Aorus Owner's Lounge

Associate
@Atom80 or indeed anyone else who can advise.

I am using my X7DT V3 at work, is it possible to enable the Intel® HD Graphics 530 on the i7-6820HK processor so I can get a bit more battery life out of the machine?

Associate

I am using my X7DT V3 at work, is it possible to enable the Intel® HD Graphics 530 on the i7-6820HK processor so I can get a bit more battery life out of the machine?

probably not, would have to be done at the bios level and ive never seen an option for enabling onboard graphics in a laptop bios supplied by aorus. you would have to unlock the bios which i wouldnt recommend you do unless you know what youre doing.

Associate
I am happy unlocking and playing with the BIOS, I just had to do a repair on an Alienware M17X R3 and to get that sucker up and running needed an unlocked BIOS to disable the integrated graphics before putting a very specific AMD driver on ... total nightmare.

Happy trying it, just where can I get a BIOS that supports it? Machine is way out of warranty so, due for replacement anyway. wife would not be pleased but thats about my only concern.

Associate

probably not, would have to be done at the bios level and ive never seen an option for enabling onboard graphics in a laptop bios supplied by aorus. you would have to unlock the bios which i wouldnt recommend you do unless you know what youre doing.
I am happy unlocking and playing with the BIOS, I just had to do a repair on an Alienware M17X R3 and to get that sucker up and running needed an unlocked BIOS to disable the integrated graphics before putting a very specific AMD driver on ... total nightmare.

Happy trying it, just where can I get a BIOS that supports it? Machine is way out of warranty so, due for replacement anyway. wife would not be pleased but thats about my only concern.
I think the best way is to request a bios mod here
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/
Then supply the latest version of your bios from the aorus website, the bios file inside the flashing software supplied by aorus can be extracted with 7zip

I'm not sure this is possible without a physical MUX switch.

Nvidia's Optimus was meant to achieve this but did not work with G-Sync.

Further reading on the topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/a88crj/being_able_to_switch_to_the_discrete_gpu_in/

Associate
yeah I don't see a way of switching between the two elegantly. I can just disable one in the devices panel but, not elegant.

to be honest having a machine that could get through a two hour meeting would be good. I appreciate this is not designed for this use case, and I didnt buy it for this, but the outfit I am at right now has a BYOD policy.

Soldato
Associate

all X7 features discrete graphic structure, which means the panel's connected with NV graphic directly so it means there's no way that iGPU will be activated

Man of Honour
yeah I don't see a way of switching between the two elegantly. I can just disable one in the devices panel but, not elegant.

to be honest having a machine that could get through a two hour meeting would be good. I appreciate this is not designed for this use case, and I didnt buy it for this, but the outfit I am at right now has a BYOD policy.

I'd imagine with a power profile setup for low power operation it should last awhile - my laptop has a built in power profile "library" mode that downclocks the GPU and limits the CPU more than normal, etc. which increases battery life loads.

Associate
actually thats not a bad shout. I could use the nvidia tuning app to downclock it and reduce its power draw.

worth a go anyway :)

Associate
That did appear to work! Using nvidia inspector to clock it down to P8 and then a bit more. I just got off a skype interview with about half battery left.

Associate
we didn't test over mixed size combination of RAM in our lab. my opinion is that have your dual 16G first installed first to see if it's improved. If it's okay, install original dual 8G on
Oh i havent mixed the RAM I just use the 2x16GB but just tried all 4 individually,I think I have found the culprit at the moment,seems it might of been the fast boot option in windows power options but ill keep an eye on my boot ups :D

Associate
sorry maybe I just missed it. What's the problem you encountered?

its a few pages back now, @Atom80 was dealing with it and sent it off to the team but needed my drivers update, that was the last i heard of it.

requoting the original message:

@Atom80 could you give any info on any updates to the aorus fusion app please? i made some quality of life suggestions a few months ago and was told they would be possible to be added to the program but ive not heard anything about it since.
the additions are:
- being able to turn off specific g-key sets like with the old macro engine so you could only cycle between 2(or any) g-key colour sets rather than cycling all 5 when you dont use alll 5.
- you can currently only add 5 app shortcuts to aorus fusion so more would be nice.
- you currently cannot remove app shortcuts so when you have added 5, you cannot add or remove any.
- the ability to make sure when a program assigned to a keyboard colour profile will switch back to the default colour profile (profile 1?) when the program has closed.
- the ability to switch keyboard colour profiles via the g-keys
- a 100% fan speed (fn + esc) option for g-keys
- when the popup for assigning an action to a key appears, it has an extremely slow fade in animation which is really unecessary.
- when opening aorus fusion, the app starts up minimized.
- there is a problem with "AorusFusionShortcut.exe" randomly crashing for no reason which causes app shortcuts and fan speed adjustment via macro keys to stop functioning. (reinstalling the program or restoring the laptop to factory default does not fix this)

and for command and control:
the charging policy option for the battery will always revert back to standard after the laptop reboots. i want to set it so it only charges to 60% then stop to maintain battery llife. but when i restart, it goes back to standard which causes it to charge to 100%

and finally, im not sure why but a windows 10 upgrade causes aorus audio equalizer to just stop working indefinitely. a factory reset fixes it briefly, but it seems after i upgrade windows, it stops working again. its odd, theres no error, it just doesnt open.

Soldato
Potential Noddy question on the Aorus15-x9-7UK0250W on the OCUK site, the £1800 one with just a 512GB ssd... You can easily upgrade this with a spare 2.5" HDD yeah? Emphasis on the easily, i.e. pop a panel off the back, or otherwise dismantle without breaking warranty?

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Potential Noddy question on the Aorus15-x9-7UK0250W on the OCUK site, the £1800 one with just a 512GB ssd... You can easily upgrade this with a spare 2.5" HDD yeah? Emphasis on the easily, i.e. pop a panel off the back, or otherwise dismantle without breaking warranty?

HI @Bubo - you are right in thinking that opening and installing additional HDD wont void warranty. We would "normally" recommend purchasing the unit with the 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD installed to remove the need, but can see the reason you ask as OcUK have applied a strong discount to the single storage unit.

Let us know if any more Qs, and thanks for your interest.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Soldato
Hi all. Apologies for what I’m certain is a stupid question, but the last time I built a PC, laptop and PC components simply did not mix, so I’m just making sure...

I’ve just ordered the Aorus 15-X9, with the 512 SSD, but no additional storage.
I see there is a 2.5inch expansion bay, and I’m quite sure I can simply install one of these:-

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seag...d-drive-pc-and-ps4-st2000lx001-hd-374-se.html

Is that right?

I assume something as simple as installing an additional drive will not affect the warranty either, right??

Cheers

Chris

Associate
yes, you can open it up without voiding warranty and upgrade the storage and ram fine. that hdd should fit, you can also upgrade any m.2 slots you have as well.

Back
Top Bottom