TN or IPS

Associate
Currently have a Hannspree HG324QJB 32" 1440p 144hz Adaptive Sync but wasn't that impressed with the colours when compared to a IPS or 4K HDR TV

I then saw that the dell 27" Dell S2719DGF which is a TN panel was getting very good reviews and got me thinking, the 32" curve is slightly washed out and is the 32" to big on my desk

Also whilst reading about the dell noticed you can get a IPS 144hz monitor Acer XF270HUA

Is the IPS 10bit at 144hz and better than TN and VA for colours

Wondering if I should drop down to 27" @ 1440

Soldato
I looked at a couple of reviews of the Acer before I bought the Dell. The Acer was out of stock at the time.

Got some very good reviews, colour, apparently very good, will be better than T.N. won't have the contrast of V.A but I.P.S has advantages in terms of uniformity etc.
Did not check to see if it plays well with adaptive sync, as I assumed it was end of life and not going to be back in stock.

If the Acer works ok with adaptive sync and response proved to be reasonable (would want to check those two things further) I would have run with it over the Dell.

Soldato
If light bleed wasn't such a pain in the ass 'panel lottery' issue with IPS screens, this question wouldn't even be asked any more.

If you hit the jackpot and get a minimal light bleed IPS screen, there simply isn't a better option out there.

Soldato
So everyone is saying IPS ....but what about if its gaming only wouldn't the TN Dell panel be better overall ?

Dell is great for gaming. I don't know how response and adaptive sync work on the Acer so can't say much about it but it looks like a good choice on paper.

I have (edit. had, gave it away a few days ago) an I.P.S panel a Dell ultra-sharp, its a very nice I.P.S, I also have the Dell S2719DGF its a great t.n. gaming panel.

I was happy to pay £350 for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Purcashed a Dell S2719DGF and so far appears loads better than the 32" Hannspree VA panel in every way

My 'problem' is that I recently bought a 1080Ti and want to use it to its full potential which I currently cannot with my Dell U2715H (60Hz IPS) but I'm very worried that the Dell S2719DGF will look poor in comparison side by side.

Soldato
My 'problem' is that I recently bought a 1080Ti and want to use it to its full potential which I currently cannot with my Dell U2715H (60Hz IPS) but I'm very worried that the Dell S2719DGF will look poor in comparison side by side.

Run them side by side? Best of both worlds.

Associate
OP

I had a 4K IPS 60Hz monitor with my Macbook pro and loved it. But never really used it and just used the laptop as normal and used my 4K imac. I can say that this new dell monoitor isnt as bad as what its appears on paper. Quite surpised to be honest. The text and browsing is still sharp and very useable

Soldato

When you first plug it in next to the Dell it will look terrible in comparison. Its a good idea not to do it at first.

In terms of first impressions in comparison to an I.P.S the Dell S2719DGF is a total loser. But if I turn round and look at my T.V. the I.P.S and T.N. both look worse, does not mean I would want to start playing games on my t.v. it's not that good.

Not a good way to judge what a panel can do.

It takes some adjustment if you are use to I.P.S, first couple of days are uncomfortable. The only thing I would not recommend the t.n for is photo editing and for some users the switch from a familiar panel tech to one that is different is going to be unappealing no matter what it can do. Its not a good out of the box experience, takes time to get use to it.

60hz. I.P.S does a range of things really well and is just about ok for snail paced 60 f.p.s. gaming. T.N does most things well, some things ok (editing, meh) and is great for gaming.

Whatever 1080ti is wasted on a 60 hz panel. Upgrading monitors is a headache but worth it to get the most out of the card.

Soldato
Too many people parrot old information about TN vs IPS and seemingly don't have an understanding.. no that's not fair to say, best to say are not up to date with their monitor knowledge, because any half-decent TN panel will be 8 Bit putting out 16.7m colours just like IPS panels.

Associate
I have an Acer Predator 27" 1440p, 144Hz TN monitor, and it's great. It's a gaming/internet faffing rig, no photo editing or whatnot occurs. It's the best monitor I've ever owned for sure, bright, sharp and colours very vibrant.
Didn't realise TN was so bad...

Associate
Contrary to most here I would go TN, I'm sensitive to blur and some TN's have good colour these days. All VA and almost all IPS just can't compete. Check on TFT Central to make sure the monitor has good colour repro

Associate
I`m in similar situation. Will take delivery of the Dell S2719DGF tomorrow, high hopes here.
Tried dual Acer IPS Full HD, fast response, gave me headache, for some reason, returned.
Tried the LG LG 32UD89-W, bad for a over £500 monitor. Every single IPS weakness present. Returned.
Tried the iiyama X3272UHS-B1, better than the LG, in my opinion, but slow response, as if wasn't at 60Hz even if it was in fact set for it. Returned.
Decided for a TV. First the LG 43UK6400PLF. As I own a LG 65UK6950PLB, which is very good, the 34 is quite poor. Somehow, any text at the left or right far end of the screen seemed as fluctuating, as if the image was present in a glass, then few millimetres behind it, the dark area without any light, darkening about the 1-2mm of the screen. As a TV wouldn't notice, ever, I would say, but as a monitor, unusable. Even the guys at Richer Sound where surprised as none of the TVs there, IPS panels, had such "problem", but the 43UK6300 and 43UK6400 had, so a design flaw or not intended/usable as monitor. Returned.
Trying now the Samsung 43NU7400. Decent, but not too many options in the menus to adjust the image when using in PC mode or Gaming mode. Let down, as the LG would allow much more adjustments. Returning it tomorrow at a loss, but not for me.
In general, I wouldn't recommend a TV as monitor, despite the speakers being much better than the ones provided in few monitors. Shame.

Associate
OP
I picked up a Dell S2719DGF this weekend and over the moon with it. I have a iMac 4K, had a Dell 4K IPS 60hz and 32" curved VA panel

I sold the Dell 4K IPS because it was only 23" and 60hz otherwise would have kept it, but wasn't any good for gaming and wanted bigger monitor. I still use iMac 4K for browsing and general computer stuff and only use my gaming rig for games. But now that I have the Dell S2719DGF attached to the gaming rig I already feel happy to use for anything. Its a cracking monitor and all this stuff about TN, VA or IPS....I can't really say I see it.

The 32" curved VA panel was horrible, like looking at a washed out screen with cling film attached and the curve was horrible for browsing with washed out web pages

Well happy with the Dell S2719DGF

Associate
Received mine (Dell S2719DGF) today. Fantastic. Gamma corrected using Profile from pcmonitors and reducing slightly R to 96, G to 96 and B to 99 and brightness to 35. Superb.
About IPS, tried 2 acer before, one LG and a LG UHD TV. Tried also the iiyama VA and a Samsung TV UHD VA, All showing the weird effect when moving to or from a dark scene. Colour, yes, great, as viewing angle, but once adjusted, the Dell has little compromises comparing to similar priced monitors.
Not that I don't like IPS panels, my precious monitor for the past 6 or 7 years was a Dell IPS, which was much better than most of the ones I had the chance to try or see.

Back
Top Bottom