• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Apple locks NVidia GPUs out of new operating system Mojave

Associate
https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...in-macos-and-thats-a-bad-sign-for-the-mac-pro

in October 2008, Apple had to admit that some MacBook Pros had faulty Nvidia processors. Back in July of that year, Nvidia itself had admitted problems though when AppleInsider asked, the company refused to confirm that its chips were causing the MacBook problems.

At this time, Nvidia may have then believed that its own patents also applied to the GPUs in mobiles. The company tried to get companies to buy licenses for this technology and in 2013 then went as far as filing patent infringement suits against Qualcomm and Samsung.

If Nvidia tried getting Apple to pay its license fees then Apple seemingly said no. In 2016, it also said no to putting Nvidia processors in the 15-inch MacBook Pro. Instead, Apple went with AMD GPUs publicly because of performance per watt issues, but the real reason is anybody's guess.

And now, in 2019, there aren't any functional drivers for Mojave at all. And, it's Apple's fault. The only two Nvidia cards that work with Mojave are the GeForce GTX 680, and the Quadro K5000 —both several years old at this point. And, this is only a light brush over the history between the two companies.

NVidia falling out of favour with Apple is not going to improve their business forecasts one little bit and won't please their shareholders either.

Soldato
I get why Apple wouldn't want to work with nVidia. I also don't think it's gonna cost Apple many sales. Most people buy Apple because it's Apple and are unlikely to care about much else.

I do find it weird that they won't even certify drivers for situations where people are using external GPU thunderbolt enclosures though. Allegedly nVidia already have the drivers ready and awaiting certification.

Soldato
I guess the arrogance of the nvidia's CEO...... isn't he about to leave nvidia soon?
That isn't why there aren't any drivers. It's because Apple won't certify them. They seem to be saying in all but words, that they don't want nVidia GPUs working with Apple hardware.

It might stem from trying to block people making Hackintosh computers, but it doesn't make any more sense now that third party Thunderbolt enclosures are a thing now, where you can just put whatever GPU you want inside them.

Permabanned
Another Intel acquisition?

If it is allowed but I doubt it.
Is it possible that Apple tried to buy nvidia off and JHH said his requirements........

Intel doesn't have the size to buy nvidia, I think...
Or... if they do it, it will be AMD's history repeated with intel close to bankruptcy in the following years.

Soldato
For the last few years Nvidia's drivers on Linux have been terrible (so probably were on Apple OS too). That might be part of it.

But gaming on Apple OS is kinda dead anyway since they stopped updating OpenGL last year and won't support Vulkan. They want developers to use their own API (metal), but developers told them to **** off because it's crap and not cross-platform.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Aren't apple computers rubbish at running games anyway ? or has that changed these days :confused:

As i never heard of a hardcore gamer saying they use an apple computer

The big point here is that most Apple Macs are using GPUs for applications other than games, such as image processing. This is why the RTX cards are such a mess with features which users who are not gamers are never going to use. Quadro cards might well be the norm for many - but again they are unsupported, and the cheaper cards also unsupported are not as cost effective as the AMD cards anyway.

Graphics design is a big user of Mac and take a look at how many of the broadcasters use Apple poroducts because they are fashionable.

Soldato
Apple stocks are dropping because China isn't buying iPhones. I don't any tech stocks are doing that well are they? Apple, Nvidia, Samsung, Intel, all their prices have dropped a fair amount in the last 12 months.

Apple stock is dropping because the recent iPhones or iPads have failed to show any real innovation since the iPhone 6 and they’ve priced MacBooks out of the reach of most.

Associate
You have to be a certain kind of special to buy Apple products, if you think Nvidia have shady business practices and treat their customers like moronic cash cows you should take a look at what Apple gets up to :D

Soldato
People have realised there is no point in paying Apple prices.

Personally I never saw the point in paying £700 for a phone you can't even change the battery on.

Permabanned
You have to be a certain kind of special to buy Apple products, if you think Nvidia have shady business practices and treat their customers like moronic cash cows you should take a look at what Apple gets up to :D

People have realised there is no point in paying Apple prices.

Interestingly, nvidia and Apple both use the same practices, so naturally they should be allies... why they are not is very intriguing :D

Soldato
Interestingly, nvidia and Apple both use the same practices, so naturally they should be allies... why they are not is very intriguing :D

Yep. Overpriced, closed ecosystem, unreliable, intentional performance gimping once the new generation comes out...

Associate
Their FE RTX GPUs are as locked down as Apple's hardware. At least a 100 screws on their FE GPUs so its a horror to disassemble

Caporegime
I remember selling my OG Titans for absolute crazy money. The guy who bought them wasn't far from me, so I said I will deliver them. Being nosey, I asked why he was happy paying the crazy money he paid (£550 each) and he said they will be flashed and going in Apple computers and easily doubling his money. Anyone who buys an Apple gaming machine is unknowledgable and or lazy.

Back
Top Bottom