Speeding ticket in the post?

Soldato
Please let me know what you think:

M5 northbound, Cruise set to 84mph (I know) so actual speed I estimate at about 82-83mph. I was keeping my eyes peeled but failed to notice on an overhead bridge a man wearing a hi viz jacket facing me with an object to his eyes, sighting through it. I spotted him about 200m away and was in the outside lane overtaking 2 lorries and was doing about 80 as I went underneath him. I looked in my rear view and he'd turned around to face me as I drove on.

Definite speeding ticket I thought, a motorcycle police officer had hidden his/her bike out of sight and got me fair and square. Gf doesn't think so, she thinks he was some sort of highways engineer because he had both hands up to his eyes using what appeared to be binoculars, plus his hi viz jacket had a big hood which he had up (it was raining). Also after I'd passed she said he did turn and face in our direction but leant back against the barrier. I didn't notice these points because I only got snapshots, when driving it's lots of quick glances here and there rather than having the luxury of being able to study someone.

I really don't know, I'm sure traffic cops have hi viz jackets with hoods and maybe the old radar gun which is held at arms length has been replaced with something which looks similar to binoculars. One thing is certain: I was doing well over 70mph and going faster than other traffic in the area, so it's a fair cop if they got me.

What does motors think?

Last edited:
Associate
You'll find out in 14 days, basically. If the letter arrives after 14 days of the alleged event, you have pretty good grounds to contest it. Always also find out what they used, and what the laws are surrounding it as the Police have to do their job by the letter just as you do.

I was utterly convinced I got zapped on one journey back from Manchester Airport. Drove most of the way at the national limit, but decided to open up the engine a little on the A1(M) to get past some traffic that was doing my head in (slowing down and speeding up constantly). There was a van on one of the overpasses with one of the new fangled video camera's that can catch you... basically as soon as you see it. I must have been just within the their acceptable limits (guidance is 10% +2, but its not a rule, they can decide 71 is too much if they feel like it) before sending out a NIP, or he was looking at someone else before I slowed down.

My feeling on your event is you're probably fine, but the post arriving in the morning is going to be a bit of a bum clencher for the next 2 weeks.

Soldato
If you were doing 84mph on cruise, you were probably doing about 80mph in reality.

80 will just get you caught by a camera van - but no cop in the land would give you a ticket for 80 unless there was aggravating circumstances. Most actual officers don't give them below about 90mph.

Soldato
I still see them maybe once every few months. Usually hidden over the brow of a hill or behind a blind bend. The sort of places they like to hide fixed cameras. Entirely as a deterrent ofc ;)

Associate
Genuine question, am I the only person that does about 74 (indicated) on the motorway because thats the speed limit?
Generally I will also stick pretty close to the speedlimit (or at least what I can get away with), but from time to time if there is someone doing my head in, I like to get away from them quickly as I can.

Soldato
Genuine question, am I the only person that does about 74 (indicated) on the motorway because thats the speed limit?
I stick the cruise control on 77, know I am going 72-74 and just plod along. I always keep my speedo within speed limit +10% and that's it. Boring but low risk.

Associate
Depends what the hand held is. If its a camera, then no. If its just a radar, then yes I think they do.
Haven't seen an officer with a Radar in years though, its basically redundant tech at this point.

See i see a bike cop with a radar gun every few days. Near me is a 50mph limit dual carriage way. Just before that its 70mph obviously but people dont slow enough and the coppers will stand on an island at a junction about 200m beyond the threshold of the 50mph limit and catch people all day long

Associate
See i see a bike cop with a radar gun every few days. Near me is a 50mph limit dual carriage way. Just before that its 70mph obviously but people dont slow enough and the coppers will stand on an island at a junction about 200m beyond the threshold of the 50mph limit and catch people all day long
But is it actually a radar, or is it a handheld camera/laser combo?
If I got a NIP through the post and it was a single police officer who recorded my speed on a radar gun, then took a note of my number plate, I would contest that all day long.
More often than not what they use is the same system that's in the back of the vans, it's not much bigger than a DSLR

Soldato
If I got a NIP through the post and it was a single police officer who recorded my speed on a radar gun, then took a note of my number plate, I would contest that all day long.

On what basis? What is a court going to believe? The professional opinion of a police officer or "I wasn't doing that speed guvnor!"

Soldato
I stick to speed limits nowadays. Speeding makes hardly any difference to journey times so why bother risking it.

Yeah, unless you proper hammer it. I like to do the maths quiz my GF when she starts all the "why are you driving so slow? Don't you know we're late" crap. Makes the journey fly by...

So if I drive at an extra 20mph for the next 25 minutes, how much earlier are we getting there? Apparently though, it's about feels. I blame Brexit.

Caporegime

Am I the only person who either goes 56 or 85 depending on if I am in a hurry or saving fuel, but barely ever drives the actual speed limit? :p

OP I think you will be fine as that is likely to be an actual 80/81MPH. Though 10%+2 is just a guideline, most forces will generally use it as a rough rule unless there are aggravating circumstances (tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, general poor driving, visibly poor car condition, etc) so you will likely be fine up to an actual 89MPH which may well be an indicated 95~

I was flashed by a gantry camera at an indicated 95MPH or thereabouts on the M1 and didn't get a ticket for it.

Back
Top Bottom