Overclock setting needed for Ryzen 1700x

Soldato
Hi All i'm looking for a little help.

I'm wanting to overclock my system with a stable overclock and keep the temps down.
I have done a basic overclock changing the multiplier but i'm assume some more experienced people on here will have will be able to help me fine tune it.

I have a ryzen 1700x spec in footer.

Permabanned
what speed did you get with your basic overclock?
its very hard to get passed 4Ghz of ryzen and most ever cap out at 3.8/3.9ghz, the good thing is no matter what voltage you pump it they tend to run cool.

Soldato
OP
what speed did you get with your basic overclock?
its very hard to get passed 4Ghz of ryzen and most ever cap out at 3.8/3.9ghz, the good thing is no matter what voltage you pump it they tend to run cool.
I've been using at 3975Mhz i did set the it to 4000Mhz but it never shows that in in windows, but i have never stress tested it

Permabanned
I've been using at 3975Mhz i did set the it to 4000Mhz but it never shows that in in windows, but i have never stress tested it

yes thats 4ghz some times your system will report 99.9 bus speed instead of 100.
If you have it at 4ghz stable e.g you can use the PC, i would leave it alone.

install CPUz and aida64, run system test in aida and use CPUz to see that Vcore you running at, you need to keep it under 1.35v when under load under 1.325 would be better
as for temps your Noctua U12S is a bit of a monster and can handle the ryzen no problem.

Soldato
OP
I had a few issues with the PC freezing when stress testing at 4ghz and 3.95 so I have dropped the overclock down to 3.8ghz to start, im not too sure which part is the vcore but I have attached the cpu-z snapshot below.

m67uml

https://prnt.sc/m67uml

The temps are going upto 83c using the PC and stress testing at the same time and im using aida64 as you suggested.

Permabanned
stress test temps will be very high, what do you use the PC for? gaming?, my CPU runs at 75c(stress) and only 45/50c when gaming

if your going up to 83c i would think your vcore is very high, did you set it manually or keep it at auto?
rerun a stress test and look when the core voltage is under load

Soldato
OP
A little bit of everything, gaming has been limited till I get a better GPU.
No I kept everything at auto and just changed the multiplier, How can I check my vcore.

Permabanned
cpen CPUz, then run a bench text.
as the bench test is running look at CPUz and look for the info for Core voltage

If you have it st to auto i would think it will be a big number maybe over 1.4, this is bad but lets see what its at then we can change things

Soldato
OP
cpen CPUz, then run a bench text.
as the bench test is running look at CPUz and look for the info for Core voltage

If you have it st to auto i would think it will be a big number maybe over 1.4, this is bad but lets see what its at then we can change things
Thanks, just got back and checked in bios and your are right its on auto 1.42 im thinking about dropping it down to 1.28.

Permabanned
if you fint your stuck it 3.8Ghz - 1.3v that may be for safe day to day clock. you can then drop the voltage .015 at a time and retest to see how low you can get the voltage. however that said 3.325 is safe

Soldato
OP
Ok just a update. i've not really got beyond the default overclock, it seam it need higher core voltage to get it stable beyond this .

I've got to 3.85Ghz on 1.35 stable overclock I tested with Cinibench and AIDA64 without issues. beyond this I need to up the core voltage to 1.375, so Cinibench and Aida64 does not crash.
I do need to tweak to see what else i can do to keep it stable and cool as possible.

Soldato
OP
Another update.
i've trying out different core voltages to see how low I can get the Voltage without issues. the best I've been able to get so far has been 3.85Ghz overclock at 1.34v 3.8Ghz - 1.3v 3.82 - 1.32v
I've also managed to get 3.9Ghzat 1.4v and I was able to get 4Ghz running without issue but Cinibench would keep crashing even at 1.45v I did not want to try anymore. so i went back to 3.85 which gave me a good overclock and I was able to keep the core voltage below 1.35.

I have the thought about dropping down even further to 3.8Ghz or 3.82Ghz.

Any other suggestions on what else i can to to get better overclock ?

I did have a question I see the bios has offset in the core voltage options I was wondering what this is for and how to use it ?

Last edited:
Permabanned
I did have a question I see the bios has offset in the core voltage options I was wondering what this is for and how to use it ?

When you have your overclock set and your core voltage tuned. You can then switch it offset. This wall let bios lower voltage when the system in not under load to lower idle temps

Soldato
OP
When you have your overclock set and your core voltage tuned. You can then switch it offset. This wall let bios lower voltage when the system in not under load to lower idle temps
thanks for the info that was helpful.

Im hoping someone who overclock more would be able to give me there thoughts on this, I have been wondering what would be better, lower core voltage or sightly higher overclock ?
Looking at my results 3.85Ghz overclock at 1.34v 3.8Ghz - 1.3v 3.82 - 1.32v the difference is really only 0.02v or 0.02Ghz which would you choose ?

Permabanned
thanks for the info that was helpful.

Im hoping someone who overclock more would be able to give me there thoughts on this, I have been wondering what would be better, lower core voltage or sightly higher overclock ?
Looking at my results 3.85Ghz overclock at 1.34v 3.8Ghz - 1.3v 3.82 - 1.32v the difference is really only 0.02v or 0.02Ghz which would you choose ?

AMD chips can take voltage, if your under 1.35 your safe... To a degree

Keep under 1.35v then when using your system on a days to days basis keep and eye on temps, ryzen run cool

Soldato
OP
AMD chips can take voltage, if your under 1.35 your safe... To a degree

Keep under 1.35v then when using your system on a days to days basis keep and eye on temps, ryzen run cool
OK, So it would be best if I keep everyday clock down at 3.80 1.3v in your option ?

Soldato
You just have to decide what you are trying to achieve. Eventually you get to the point where the decreasing increase in overclock is not worth the voltage. For me I just settled on 3.7 @ 1.25v as everything is stable and the temps are fine. 3.8 or 3.9 currently doesn’t offer enough of a boost for me. I am expecting 3700x will.

Back
Top Bottom