OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
How late is "late" for walking?

My 15month old daughter was quite late crawling (about a week after her first birthday). She is starting to pull herself up onto her feet all the time but shows absolutely no interest in taking steps unless I am holding her hands. Ive tried leaning her up back to the wall and sitting a couple of feet away but she just gets stroppy and cant figure out how to lower herself down.
The doctors have said they have no concerns with her at all but it is getting upsetting watching all her friends running around while she is still stuck on all fours.
Really hope she can figure it out soon.

Don't sweat it at all, our 8 year old was very late to start trying to walk but went from crawling to confidently walking within just a few weeks. She's now doing gymnastics 9 hrs/week and was selected for regional competitions so it hasn't slowed her down!

Soldato
OP
Our daughter didn't bother crawling and we thought she'd be slow walking. She crawled for like two weeks before she started walking. Seems like she wanted to get carried everywhere until she felt happy to walk.

Associate

My 15month old daughter was quite late crawling (about a week after her first birthday). She is starting to pull herself up onto her feet all the time but shows absolutely no interest in taking steps unless I am holding her hands. Ive tried leaning her up back to the wall and sitting a couple of feet away but she just gets stroppy and cant figure out how to lower herself down.
The doctors have said they have no concerns with her at all but it is getting upsetting watching all her friends running around while she is still stuck on all fours.

As with the others, some kids just enjoy sitting there. My son was walking at 10 months as a little bundle of energy, I think my daughter didn't bother till around 18 months as she just enjoyed sitting around playing with her toys and watching her brother rush around the place. My nephew was the same - didn't even look interested in walking to around 18 months. Was having far too much fun playing with his pirates

Associate
Thanks for that dads. As it happens when I got home from work today and sat on the floor to see her, she stood up to give me a hug! :) I am hoping she takes those steps soon.

Ah nice one mate.

Similar to the other guys, our daughter didn’t walk until about 16 months, but no concerns and at 3 and a half now she’s super (too!) confident at evertything.

Our little lad is 5 months old and is so much stronger than her, already can kinda stand if you prop him against settee for example. I’d imagine he’ll be on the go well before 1.

They are all different and great in their own little ways :)

Soldato
It does get annoying when we take ours to someone that hasn't seen him before, blah blah blah he should be sitting up by now at 11 months old.
He's still only 6.5kg as well actually lost weight the last few weeks due to teething and a cold, the temp health visitor went nuts and told us to see the doctor immediately.
Bugs me a bit that they only know the charts and of your baby isn't conforming to the chart something must be wrong.
When I see most babies they look fat.

Soldato
Thanks for that dads. As it happens when I got home from work today and sat on the floor to see her, she stood up to give me a hug! :) I am hoping she takes those steps soon.
Don't measure her progress on others, it really doesn't matter. It's not like she'll get to 20 and be like, ah ****, probably should get this walking thing sorted. It will come, don't stress.

Soldato
It does get annoying when we take ours to someone that hasn't seen him before, blah blah blah he should be sitting up by now at 11 months old.
He's still only 6.5kg as well actually lost weight the last few weeks due to teething and a cold, the temp health visitor went nuts and told us to see the doctor immediately.
Bugs me a bit that they only know the charts and of your baby isn't conforming to the chart something must be wrong.

Welcome to 21st century medicine. There’s a chart/spectrum for everything and heaven help you if your kid isn’t right in the middle of the “Normal” range for something.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Babies need a bit of chub for when they are ill as they don't feed so well if they're off colour but not every baby is born on time, the same size etc. It's not all about the numbers but they are a metric for when to seek help as they are sensitive little gremlins.

My O/H is obcessive about the chart and weight. He dropped a centile after his initial example expected drop and she seems to knee-jerk react to it despite the health visitors and doctors not not being concerned. He does seem eternally hungry however, he's 4 months and last night tried baby rice for the first time. He loved it, lapped it up took to using a spoon like it was natural, deffo like his mum and dad when it comes to food haha.

No baby is the same though, so long as they're gaining weight, growing and happy it's all good I say.

Anyone have any post natal issues with their o/h? Mine has become a little agrophobic. Any excuse to not go out while she's home alone, but then can't stand being home alone so to speak so hard to deal with when you come home from work and don't entirely feel the most sociable yoursel; but she's desperate for human attention. She's not the most extrovert but she has been taking him to swimming classes once a week at least but not keen on the other mums. Trying to get her to get back into her fitness in the evenings as that'll bring her mood up but anything that is not perfect brings her down.l at the moment.

