Audi owners in here!

Associate
Now for the down side:

Heater box was faulty from new so wouldn't demist, necessitating a replacement. Surprisingly they didn't introduce any trim rattles as it's a dash out job. 2 days at the dealers for that.
Rear crank seal appears to have failed resulting in an undertray full of oil and a nice pool on the drive. Currently waiting for the diagnosis to be confirmed by them dropping the gearbox out and then if so for parts to arrive to fix.

Not bad for 2 months and 1700 miles of ownership! On the plus side, the dealer is handling things well, which you'd hope being warranty work on a very new car, and I'm driving around in a rather nice A6, it feels like a boat in comparison.

Just keeping fingers crossed for this being the last thing so I don't stop enjoying the car.

Going even better now, a month after getting the car back it looks like the seal has gone again. Even more drops on the drive. Beginning to seriously consider rejecting the car now, which would be a shame, as when it works it's a really nice place to be. Got a meeting scheduled with the salesperson when I take it in, so we'll see what happens.

Associate
A/C has stopped working in my A3 8v, you press the button and the light doesn't stay on. I have an ODBEleven and it is showing the code b10abf0, which is apparently the coolant pressure.

Anyone know what it might cost to fix? Been reading around and could be anything from holes in the condenser to a cracked pipe.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
On my back through Germany last night, came across an 8P RS3 cruising slowly. Gave him a nod and he nailed it; my god that 5-pot screams!
I've been looking at 8P RS3s for a while, but they still command strong money for an ancient understeering machine. Clearly the only reason to buy one is that engine, but what an engine!

Soldato
I'd avoid the 8P RS, it's soo old and the handling isnt great.

The 8V is much better, but expensive for what it is. I ran a new 8V S3 for a couple of years, with the intention of moving to the RS3. It was a good hatch but I wanted something bigger in the end. I do remember being disappointed in the quality of some of the interior components, certainly compared to my previous S5. The sport seats had flat, standard bases which didn't support you well, plus the quality of the leather was really poor compared to my previous audis. After 8k miles the driver's seat base looked like I'd done 40k and I'm not a porker either.

If I was to get another fast audi, I'd go for one of the last old shape RS5s. Quattro with a V8. What's not to love.?

Soldato
A/C has stopped working in my A3 8v, you press the button and the light doesn't stay on. I have an ODBEleven and it is showing the code b10abf0, which is apparently the coolant pressure.

Anyone know what it might cost to fix? Been reading around and could be anything from holes in the condenser to a cracked pipe.
Have you had the air con serviced regularly? If not it could be just the case that the gas has got low. Charge for refilling it could be up to £65 depending where you go. They should put a dye in it so that any leaks can be detected with a ultra violet lamp....

Soldato
Hi All

I’ve currently got a Ford SMax as it has 7 seat and there is 6 in our family so I’m now looking at a Q7 as a new (used) family car, is 3L the smallest engine they do and are they seen as a reliable car?

Thanks

Man of Honour
Depends on the age. 3 litre is the smallest engine they do, the old model is a horribly dated nasty thing, the current model is expensive but very good.

Associate
Question for the 2017-2019 Audi S3 Owners - Is the steering as bad as they say it is? I'm looking at them to potentially transition to from a GT86 which already has quite a raw feeling but keep hearing the steering makes it a "boring" car. (Transferring due to change in job role and need the practicality of something bigger so an S3 is the choice)

Soldato
Have any A3 8V owners here removed the A-pillar trim and have any tips?

I presume it's advisable to disconnect the battery before going anywhere airbags, such as there are in this location, or is that unnecessary?

Soldato
Question for the 2017-2019 Audi S3 Owners - Is the steering as bad as they say it is? I'm looking at them to potentially transition to from a GT86 which already has quite a raw feeling but keep hearing the steering makes it a "boring" car. (Transferring due to change in job role and need the practicality of something bigger so an S3 is the choice)

It's all relative. Personally I'm fine with it but I accept it doesn't have masses of "feel". Only way you'll know is to test drive one.

One thing I will say is the "firmer" steering offered up by certain Drive Select modes is a waste of time as it's totally artificial.

Back
Top Bottom