Optane "memory" worth it?

Permabanned
I might have a spare m2slot
Is it worth using for an optane module?

no, its just a boost drive. if your running an SSD then your fine.
if your not running an SSD then for the same cost buy a bigger SSD and run an ssd lol.

there is a few situations where running boot SSD, or a cache drive dose benefit

Soldato
It will help a lot with a regular HDD. The downside however is if the Optane module fails you will corrupt all data, including that of the HDD, at least this is how I understand it anyway.

Soldato
Yes Optane would definately have been worth it 15 years ago when everybody had a slow HDD that needed speeding up. Times have changed because there's a new thing out now called an SSD.

Soldato
it is the future
Of fooling more money out from people for less.
For the price it has way too small capacity.
You could get lot bigger standard SSD for less and have one partition for OS and use rest as big cache for HDD with PrimoCache.

Home use has pretty much absolutely zero use for those high IOPS in mass storage use.
Even STR of NVMe gives very little real world benefit for the price in most uses.

Again volatile DRAM could get replaced at some point by non-volatile memory.
But Optane drive isn't that replacement.

Soldato
I think the only Optane products worth getting at the moment are the 900/905p - but only really worth it for non gaming power user type stuff like intense data analysis, lots of VMs, or stuff that's really really heavy on disk IO.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Read the thread and flow of messages before posting and you would be upto date on what have been posted.

I think your rudimentary grasp of the English language makes it a little challenging to "flow" you.

I do agree however that SATAs days are limited, but M2 seems a right bodge job as a replacement.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom