Epic Games Store now open!

Soldato
They're relentless. More exclusives announced including The Outer Worlds, and Control. Both were already listed on Steam.

They're also bringing David Cage's games to PC, i.e. Detroit: Become Human, Beyond: Two Souls, and Heavy Rain (edit: as above!).

Caporegime
OP
Hmm, I'll wait a year then. I feel it is time to pick a side and I'm going with Steam. I know they don't care about me at the end of the day but the last thing I want is for Steam to go boobs up.

Associate
Epic are well up for a fight it seems, I have to give them credit with just how aggressive they've been trying to take market share any way they can.

This reminds me a lot of the Monday night wrestling wars back in the late 90's:

WCW used the same tactics that Epic are using, IE: take your opponent's top talent simply by paying them a lot better. Works great in the short term, but as we saw with WCW, that strategy can come back to bite you. They went from beating the WWF at their own game to being out of business within 3 years.

But Epic have rattled Steam already, no question about it, the previously coasting execs at Valve are likely having to get some new ideas and damn quick too.

Might even scare them into finally releasing Half Life 3.

Steam aren't going anywhere, but I reckon Epic might end with around 10-15% of their user base within a year or two, pretty good going for any new Steam-like service.

Caporegime
OP
But Epic have rattled Steam already, no question about it, the previously coasting execs at Valve are likely having to get some new ideas and damn quick too.

Might even scare them into finally releasing Half Life 3.

Yeah I saw somewhere that Gabe Newell sent an email saying "Don't die within the next five years" in response to a question asked about Half Life. I think Epic is giving them a kick up the arse.

Associate
Steam aren't going anywhere, but I reckon Epic might end with around 10-15% of their user base within a year or two, pretty good going for any new Steam-like service.

Depends on how much they're paying out. It's hard to see them making a profit on all these exclusives. If they can keep the customers around after they stop paying the publishers off, it'll be worthwhile, but they'll need to put a lot of work into the store before then. The lack of keys is currently the big sticking point as people will always be more drawn to a key reseller offering a game for cheaper.

Soldato
For Outer Worlds, I was considering getting it, but I won't buy it anymore I'll just wait for Cap. Jack Sparrow to release it. Screw Epic store.

For David Cage games, they are worth a look but are cheap on the PS4 - Detroit: Become Human was fantastic and looks great on the PS4 PRO.

It would take a lot for me to even consider installing the Epic launcher. The only game that could possibly sway me would be Cyberpunk, but CDPR have already stated it won't be an exclusive, that's the kind of act I can get behind, and I'll 100% buy Cyberpunk.

Edit - apparently Metro has sold better on Epic compared with Last Light on Steam, but I think there are a lot of factors here;

1. The PC market has more people playing now than it had when LL came out.
2. Metro LL was a bit of a niche game at the time it was released. Exodus is more aimed at the mass markets than LL was.
3. They are giving away Exodus with all RTX cards right now, are they counting these as sales I wonder?

Possibly other stuff I've not even considered as factors on sales.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nothing but brute force tactics bribing publishers setting the gaming industry back with these tactics.

Does epic have any games that are not exclusives?

Soldato
Nothing but brute force tactics bribing publishers setting the gaming industry back with these tactics.

Does epic have any games that are not exclusives?

Yeah man I bet Valve are sooooooo scared of someone throwing their money around to try and buy their way to victory... they're obviously quaking in their boots

I'm disappointed in the Obsidian guys though, Outer Worlds was an instant buy for me until this

Soldato
As a publisher you take your pick.

steam for as many players as possible playing your game
epic for cash injection but dead game
or both, but it seems epic dont like to share.

Man of Honour
Hmm, I'll wait a year then. I feel it is time to pick a side and I'm going with Steam. I know they don't care about me at the end of the day but the last thing I want is for Steam to go boobs up.

I'm picking both sides, not fussed about launchers and the only person I punish by choosing a side is me, by depriving myself of playing something for a large period of time.

Back
Top Bottom