Brave Web Browser

Associate
Ive been using brave on my phones for ages, around 2 years I would say. Never get pop ups. Assumed mose on here would also be using already.

Whats the benefit over chrome on PC though? as ublock and youtube ad blocks and the like take care of that on PC.

Man of Honour
Ive been using brave on my phones for ages, around 2 years I would say. Never get pop ups. Assumed mose on here would also be using already.

Whats the benefit over chrome on PC though? as ublock and youtube ad blocks and the like take care of that on PC.

Firefox adblocks on phones and syncs all your bookmarks, logins and tabs across devices. It also allows me to run YouTube with the screen off and other useful features.

There is no advantage to using Brave for me.

Associate
Firefox adblocks on phones and syncs all your bookmarks, logins and tabs across devices. It also allows me to run YouTube with the screen off and other useful features.

There is no advantage to using Brave for me.

It did not block ads for me last time I used it. Same with chrome even though the block ads box was ticked. Youtube trick is nice, I did have an open source youtube app for a while that did the same thing but the name escapes me!

Man of Honour
It did not block ads for me last time I used it. Same with chrome even though the block ads box was ticked. Youtube trick is nice, I did have an open source youtube app for a while that did the same thing but the name escapes me!

You add abp or ub extensions to block adverts. You can fully customise it on both pc and mobile.

Last edited:
Soldato
It also allows me to run YouTube with the screen off

youtube, now, at least for music with the poor 128Kb/s ogg/webm codec is pretty disappointing aurally, I half think they did this to try and anticipate copyright issues.

I would pay money for an add-on that will just replace embedded utubes with the video title, so I can triage/ignore it, rather than wasting cpu/network resources, showing me the video title page.

Soldato
I'm a long term FF user that has just made the switch to Brave on both my mobile and desktop and Linux laptop. I feel sorry to leave FF behind as I never had a problem with it at all but the thought of getting rewarded in crypto for seeing a few unobtrusive adverts every hour seemed like a no-brainer and Brave's ad and tracking blocking are second to none (I have yet to see an advert on YouTube). The speed is excellent as well. I've just received a grant for 15 BAT too.

Once the wallet is bidirectional then this will be the ultimate browser.

Caporegime
Have also just made the switch to brave browser on both my phone and desktop PC.

Hopefully the paying you for viewing ads becomes a big thing......

Permabanned
I was using Firefox in an attempt to avoid Google, but with the recent issue where a certificate expired and everyone's extensions broke I decided to try alternatives.

I use DuckDuckGo as my search engine regardless of browser.
I install uBlock Origin and DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials extensions.

I tried Brave recently, my observations:
- Brave is built on Chromium so general performance and stability is good, most Chrome extensions work.
- All the Google stuff is disabled for your privacy.
- Brave on Android is IMO the best Android browser because it blocks ads, afaik the only other Android browser which can block ads is Firefox with uBlock and Brave is faster/nicer than Firefox on Android.
- Brave has native ad-blocking, but it's a bit buggy so I ended up installing uBlock Origin anyway, so that's not really an advantage because the implementation is poor.
- The whole BAT thing is an annoying distraction.
- Brave's Sync is not complete, it only syncs Bookmarks atm. Work in progress.

I also tried Vivaldi, my observations:
- Vivaldi is built on Chromium so general performance and stability is good, most Chrome extensions work.
- All the Google stuff is disabled for your privacy.
- Vivaldi's approach is to make the UI customisable, there's a ton of options, it's pretty nice, but IMO not really essential.
- Vivaldi for Android is not released yet. Work in progress.
- Sites which check your browser to tell you to get a modern browser give a false-positive for Vivaldi.
- Multi-monitor support isn't perfect.

IMO Vivaldi for Desktop is better than Brave.

I have gone back to Chrome on desktop for now, sick of dealing with niggling issues, filing bug reports etc.
I'll check out these two browsers again in a year or so.
I'm using Brave on Android, everyone should give that a try.

Soldato
I use DuckDuckGo as my search engine regardless of browser.

google seem to be p*****g around with the search results format, so maybe I need to change
.. they now look like this, as of today, I think

46986896475_2e6b2242f7_o_d.jpg

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately the Linux version freezers my entire Kubuntu system forcing a hard reset so it looks like I'm going back to Firefox.

I had a few problems with it when I first started using it, but they seem to be releasing new versions pretty quickly so I'd recommend keeping coming back to try once every couple of weeks to see if the problem has been solved.

Associate
I've started using Brave more in recent weeks. It's been pretty solid. The adds seems not too intrusive and I end up with some BAT tokens each month. I'm probably 50/50 split between Brave and Firefox at the moment.

Soldato
Bit of a thread resurrection...

Anyone else had a recent change to Brave mobile browser where it no longer saves your chosen view for specific sites?

e.g. I use OcUK in mobile view, but BBC in desktop view. Previously, Brave would know this and would present each site in the chosen viewing method. But now, I have to apply the viewing settings each time. It actually makes Brave now very annoying to use as it used to be seamless!

Soldato
Bit of a thread resurrection...

Anyone else had a recent change to Brave mobile browser where it no longer saves your chosen view for specific sites?

e.g. I use OcUK in mobile view, but BBC in desktop view. Previously, Brave would know this and would present each site in the chosen viewing method. But now, I have to apply the viewing settings each time. It actually makes Brave now very annoying to use as it used to be seamless!

I seem to be getting this also so must be a bug just.

Coming from Chrome, the one thing I do miss is the autocomplete on websites.

I am just using it on my iPhone at the moment but this is the only downside for me.

Other than that, it’s very fast and no adverts even on YouTube :)

Back
Top Bottom