else. On a water cooled (near silent) build, when just idling using the desktop, this ticking drove me insane. I have absolutely no idea what they were thinking putting that fan in, the motor makes that noise at low rpm. My solution was to turn the hybrid mode off! Can't hear the fan when it's spinning just that little bit faster.

and @6m59s:

Soldato
Focus units are nice, Bequiet new units don't have wires like any other unit in the market and a £20 fan attached to it .
Fan quality is nice and day , just depends what your after and what you use system for as well as airflow .
Fully passive unit, need damn high air pressure in the case to force air out or negative pressure which would draw in dust

Associate
OP

memory support is DDR4 3200MHz
quote from @ 18m32s

screenshot @ 18m42s suggest x570 launches Computex

So... Basket changes :D

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £527.85 (includes shipping: £0.00)

+

Navi at £400-450
CPU at £200-250
MSI B550 GAMING PRO CARBON AC at £130-150
LG 27GL850F 27" Nano IPS Freesync at £550-650

Last edited:
Associate
I can't comment on the purewings, but I have 12 120mm pwm silentwings and i whole-heartedly recommend them.

I've also had 140mm noctuas and several 120/140mm fans from fractal and lian li cases for comparison.

The silent wings are the best i've had and if you can wait for a rare buy 3 for the price of 2 promo they aren't terribly priced.

Soldato
Why so many? Pictures?

i have 9 :D in one case... and lots in other cases haha

if your going X570/B550 platform then invest in samsung B-Die . 3600hz is currently same price as 3200 and is 8 Pack kit so damn good !

I dont think B550 boards will match flagship models like Aorus 7/Hero/Tachi - might get close but not chance beating VRM level . PCIe 4 is back compatible with PCIe 3 for main x16 slot with current engineering bios- news about this to has started to leak out .

hopefully Ryzen 3000 will not just bring IPC and speed increase but IMC increase too! not sure how much that will factor in then using new chiplet design but can't help but running Samsung B-Die kit :)

also changed PSU to silent bequiet units

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £710.90 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

Same price or Cheaper but are HIGHEST TIER PSU units!!

specially with the Straight 11 using £20 silent wing fan :D

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/986897-psu-tier-list-30/

Associate
OP
if your going X570/B550 platform then invest in samsung B-Die . 3600hz is currently same price as 3200 and is 8 Pack kit so damn good !

Cheers orbitalwalsh. Nice RAM. It is £81 more expensive that the 3200MHz I've picked. Not sure I can warrant the extra spend.

also changed PSU to silent bequiet units
Same price or Cheaper but are HIGHEST TIER PSU units!!
specially with the Straight 11 using £20 silent wing fan :D
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/986897-psu-tier-list-30/
As I'm looking for as silent as possible I picked the Corsair due to it's semi-passive nature of it's fan and only spinning up when load hits 40%. I'll take a look though at the Straight Power 11 and see how it compares. Cheers!

Soldato
Cheers orbitalwalsh. Nice RAM. It is £81 more expensive that the 3200MHz I've picked. Not sure I can warrant the extra spend.

As I'm looking for as silent as possible I picked the Corsair due to it's semi-passive nature of it's fan and only spinning up when load hits 40%. I'll take a look though at the Straight Power 11 and see how it compares. Cheers!

and you're running a vega GPU... hehehe , you'd be wanting 1200w unit so load stays around 50% then :D

but depends on the nature of what your doing etc

undervolt the card too :)

Associate
OP
and you're running a vega GPU... hehehe , you'd be wanting 1200w unit so load stays around 50% then :D
Ha! Amusing. Hopefully the reduction to 7nm will result in a lot less power drawer. Now all I need to do is try and find comparisons of noise of the Corsair and be quiet! PSUs.

Associate
OP
This is a fair point:

This fan is extremely silent, making semi-passive solutions unnecessary and ensuring constant cooling at a low noise level. Since fans are not the only source of noise in a power supply, high-quality capacitors are used to prevent high-frequency electronic noise emission and noise induced by extreme load changes (like, for example, from modern graphics cards) is also minimized.
Source

Back
Top Bottom