• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Associate
It is, A lot of online retailers walk a fine line when marketing products, Often teliing outright lies, Even here on OCUK I've bought models like the Asus ROG Dominator monitor that wasn't a ROG model & an Acer Freesync model that was marketed as being a Predator models which it's not, I've seen sellers and even reviewers calling 3440x1440 monitors 4k monitors but that isn't what they are. Marketing has very blurred lines. I've had 3 different Freesync monitors delivered here, none of them had Freesync on the box they had adaptive-sync on it. Freesync is AMD's way of using Adaptive sync but it's not Freesync just like even if Nvidia call them G-sync compatible it's not G-sync just adaptive sync, what they call their way of using it is up to them. They can call it poor mans G-sync if they want. We tend to call adaptive sync monitors Freesync monitors as until now that's been the only tech taking advantage of it.

+1

They can't be seen to say all these monitor just work, not after their claims of G-sync superiority over the last few years, Doing so would upset a lot of the current G-sync userbase. I'm sure that plenty of software support will be needed to catch up with all the different models, Although plenty of adaptivesync models will never offer a decent experience due to how bad the adaptive sync support is on it I'm hoping they don't just lump monitors into this category on mass in order to reduce the overall workload, As an example my 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor has a 75hz panel with a working range of 30-75, It also has LFC support yet it's not on the list of compatibles and they say they've tested 400 so far Really? It should be as the complaints of blur and blinking issues have never been a problem with it with Freesync. I don't for one minute believe they've tested 400 adaptive sync monitors & if they have I don't believe only 12 pass unless they purposely add conditions to make sure they won't pass.
The thing is AMD is motivated into giving you the best FreeSync experience. NVIDIA would want to sell you their expensive g-sync/g-sync compatible monitors. I think the prices of the compatible monitors will increase and it will be lacklustre on the incompatible monitors as unlike AMD, NVIDIA won’t try to workaround the issues in their drivers. Personally I believe NVIDIA is going to sabotage the experience on the non-compatible monitors to force users to get the compatible ones.

Soldato
Minimums on assassins creed odyssey on rtx 2080 on ultra settings are below 50. It’s exactly in those rough scenarios where FreeSync is needed. Don’t forget Kingdome Come. Below 50 is very common.

I would rather drop settings.. Gsync and Freesync do not fix frame latency.

Example
30fps Gsync or freesync is still 33ms lag

Soldato
I would rather drop settings.. Gsync and Freesync do not fix frame latency.

Example
30fps Gsync or freesync is still 33ms lag

But but but reasons that makes no sense to why that's not an issue!!!!!... /s

We have been fighting for proper optimizations so we could get that 60fps minimum for years and now it's suddenly okay to go backwards again? weird mentality. I agree, frame latency is IMPORTANT!

Soldato

Yes, you are right, I apologise. I didn't realise they added the adaptive sync spec to the eDP specification.

Associate
I can't wait to try this out with a RTX 2070 and compare it with a RX 580 next week.

To now have a wider monitor choice is great for the consumer.

Only snag is AMD cards not working with G-sync monitors.

Soldato
I can't wait to try this out with a RTX 2070 and compare it with a RX 580 next week.

To now have a wider monitor choice is great for the consumer.

Only snag is AMD cards not working with G-sync monitors.
I feel like that's largely a non issue. I can't imagine there being that many G-Sync monitors out there. I suspect nVidia have done this specifically because G-Sync monitor sales are very low.

Back
Top Bottom