• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
You should get an email from OcUK with a link to sign up to some AMD thing. Once you do that, you can redeem your keys (once the games are released).

Just following on from this, i've done the AMD raise the game bundle, but can't seem to find any keys? Has anyone got keys yet or is everyone still on "Your key will be assigned as soon as it is available" on the AMD Rewards page?

Cheers

Soldato
got an Asus Strix that is running around 1630hz and 67c full load with an undervolt and OC, not bad at all.

But man the coil whine is annoying, Its not just high FPS its any time the GPU util is high.

Getting a new PCIE cable tomorrow as at the moment im running the card from one cable with 2x 8 pins on it, Will try tomorrow with 2 cables with 8 pins each, ive seen reports that it can help.

Associate
Hey, new to Vega and undervolting etc. Could some one help me with a pic/guide for stable settings?

Ive been on an older driver(18.10.2), as the new one had raised my running temps by 10c and fans were running crazy on idle. Now i'd like to try the new optional update.
I was using settings i found here and they were working great- but the new wattman setup has me lost.
Had the freq set to 1537-1632mhz, voltage at 1080-1090 memory at 1050mhz voltage 1000mv and 50% power. Temps weren't going over 75c.

Air cooled gigabyte gaming oc. (wish i'd found this thread before i bought it and i would have got a dif model).

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
Hey, new to Vega and undervolting etc. Could some one help me with a pic/guide for stable settings?

Ive been on an older driver(18.10.2), as the new one had raised my running temps by 10c and fans were running crazy on idle. Now i'd like to try the new optional update.
I was using settings i found here and they were working great- but the new wattman setup has me lost.
Had the freq set to 1537-1632mhz, voltage at 1080-1090 memory at 1050mhz voltage 1000mv and 50% power. Temps weren't going over 75c.

Air cooled gigabyte gaming oc. (wish i'd found this thread before i bought it and i would have got a dif model).

Thanks in advance!

Ignore the "set minimum" setting, that's for specific game setting, otherwise it works perfectly on variety of Vega 64s. (and is not only me but everyone used those settings on other forums).
Set the power under the HBM to 1000 and you will be fine.
knYSreS.png

Associate
Thanks! Tested and the temps are a lot better this time around, peak 60c and fans weren't going crazy like before.
I tried running fire strike ultra and my scores are nearly 1000 points lower now though :( Peak gpu was 1336mhz.
Any ideas? Its an old system (i'm upgrading atm) but i'd like to get to grips with the graphics card while i'm waiting.

ps when you say set power under HBM do you mean setting it to 10%
Ignore the "set minimum" setting, that's for specific game setting, otherwise it works perfectly on variety of Vega 64s. (and is not only me but everyone used those settings on other forums).
Set the power under the HBM to 1000 and you will be fine.

Soldato
Thanks! Tested and the temps are a lot better this time around, peak 60c and fans weren't going crazy like before.
I tried running fire strike ultra and my scores are nearly 1000 points lower now though :( Peak gpu was 1336mhz.
Any ideas? Its an old system (i'm upgrading atm) but i'd like to get to grips with the graphics card while i'm waiting.

ps when you say set power under HBM do you mean setting it to 10%

The "Voltage Control" under the HBM frequency on the screenshot above should be set to 1000mv not 1100mv (as said this profile needs tweaking as is specific for ESO due to min/max speed).

If you need more power raise the Power Limit to 50%. You can also go more aggressive on cutting power also
Set P5 to 1060, P6 to 1070 and P7 to 1080.

Raise also the minimum fan speed a bit it will alleviate the throttling. Also, set the target temperature to 70C instead of 85C. Surprisingly that allows highers clocks and better overclocking.
In addition put a fan to blow air directly towards the card, improve the airflow and lower the fan speed needed. (thats how I had my Nitro in the summer during the heatwave)

Soldato
Hey guys, just a quick question,
If I sell my vega 64, does it have more value with the ek-fc water block on it? Or will i need to remove it and sell it with the original reference blower on it? Maybe selling the waterblock along side it or seperately?

Or even if i sell the vega 64 WITH the block and pump/res and the radiator and tubing with a bottle of nano fluid with it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey guys, just a quick question,
If I sell my vega 64, does it have more value with the ek-fc water block on it? Or will i need to remove it and sell it with the original reference blower on it? Maybe selling the waterblock along side it or seperately?

Or even if i sell the vega 64 WITH the block and pump/res and the radiator and tubing with a bottle of nano fluid with it?
It depends where you are selling it, on the mm here you won't get any interest at all.
I'd say you'd be better of advertising as a reference assembled V64, that can come assembled with the block and/or fittings pump etc for extra.

