2019 Chilli Growing thread

Associate
Planted the jalapeno and padrons over the weekend in heated propagator, just need to give it time to see if they take or not

Digging out jalapeno seeds from last year and found a stash of seeds gf has bought to do this year, not sure what i'll go for from this list but will probably just do 1 or 2 of a couple of these varieties
trinidad scorpion yellow
devils tongue white
thunder mountain longhorn
basket of fire
some purple gusto chilli that i cant quite remember the name of

maybe the longhorns and devil tongue, but undecided yet

Soldato
From a packet of say 10 seeds, how many do people sow for germination? I'm just thinking that I don't want to end up with loads of plants that I can't store properly...

Soldato
I was checking my overwintered plants earlier and spotted this on the Paper Lantern Habanero - my first chilli of the season! :D

firstchilli.jpg

Soldato
Hey all,

I kept my plants from last year based on advice from a neighbour and this forum

this is what they currently look like:

3509e06.jpg

fo3syx.jpg

do you think they will grow? when do I need to start watering them?

Soldato
I'd give them a bit of water now and see how they get on as we move into spring.

At the end of last season I cut mine down to about 20cm above the soil, left a few small leaves on the plants and moved the pots indoors on a windowsill so they were out of the cold. I gave them a bit of water every few weeks or so, when the leaves began to droop.

Soldato
The stalks are green which is a good sign. I'd give them a good glug of water while the weather is nice.

My seedlings are loving this recent sun. Got a few sets of leaves showing already!

Soldato
thanks guys

the person who built the greenhouse in that spot is a genius
it gets sun all year round when the weather is good of course. I left them out there all winter long.

I will start watering from tonight.

do you think the green house is a good place to keep all of my other pots for other plants that I'm going to grow?

Soldato
*snip*

do you think the green house is a good place to keep all of my other pots for other plants that I'm going to grow?

If you mean empty pots then no, they'll encourage pests into your greenhouse by providing a great place for them to live. Ideally you want your greenhouse to be as clear of clutter as possible. I always clear mine out around this time of year and give the glass and floor a good scrub with a Jeyes Fluid solution to kill all the nasties. (My greenhouse has a concrete floor like yours. A good scrub will get rid of that moss.)

Edit: I've found that moss usually grows thickest where rain water is leaking in throught damaged/ill-fitting glass in the roof. You have a thick area of moss near the centre, and the soil in the nearby pot looks damper than the rest so check the glass above.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you mean empty pots then no, they'll encourage pests into your greenhouse by providing a great place for them to live. Ideally you want your greenhouse to be as clear of clutter as possible. I always clear mine out around this time of year and give the glass and floor a good scrub with a Jeyes Fluid solution to kill all the nasties. (My greenhouse has a concrete floor like yours. A good scrub will get rid of that moss.)

Edit: I've found that moss usually grows thickest where rain water is leaking in throught damaged/ill-fitting glass in the roof. You have a thick area of moss near the centre, and the soil in the nearby pot looks damper than the rest so check the glass above.

thanks it was a massive tip last year and I managed to clean it out

when the weather gets good in my freetime I will give the floor a good scrub
changing glass was a nightmare- I will see if there is a leak though

what do you use on the glass? Mine is very dirty but worried about cleaning the glass it is very fragile

I was talking about pots with my seeds in them, usually I stick them overnight in the garage just wondering if they would be ok in the greenhouse instead of the garage.

Soldato
I watered the plants last night, probably do it again today

it's quite warm here almost 20c in the greenhouse it's close to 38C!!!

Soldato
Last year soil dried out too quickly on my first batch then the cats nibbled the leaves on my second.

I'm sure my cats are out to kill my chillies! Last year one of them pushed the whole propagator off the window sill!

2 of the reapers you send me are 3inches high now :)

No leaves yet..

Nice! Two out of three of mine have died as they couldn't cope with the heat and wilted.

Associate
OP
I'm sure my cats are out to kill my chillies! Last year one of them pushed the whole propagator off the window sill!

Nice! Two out of three of mine have died as they couldn't cope with the heat and wilted.

I tried to keep mine safe from the cat by putting them in a cold-frame in the conservatory - I failed - the polycarbonate multiwall sheet on top unfortunately couldn't take 6kg of cat

Looking at upgrading it to solid polycarbonate sheet this year :rolleyes:

Soldato
I tried to keep mine safe from the cat by putting them in a cold-frame in the conservatory - I failed - the polycarbonate multiwall sheet on top unfortunately couldn't take 6kg of cat

Looking at upgrading it to solid polycarbonate sheet this year :rolleyes:
Interesting to read this as I was planning of making a small greenhouse with the double walled stuff. Did your cat go through it?

Soldato
thanks it was a massive tip last year and I managed to clean it out

when the weather gets good in my freetime I will give the floor a good scrub
changing glass was a nightmare- I will see if there is a leak though

what do you use on the glass? Mine is very dirty but worried about cleaning the glass it is very fragile

I was talking about pots with my seeds in them, usually I stick them overnight in the garage just wondering if they would be ok in the greenhouse instead of the garage.

Good stuff.
I spray the glass inside and out with a hosepipe, then I use a rag and a Jeyes Fluid solution to wipe over the inside. Then I sweep and scrub the floor, again with Keyes Fluid solution. I get everything out of there first, obviously, so I can clean every inch, and wait until it's dried off before putting things back (especially any plants - Jeyes Fluid will kill them, even in solution).

Yes, your sewn seeds will be fine in the greenhouse.

Back
Top Bottom