Replacing my work horse Asus RT-56U

Associate
I have had the Asus RT-56U running constantly since 2011. Its the main router for the house and I use the superhub 3 in modem modem and this as my main router. Connected to it is a simple RT-12 that I use as an access point.

To be honest I have not updated the firmware on the thing for years (its currently running 3.0.0.4.370_3879)

I have a couple of questions. The kids are getting older and demand on the network is increase with the kids on tablets and stuff and to be honest this setup has served we well and continues to be sufficient for now but I am looking to perhaps spend a little and see if I can improve/upgrade a bit and future proof myself a little.

1, Firstly, is it worth updating the firmware on the modem? I like the idea of a separate guest SSID and I believe thats possible with the later firmwares?
2, If I was to replace it what would people recommends given the above if I had a budget of around £100 to spend?

Soldato
You should always try to keep router firmware updated as they often include security patches.

The main thing you'll be missing out on at the moment is 802.11ac wireless.

Most of the 'nice' routers are going to cost more than your £100 budget.

Associate
OP
How much more of a budget am I going to need? I believe this router was originally around £60 and has served me well for many years what advantages do I get from putting more money into a new router?

Soldato
you can try the padavan firmware for the n56u, last build was Nov 18. Asus stopped the official updates in 2017.

Unless you need AC, or you find the signal lacking, there isnt much the n56 cant do. I normally have 10-15 devices connected to mine and its no bother at all.

I like the idea of a separate guest SSID and I believe thats possible with the later firmwares

You can have a guest SSID on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz, so 4 in total. Not sure if that's padavan only or not, i've been running custom firmware on mine for years.

Associate
OP
I`ll try a firmware upgrade in the meantime then, I clearly don't have a need for AC just yet, although with all the kids streaming content to various devices around the house I suppose it will only be a matter of time. I recently added a small 8 port switch down by the TV so everything that sits near the telly can now connect via Ethernet to the internet. The only thing I stream really is some content from the RT-12 in the bedroom to a amazon fire TV stick and that works fine. I suppose when it comes to upgrading I could potentially just purchase something along the lines of one of these?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...and-wifi-router-for-smart-home-nw-10u-as.html

Could someone point me in the right direction for the correct firmware update? I have found a source for them but I`m unsure which version I need, base, dlna or trmd?

Last edited:
Soldato
What you have is a 2.4Ghz (n) wifi set-up, it'll give better penetration through objects such as walls than 5Ghz (ac) and speeds of 'up to' 300Mbit. Unless your WAN (internet) connection is significantly faster than 300Mbit that or your kids are streaming 4K REMUX media locally, then what you have will likely be adequate for many years to come. Faster wifi isn't always the solution to the problem.

As to the specific firmware, Asus seem to have released at least 10 versions of the N12, you'll need to check the specific hardware version you have (usually on the sticker or listed in the UI).

Associate
OP
What you have is a 2.4Ghz (n) wifi set-up, it'll give better penetration through objects such as walls than 5Ghz (ac) and speeds of 'up to' 300Mbit. Unless your WAN (internet) connection is significantly faster than 300Mbit that or your kids are streaming 4K REMUX media locally, then what you have will likely be adequate for many years to come. Faster wifi isn't always the solution to the problem.

As to the specific firmware, Asus seem to have released at least 10 versions of the N12, you'll need to check the specific hardware version you have (usually on the sticker or listed in the UI).

thanks for the reply, I managed to sort out and update the N-12 to the latest firmware from the Asus Website, my original question was for the RT-N56U still stand which would be the best and most upto date firmware I can apply to it? and what are my options should I want to replace it within the next 12 months?

Soldato
Choose your poison, openwrt or Padavan are probably where i'd be looking firmware wise. In terms of a replacement i'd suggest avoiding anything with 'ASUS' written on it, what exactly do you need from your router that the SH3 wasn't able to provide? Just Guest VLAN SSID or anything else important?

Associate
OP
Choose your poison, openwrt or Padavan are probably where i'd be looking firmware wise. In terms of a replacement i'd suggest avoiding anything with 'ASUS' written on it, what exactly do you need from your router that the SH3 wasn't able to provide? Just Guest VLAN SSID or anything else important?

Have updated it to the base firmware and it does appear to be much quicker. For some reason it didnt work at first but its all up and working now. I had to manually connect a number of devices back to the router but its all up and running again now and we are good. I assume if I give both the 5Gz and the 2.4Ghz networks the same the SSID the devices will connect to which ever is the quickest? that`s how I have always ran it before?

To be honest I am not sure. The network I have now just feels a bit patchy where I have added stuff over the years to accommodate more and more connections some are wired some are wireless and I can only see that increasing, when I checked before the firmware upgrade there were 25 devices connected to the router in some form or another.

Soldato
25 devices is nothing to worry about, your WAN (internet) connection will usually be an issue well before your router taps out with local clients.

Associate
OP
So it would appear my modem is slowly dying. Its getting hotter and hotter everyday and I believe when it get to hot the connection is crapping out which cause issues on both the network and the internet. Would it be possible for me to just replace it with something like?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-rt-ac57u-dual-band-ac1200-router-nw-114-as.html

for now? how does this model fair with the previous one?

Soldato
Modem? If you're talking about Virgin's hub then your only option is to get it replaced by them.

If you're referring to your RT-56U then what you've linked would be a suitable replacement. No idea how good/bad it is.

Associate
OP
Technically yes, but i'd suggest you could do better, eg buy something that isn't ASUS.

Any suggestion in our around the £100 or less mark? In the mean time I have taken it out of the plastic and just have it sitting on the floor for now. Would it be an idea to get a USB fan to aid cooling it or do I just replace it and be done with it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Any suggestion in our around the £100 or less mark? In the mean time I have taken it out of the plastic and just have it sitting on the floor for now. Would it be an idea to get a USB fan to aid cooling it or do I just replace it and be done with it?

I know I asked a similar question earlier, but other than basic router functionality, what's important to you? The budget isn't unreasonable, but if you're literally just wanting a basic router, then often your ISP can be persuaded to supply one FOC if you re-contract.

Soldato
According to the opening post it’s a Virgin connection.

Why did the OP decide to add a router in the first place? There’s a fair chance that it was just to get better wireless.

Back
Top Bottom