Soldato
It depends where you are selling it, on the mm here you won't get any interest at all.
I'd say you'd be better of advertising as a reference assembled V64, that can come assembled with the block and/or fittings pump etc for extra.
So you dont think if its shown as with the block and everything else with it to water cool it including the fluid (just fill it yourself) that people wont go for it?

Soldato
So you dont think if its shown as with the block and everything else with it to water cool it including the fluid (just fill it yourself) that people wont go for it?

I think it's a catch 22, but people get funny spending over £200 for 2nd hand gear with the warranty void. First you'll get knocked down by stupid lowball offers, or they'll be concerned if it's had a hard life. Then consider the amount of peeps with an suitable psu, (daisy chaining/pcie molex extenders, low 12v rail amperage) or just peeps handling your card and killing it.

You can advertise as a vega64+coolant kit, you might be lucky and find a buyer who knows what they are doing. If it was me i'd sell it as reference + optional coolant setup, with a picture of the current setup. If you get a genuine buyer then you won't have to strip down the vega for a wasted effort.

Soldato
I've been reading a lot....is there an underclocking guide for dummies? Literally picture by picture.

Some of us are not up to date with all the tools.......and it's quite frustrating :p

Soldato
I've been reading a lot....is there an underclocking guide for dummies? Literally picture by picture.

Some of us are not up to date with all the tools.......and it's quite frustrating :p
Go into the radeon crimson driver, go to games, then to the global settings, you will be presented by the screen posted 9 posts up from this.
Copy the settings in that, but in the bottom box that reads 1100 for voltage control change it to 1000 and put the power limit from 10% to 50%

Associate
got an Asus Strix that is running around 1630hz and 67c full load with an undervolt and OC, not bad at all.

But man the coil whine is annoying, Its not just high FPS its any time the GPU util is high.

Getting a new PCIE cable tomorrow as at the moment im running the card from one cable with 2x 8 pins on it, Will try tomorrow with 2 cables with 8 pins each, ive seen reports that it can help.

I've just received my strix 64, the whine is minimal but audible. How much is it under volted by?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just received my strix 64, the whine is minimal but audible. How much is it under volted by?

Mine is very audible, not enough to go through headphones but waaay more than anything ive ever had before, im not tallking about 400 fps screens im talking its screeching as soon as any game is played even below 60fps.

I can hear it from another room! ive tried undervolting, adding more volts, everything, the only thing that made it not as bad was setting power level to - 50! ive even tried a new PSU, Luckily the guy has agreed for me to return it.

Associate
Mine is very audible, not enough to go through headphones but waaay more than anything ive ever had before, im not tallking about 400 fps screens im talking its screeching as soon as any game is played even below 60fps.

I can hear it from another room! ive tried undervolting, adding more volts, everything, the only thing that made it not as bad was setting power level to - 50! ive even tried a new PSU, Luckily the guy has agreed for me to return it.

That’s a shame, my reference model could get loud when loading games but pretty much stopped in game. Im hesitant to sell it.

Associate
The "Voltage Control" under the HBM frequency on the screenshot above should be set to 1000mv not 1100mv (as said this profile needs tweaking as is specific for ESO due to min/max speed).

If you need more power raise the Power Limit to 50%. You can also go more aggressive on cutting power also
Set P5 to 1060, P6 to 1070 and P7 to 1080.

Raise also the minimum fan speed a bit it will alleviate the throttling. Also, set the target temperature to 70C instead of 85C. Surprisingly that allows highers clocks and better overclocking.
In addition put a fan to blow air directly towards the card, improve the airflow and lower the fan speed needed. (thats how I had my Nitro in the summer during the heatwave)

I spent the majority of the day running benchmarks (fire strike, which seems to bug out with me on steam) Your original settings actually came out best! But the clock never varied much 1330mhz ish and neither did the score.
I tried the suggested cutting/ putting up power,various Pstates, aggressive fan control etc nothing was giving me the performance as before.
****** off, i tried a game (where it matters) the clocks went up to 1554 (iirc) but the fan curve was crazy/not working as before.
Can you alter wattman on the fly? (As in while game is running) I get the feeling either its not updating the changes or wattman is screwed.

For reference before installing the new driver (19.1.1) I followed the instructions and used DDU, but this update seems really bad (for me) as did the last one (18.12.2). The old fan min/max worked really well for me, i didn't have to change anything(moved max 75c- target 45c and got good performance undervolt with decent temps and low fan noise), now games run 10c hotter and my freq isn't hitting near as before.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge and questions, you all seem to know what your doing here and are enthusiastic with helping out ;)

Back
Top Bottom