BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Hi there it's showing 1000mb and 220mbps upload availble for me on FTTP, however no provider can supply this, including bt :| - I'm only able to get 300 down and 50 up. Anyone know when and if this will be available ?

What exactly is showing you FTTP 1000/220 is available?

What results do you get putting your landline or address in here? https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Soldato
Install cost is horrific iirc and retail resellers are pretty much non existent last I looked.

Thanks, Edinburgh is a big mess at the moment, city fibre and bt ripped open all the roads. Vodafone are doing 900mb up and down for £45 whereas I'll be on 70 for my 300 and 50 up.

Which provider did you find? Just curious

Cheers

Associate
Thanks, Edinburgh is a big mess at the moment, city fibre and bt ripped open all the roads. Vodafone are doing 900mb up and down for £45 whereas I'll be on 70 for my 300 and 50 up.

Cheers

There's some info on the product here - https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...ces-on-bt-wholesale-availability-checker.html

At the time of that article it costed £135 exc VAT per month plus a hefty connection fee of £505 exc VAT but it's a BT Wholesale product so won't be something you can order anyway.

Caporegime

Cheers

There's some info on the product here - https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...ces-on-bt-wholesale-availability-checker.html

At the time of that article it costed £135 exc VAT per month plus a hefty connection fee of £505 exc VAT but it's a BT Wholesale product so won't be something you can order anyway.

So looking at Openreach pricing, the 1000/220 service carries charges of £500.00 connection and £960.00 annual rental (£80pm) although that's publicly released pricing, no doubt larger ISP's negotiate a discount. Both +VAT. It's worth noting though, that price hasn't changed since 07/12/2016. It's not really aimed at consumers TBH. 500/165 is £660 per annum, again +VAT. I suspect if Virgin ever get that close, or a full FTTP provider like Gigaclear or Hyperoptic steps up and starts to roll out that's unlikely to be reviewed.

Caporegime
A minor point but the entire reason for Openreach and regulated prices is that there aren't discounts for large customers, or preferential treatment. That blog post has slightly confused things by talking about pricing in the same paragraph as BT Wholesale, and there's obviously room for discounts at that level as Wholesale isn't regulated in the same way.

The gigabit service carries such a hefty price because it involves an upgrade to XGPON on that segment, and customers that require 1Gbps over 330Mbps would be better served by ethernet anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi,

Is Zens 'Unlimited Fibre 2' package the same as BT's 'Superfast Fibre 2' in terms of technology? Zen quotes 54.7mbps vs BT at 68-71mbps - just wondered if BT's package will actually be faster or if that's just checker differences?

Thanks!

Associate
Just a quick note about my experience with Zen.
Now I heard many good things about them but I wasn't so lucky.
So first thing that went wrong is that they promised me g.fast with estimated speed of 190-312mbps which upon connection turned out to be 60mbps down and 6 up so was switched to vdsl2 as with this I'm getting 80 down and 20 up.
The router that they sent me ( fritzbox 7350 apparently half decent one) has some issues with my unifi access points as the seamless roaming doesn't seem to work.
Ok those two things are not entirely their fault but upon setting up broadband quality monitor on my line I have noticed that I'm getting very small ping spikes on completely idle connection and that is something I didn't get with Sky at all and for a lot lower price.!
So today after using it for a week I decided to cancel and go back to Sky just to be told that their cooling off period is for 10 days from the date it was ordered and not connected.! That means that even before your service gets connected you are out of cooling off period and can't cancel without being charged early termination fee.
No one else does it like that and sky can be cancelled within 30 days from the day the service goes live.
So now I'm stuck for 12 months with worse service at a higher price.
Thank you Zen.. not....

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Neither is the third one to be honest. Do the 'spikes' affect your usage? Bet they don't. Would you have noticed them if you had not seen them? No.

I'm pretty sure they are actually quite normal, in fact it might be the router IIRC.

As for the cooling off period, That's the same for a lot of ISP's, Plusnet for example off the top of my head.

Edit: From the FAQ's of the TBB BQM.

My graph has lots of very regularly spaced yellow spikes on it! What is wrong with my connection?
Some broadband routers exhibit patterns of behaviour. This is often because ICMP is handled at a lower priority than other traffic, so if a router does some form of housekeeping at regular intervals you can see patterns not unlike the graph below:

toothcomb.png

BQM graph showing router-induced tooth-comb latency pattern

This graph is from a Be/O2 connection, and is most likely using a Thomson 585 router. There is nothing wrong, and the spikes do not affect gaming. In this graph the extra yellow spikes between 3pm and midnight, probably mean the connection was actually being used.

Last edited:
Associate
Neither is the third one to be honest. Do the 'spikes' affect your usage? Bet they don't. Would you have noticed them if you had not seen them? No.

I'm pretty sure they are actually quite normal, in fact it might be the router IIRC.

As for the cooling off period, That's the same for a lot of ISP's, Plusnet for example off the top of my head.

Edit: From the FAQ's of the TBB BQM.

As I said they ar very small but still there so it feels like I'm paying more for less even if only on paper.
I'm using exactly same hardware as before and that is unlocked HG 612 and Asus router..

Associate
To those who are syncing at max speed.
What upload are you getting when using speedtest.net.?
Just checked my mates one and he is getting 18.9mbps but I'm getting only 17.3
His line is a lot shorter than mine (probably like 10x shorter since his cabinet is just by his building) but we are both syncing at max speed with faspath.
My download is actually higher then his (mine 74.92 and his 71.66) which is probably due to retransmission on his line.
Could this be because there is probably more errors on my upstream and error correction eats up some of the bandwidth.?

Caporegime
Here's a random question. The first time I encountered a microfilter was when ADSL came along, and I can't find any reference to them before this time. If there was never a larger version of a filter, why are microfilters called 'micro'?

Back
Top Bottom