Anyone had any experience of this and got any ideas? The relationship has been really tested as of late with some irrational outbursts and tbh I've not been great with it so I'm struggling now. I take the load off wherever I can but apparently it's not enough somehow even with my mum taking him and her having some keep in touch days at work 3 says a month and having no restrictions or expectations of her when I'm not at work.

Ted is doing great though, really coming on, I had some moments where I didn't feel like he bonded with me but now I get him giggling, laughing and he's happy for me to soothe him to sleep.

Not keen on a cool breeze:
y56QGcol.jpg

Keen for a pint though:
VDy2rK6l.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you really mean 6.5kg at 11 months old? Because yes while I agree charts are often overused, that just looks like your baby is severely underweight. Which at that age can be dangerous and really harm development. If you're ~1kg less than the 5th percentile at that weight that looks like a time to be worried. Did you go to see a doctor?

Rims3s8.png

Soldato
How you guys dealing with the terrible 2's?

My girl turned 2 in November and she started nursery at the same time (1 hour twice a week which has now turned into 2 hours a day)

She was an absolute saint before - learned all her ABC's, counting to 15, pooping and peeping independently (tells us so we can take her) and listening to us - we rarely had to pull out the 321 countdown, plus loads of other stuff.

Recently though she just cries! You know the open mouth one where they just moan - not really cry. Its usually about nothing (not getting her way or being told off or sharing a toy) Its infuriating as you ask her if she wants a lollipop and shes right as rain.
I am concerned its something she picked up at nursery but I don't want to point the finger and its all part of her experiencing different things. But when at home I have a certain expectation. This isnt it.

We have tried a star chart with rewards and seeing how that goes but I am not sure its making a difference.

Any ideas?

Don

My girl turned 2 in November and she started nursery at the same time (1 hour twice a week which has now turned into 2 hours a day)

She was an absolute saint before - learned all her ABC's, counting to 15, pooping and peeping independently (tells us so we can take her) and listening to us - we rarely had to pull out the 321 countdown, plus loads of other stuff.

Recently though she just cries! You know the open mouth one where they just moan - not really cry. Its usually about nothing (not getting her way or being told off or sharing a toy) Its infuriating as you ask her if she wants a lollipop and shes right as rain.
I am concerned its something she picked up at nursery but I don't want to point the finger and its all part of her experiencing different things. But when at home I have a certain expectation. This isnt it.

We have tried a star chart with rewards and seeing how that goes but I am not sure its making a difference.

Any ideas?

In my experience, the "crocodile" fake tears usually happen when they are excessively tired. If she's just started nursery, that would probably explain it. Nursery is exhausting for them

Soldato
Do you really mean 6.5kg at 11 months old? Because yes while I agree charts are often overused, that just looks like your baby is severely underweight. Which at that age can be dangerous and really harm development. If you're ~1kg less than the 5th percentile at that weight that looks like a time to be worried. Did you go to see a doctor?

Rims3s8.png

You need to read some of my previous posts in this thread. All will become clear, its a long but sad story.

He's always been below the 0.4th centile line. We have been told to ignore it.
He looks far from underweight as well. Will add a picture when I'm back at my PC.

Excuse the pasta, he likes feeding himself.
wJhZGea5ZVxo0_z4zbEoK5hkr-N3_XT8RSO7Rn60tVLLRU9Bx27FfGTlWaNdY9VI1o7SQ4aEJf17tn2FQeg6r76ugvtrzIVP_hUN0LXCToi99Ij2U8zjTXku24Jg9Mk4bAdU2t_W1Eyd14HLvd5Oc4f-UxH_nTdt1-w92c4lQh8TnyzLrx58IrE6XZcipgZaGOXMjo7hZXYaeIOCE1p2HD4MGDKuixre6Jv0mI-M7932M9LR4DeWHnQuV-XrEnKR23OwQ0faEh2LLK4czKvag2VZH2G4fR9UHb2CKXKQSN5kKGo_EOXMZ7ZwpJdkmpWfaA9KrX6jZHhnO0GvmaIfXCh1zkdudmyoyRPfr34ZF4pJ30MPBpmEBf3danDZL7XSDyw1BkX9tzK1jQcCn5UgDO6Y1-R1yLeRRIX3flPabL0CmkQf9jWI7JiiicV94pfy5oOOvKAm6fcKWfXY55pabb06r3MwHXJDGjG11O4u0UQNeqJTaNavOsy5VJh6k7P_45J2rhWUjUCkW8zChRn-0cHG2gOUdbDj8D7-NOsrbkbVfYhbIiai984kssPglbzKxH7XrRlxL2y4SMspdytzSBxXzPT10Gygc-0m4ZjlL4nz7h_EYaixl88AqX-UKfsZ0BEkoeY3uw-hyu9J0YL6PXqB=w350-h450-no

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep, long days and long weeks and our youngest just cries. Luckily at 4 she tells us "Daddy I'm just really tired" but had the same when she was younger too.
In my experience, the "crocodile" fake tears usually happen when they are excessively tired. If she's just started nursery, that would probably explain it. Nursery is exhausting for them

Cheers - She has a good routine at the moment
Up at 7, nursery from 9-11 and then a 2 hour nap. Lunch at 2ish, dinner at 6ish, in bed by 8pm. Does she need another nap?

She has been a bit ill lately and didn't know why - coughing and wheezing with a runny nose and temperature all over the place. Docs said she might have asthma and given an inhaler and separator but we've just seen her back teeth starting to come out so might be that.

All of it makes her a bit fragile and don't want to come down on her too hard!

Any other advice would be appreciated!

Soldato
You need to read some of my previous posts in this thread. All will become clear.

He's always been below the 0.4th centile line. We have been told to ignore it.
He looks far from underweight as well. Will add a picture when I'm back at my PC.

Excuse the pasta, he likes feeding himself.
wJhZGea5ZVxo0_z4zbEoK5hkr-N3_XT8RSO7Rn60tVLLRU9Bx27FfGTlWaNdY9VI1o7SQ4aEJf17tn2FQeg6r76ugvtrzIVP_hUN0LXCToi99Ij2U8zjTXku24Jg9Mk4bAdU2t_W1Eyd14HLvd5Oc4f-UxH_nTdt1-w92c4lQh8TnyzLrx58IrE6XZcipgZaGOXMjo7hZXYaeIOCE1p2HD4MGDKuixre6Jv0mI-M7932M9LR4DeWHnQuV-XrEnKR23OwQ0faEh2LLK4czKvag2VZH2G4fR9UHb2CKXKQSN5kKGo_EOXMZ7ZwpJdkmpWfaA9KrX6jZHhnO0GvmaIfXCh1zkdudmyoyRPfr34ZF4pJ30MPBpmEBf3danDZL7XSDyw1BkX9tzK1jQcCn5UgDO6Y1-R1yLeRRIX3flPabL0CmkQf9jWI7JiiicV94pfy5oOOvKAm6fcKWfXY55pabb06r3MwHXJDGjG11O4u0UQNeqJTaNavOsy5VJh6k7P_45J2rhWUjUCkW8zChRn-0cHG2gOUdbDj8D7-NOsrbkbVfYhbIiai984kssPglbzKxH7XrRlxL2y4SMspdytzSBxXzPT10Gygc-0m4ZjlL4nz7h_EYaixl88AqX-UKfsZ0BEkoeY3uw-hyu9J0YL6PXqB=w350-h450-no
Fair play, apologies for jumping in without any context.

Soldato
Fair play, apologies for jumping in without any context.
No problem. Its what pointed out that the charts are a bit pointless and wrong. Hes been examined and hes fine he even has some fat on him.

Got to watch Hospital tonight on BBC2, his heart surgeon is on it tonight. His neuro surgeon was on it a few weeks back.

Soldato

My daughter showed little interest in walking solo and would only walk if you held both hands, if you let go of one she'd just sit down then one day around 19mth she just got up and off she went. Seems like she's not sat down since.

Soldato
OP

Any ideas?
Mine is the same (worse by the sound of it). Getting her socks and shoes on to leave for work/nursery in the morning when she's tired can be extremely stressful. Screaming, tantrums, the lot. Generally, I just allow a bit more time, as rushing her makes her freeze up. Like me, she likes to ease into the day

Back
Top Bottom