I got me 3D printer, awesome!

Man of Honour
Not sure which your print settings are (as in comparable names for the same parameter) but I usually do wood at 40mm/s print speed (I think retraction is the same), 120mm/s travel speed but mine is a slower printer - I've not had good results with wood stuff printing at higher speeds. (That would probably seriously add to your print times).

Atleast with the stuff I use temperature makes no odds to stuff like that other than it looks poor and doesn't print well (very rough) if I drop too low.

Soldato
just noticed Amazon a doing their own 'basics' filaments.

Bought a couple of 1kg spools to try, £12.69 each next day delivery with Prime :eek:

Eventually got round to trying my first spool of this.

Grey, really nice light shade. Prints well @215C. Nice smooth finish. The spools also has increments printed on next to a cut out so you can the length and weight of the filament left which is a nice touch.

Will be buying it again if can I get it at this price.

Soldato
Anyone here print with PETG? Having issues with corners curling up half way through prints. Using 70c bed, 240c tool, tried brim and raft, fan off first 2 layers, first 2 layers 15mm/s. Printing on glass, tried hairspray and painters tape, same happens every time. Small prints are fine but a larger print always curls up.

Man of Honour
Tried Pritt Stick or the Uhu equivalent? (on top of painters tape - probably not a good idea to use it on glass) I find the bed temperature sometimes can be a bit counter-intuitive sometimes with lower or higher temperatures sometimes working out better when you'd think the opposite as well.

Man of Honour
Anyone here print with PETG? Having issues with corners curling up half way through prints. Using 70c bed, 240c tool, tried brim and raft, fan off first 2 layers, first 2 layers 15mm/s. Printing on glass, tried hairspray and painters tape, same happens every time. Small prints are fine but a larger print always curls up.

Ender3?

I print straight to glass with the following settings with PrimaSelect PETG
80c bed, 85c initial layer
240c nozzle
Fan off until layer 4
15mm/s first layer speed

Soldato
So I always struggled with my Ender 3, really having trouble getting it anywhere near reliable, and I never really got there honestly. I printed and made so many mods for it, and replaced so many bits. Filament guides, different levelling wheels, fitted a new extruder mechanism, replaced all the PTFE tubing and couplers, new cooling fan setups, two fans died, my bed was warped from the factory the list goes on. But I really loved 3d printing and decided to hang it out there and get a better printer - I got a Prusa MK3 a week or so before Christmas.

It is absolutely amazing! I've been printing PLA, PETG, ABS, ASA... I've had like.. two, maybe three failures? And they're all due to bed adhesion and were fixed with a brim of a couple of mm.

I'm honestly staggered by how good it is compared to my Ender. I think my Ender was a bit of a lemon, but I really did try with it. I'm going to keep going with it and try and sort out but the difference is night and day, I'm totally in love with this Prusa.

So I always struggled with my Ender 3, really having trouble getting it anywhere near reliable, and I never really got there honestly. I printed and made so many mods for it, and replaced so many bits. Filament guides, different levelling wheels, fitted a new extruder mechanism, replaced all the PTFE tubing and couplers, new cooling fan setups, two fans died, my bed was warped from the factory the list goes on. But I really loved 3d printing and decided to hang it out there and get a better printer - I got a Prusa MK3 a week or so before Christmas.

It is absolutely amazing! I've been printing PLA, PETG, ABS, ASA... I've had like.. two, maybe three failures? And they're all due to bed adhesion and were fixed with a brim of a couple of mm.

I'm honestly staggered by how good it is compared to my Ender. I think my Ender was a bit of a lemon, but I really did try with it. I'm going to keep going with it and try and sort out but the difference is night and day, I'm totally in love with this Prusa.

The slightly dodgy 1st printer is a rite of passage, and a great way to learn about 3D printing. If it all worked out of the box you never would have calibrated your e-steps, become adept at bed levelling, written your own Marlin firmware configs, made all those mods and appreciated how each one improved (or worsened) the print quality etc.

Soldato
The slightly dodgy 1st printer is a rite of passage, and a great way to learn about 3D printing. If it all worked out of the box you never would have calibrated your e-steps, become adept at bed levelling, written your own Marlin firmware configs, made all those mods and appreciated how each one improved (or worsened) the print quality etc.
Bang on!

Same with my first PC, I spent more time making it work than using it as a computer. Best thing that could have happened.

Back
Top Bottom