What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Started work on the porch and fitted a new letterbox which was supplied with the wrong security screws which was a annoying, fitted a new led bulk head porch light and door number, got new handles on the way to finally get rid of all the brass

Soldato
Finished stripping the paint and Sanding 2 purlins that are in the stairway just before entering my attic room, it’s about 20ft or so from the landing so I had to improvise

2 scaffold planks sat on a stair step a pair of different sized combi ladders set like stepladders , a pair of bricks under one set to even up the rungs with the other then some telescopic ladders precariously sat on the scaffold planks, gained me just enough height

A bit wobbly and the Adrenalin kicked in a few times when the ladders jolted sideways but it all looks very clean, just need to stick some coloured wood filler in a piece tommorow, sand it off then give it a light varnish (can’t believe anyone ever thought it would look better painted!), the walls have been freshly plastered too so I’ll go round the edges and prime and caulk that too

Next step is to finish sanding some little bits of the skirting boards, remove some wood glue residue and prime/ paint all the woodwork on the stairs

Soldato
Just put a fence panel back - it is a bit lose in concrete posts and wind popped it out - Just screwed a piece of wood down one side of panel into the grooves.

Soldato
Fitted some sash jammers to the kitchen door, quite a few breaks in round here where they get in and out without waking anyone by popping the lock, these are a simple way of a bit of additional security that's cheap and easy to fit

Associate
I chipped the end of a brad/nail punch on a coconut once, I thought it would punch a nice neat hole through it so I could easily get the milk inside! I don't own a chainsaw, but it sounds like a sensible idea to me.

Dave

Soldato
fixing and building this for my boy, made of wood, 24v direct drive, goes about 5mph with us both in it, with forward and reverse, brakes, lights, indicators, siren, police lights, all the bells and whistles - its like building a classic car!!

5b220181014210354.jpg

Soldato
Just put a fence panel back - it is a bit lose in concrete posts and wind popped it out - Just screwed a piece of wood down one side of panel into the grooves.
I fitted a new fence with slotted posts and standard panels and they rattled in the wind. I found some great little gadgets online that are like spring clips. Took seconds to fit and the panels don't rattle anymore but have a slight give in strong winds. Ideal.

Soldato
Finished installing a new extractor fan as part of the bathroom refurb last night, after making a hole in the wall over the weekend. Seems to work as expected :)

Soldato
I fitted a new fence with slotted posts and standard panels and they rattled in the wind. I found some great little gadgets online that are like spring clips. Took seconds to fit and the panels don't rattle anymore but have a slight give in strong winds. Ideal.
I want some of those, but they're pretty pricey when you have a lot of fence panels to do.

Associate
Finished installing a new extractor fan as part of the bathroom refurb last night, after making a hole in the wall over the weekend. Seems to work as expected :)

Did you use a core drill?

I fitted a tumble dryer vent at the weekend, I didn't use a core drill but drilled loads of holes using a masonry bit and then chiselled it out.
The hole was nowhere near round so spent ages chipping away with the chisel to get the vent pipe to fit.

The only good point was using Bosch Multipurpose Drill bit's https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-straight-shank-multipurpose-drill-bit-14-x-250mm/65876
They go through brick so much easier than standard masonry bits.

Things I've now learnt.
1. Wear hearing protection!!!!!
2. Buy a SDS+ drill (only £60 at Screwfix)
3. Use a core drill for big holes.
4. Stop buying drill bits other than Bosch Multi ones (though can't get them for SDS)
5. Buy a proper club hammer to use with a chisel and not a mini sledge hammer
6. Start drilling the hole in non-hammer action so it creates a mini hole and then switch to hammer action, stops the bit jumping about.

Soldato
fixing and building this for my boy, made of wood, 24v direct drive, goes about 5mph with us both in it, with forward and reverse, brakes, lights, indicators, siren, police lights, all the bells and whistles - its like building a classic car!!

5b220181014210354.jpg

RAF? Not a sexy branch of the armed forces like The Women’s Auxiliary Balloon Corps?

Soldato

I fitted a tumble dryer vent at the weekend, I didn't use a core drill but drilled loads of holes using a masonry bit and then chiselled it out.
The hole was nowhere near round so spent ages chipping away with the chisel to get the vent pipe to fit.

The only good point was using Bosch Multipurpose Drill bit's https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-straight-shank-multipurpose-drill-bit-14-x-250mm/65876

Things I've now learnt.
4. Stop buying drill bits other than Bosch Multi ones (though can't get them for SDS)
6. Start drilling the hole in non-hammer action so it creates a mini hole and then switch to hammer action, stops the bit jumping about.

I used the same technique as you; I drilled smaller roles right the way through the brick and then chiselled out. I looked at hiring a core drill, but the local hire place wanted £90 - no chance.

I minimised the number of holes I needed to make by using the top and right mortar joints of the brick as part of the hole. Therefore I only needed to drill holes for the left of the hole and a little slither out of the brick below for the bottom of the hole - if that makes sense.

I used the Erbauer drill bits from Screwfix. I've always found them to be pretty long lasting, but not on this occasion. The 5mm bit I bought got dull very quickly so I had to go back out to buy a few more.

Soldato

Things I've now learnt.

My Bosch 2kg class 790W SDS cored a 150mm hole for the kitchen extractor fan. Drilled inside to out with a long 10mm bit then voted out to inside. The pilot bit in the drilled hole helps support the coring bit weight. Just take it slow and let the bit do the work.
First 10mm hole use hammer, then switch off hammer for coring. Also make sure the drill has a clutch to protect your wrists.
Used both 100mm and 150mm Coring bits Erbauer. Just get the arbour extension bit too so the drill is long enough to get through Brick and block.

Soldato
Measured the thicknesses of the border and tiles for the backsplash so I know how thick the adhesive notches on the trowel need to be on Saturday. That way the tiles will sit right.

Soldato
If you are keeping the old tiles don't forget to spray them with roof moss killer while scaffold is up - I also scraped all my tiles with paint scraper and wire brush - spray with weak moss killer solution every year and they look as good as new.

Nice job there by the way.

Im planning to do this to my roof over the next few weeks or so, is there any specific roof moss killer that you would recommend? I was going to use Jeyes Fluid but if theres a specific one for the job I'll get some.

Soldato
I can't remember what brand of moss killer I bought but it was around £40 for 20 or 25ltrs-- I then decanted it into 5 ltr bottles for handling and storage - It dilutes down as 1/2 ltr to 5 ltrs of water - After the first two sprays I then got on roof and scraped it clean then sprayed again - From then I have sprayed it every year for last 5 or 6 years and my concrete tiles are still spotless - One or two people round here paid for their roofs to be pressure washed and sealed and now after 3 yrs they are going green again.

Is it worth the hassle - Yes after the first year as all you do is spray it on - I do have a bungalow though with clean gutters

This is one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...2&tag=daniweadroof-21&linkId=T6LB2L7BHURT35VM

And another -- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mossaway-5L-Remover-SUPERIOR-PROFESSIONAL/dp/B001UNU0AQ

There must be loads out there - just need to pick one-- ideally one specific for the job rather than a catch all killer

Back
Top Bottom