BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I never called them, no, i can only speak for their network which seemed excellent to me. Low latency always (for FTTC) and never any evidence of shaping or controlling of traffic. I guess my experience was as good as it could have been from an openreach perspective, in that my line has never suffered from issues on that side.

I used the live chat a few times to update deals as you do need to stay on top of them, i think the standard 80/20 price is around £38 vs around £25 on a deal. The live chat works well although clearly the staff follow a script, so you need to play along with that.

Soldato
As above, I have never had to call them, that said I never had to call plusnet or BT either so I can’t really compare.

I’m moving house soon so I will need to call them and see what happens, I will report back!

Their router seems fine, no crashes and the UI seems fine. Sure it doesn’t have all the features of a high end AP but you don’t expect it to, WiFi signal seems fine.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I will add that i also did not use their router for Wifi, as i have a structured multi AP system (Meraki) for whole home WiFi instead. I'd guess that most complaints (as per my new FTTP ISP) actually centre not around the network or any technical connection issues, but more user error with the supplied equipment/WiFi coverage, etc.

Man of Honour
Ick new house has bridge tap - we can't even find the master socket or what passes for one and each extension seems to chain from the next in no apparent order and what seem to be extension cables leading off that we can't find the other end of, etc. connection potentially possible of something like 37/5 but getting 21/1.1 with a lot of errors :| huge step down from having multiple 80/20 connections. Gonna have to get someone in I think to sort it.

Been using my 4G as it gets ~20/10 and a fairly solid 38ms ping and so far hasn't been dropping out or anything for a wonder.

Caporegime
Ick new house has bridge tap - we can't even find the master socket or what passes for one and each extension seems to chain from the next in no apparent order and what seem to be extension cables leading off that we can't find the other end of, etc. connection potentially possible of something like 37/5 but getting 21/1.1 with a lot of errors :| huge step down from having multiple 80/20 connections. Gonna have to get someone in I think to sort it.

Been using my 4G as it gets ~20/10 and a fairly solid 38ms ping and so far hasn't been dropping out or anything for a wonder.
Call your ISP and they should send someone to sort that. It's likely star wiring which is the enemy of broadband!

Man of Honour
Depending on when it was built it could have an external master socket.

Where does the phone line come into the house? That's the place to start.

1970s house - the whole wiring setup is nasty the cable comes from a pole at the end of the garden and appears to go under the roof but there is nothing on the other side of that so must run down inside the wall or something. The pole is actually the power core and the phone line itself just bounces off of it and goes across the road to another pole, then around to another pole, then back again and rejoins the power core 100 meters down the road.

Man of Honour
Looks like this:

yQQ5kom.jpg

Next one along (behind the camera position) is at the bottom of our garden but not as clear on Google maps. Our phone line goes out to it but doesn't connect to anything there just bounces off it to a BT pole the other side of the road.

Meanwhile slumming it on 4G:

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8211606614.png

Funny thing is not long ago people would have killed for that kind of connection - latency is pretty decent as well.

Associate

If you do find the master socket, a filtered faceplate should help mitigate the speed drops bridge taps cause.

https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates/

Best

Wulf

Soldato
Update on our G.Fast install.

Turns out that our line length is around 150m as the line goes around the buildings and not direct from the cabinet down the road, which would be around 50m.

Anyhow on the BT mans machine it tested at full 330/50 and I assume the Huawei MT992 is synced at that too as speedtests show around 300 download and just under 50 upload.

Nice improvement from 80/20, just hope it remains stable!

8212597239.png

Typical Speedtest result.

Thinking about it, the download speed could be limited by the Draytek 2760 maximum throughput? The CPU usage on it does almost hit 100% a lot of the time. Could be time for an upgrade!

Last edited:
Associate
I've been having serious issues with g-fast disconnecting a few times a day. BT have been once already and said my internal wiring is all shot. I asked BT to disconnect all the sockets apart from the main socket. I was still having issues until Zen asked me to take the bottom half of the g-fast faceplate off and plug the modem straight into the socket via a splitter. It's only been 24 hours but it seems to have done the trick. I'm not sure why as BT were quite adamant that splitters should not be used.

@Avalon and @j_walsh I know you guys had issues, any ideas?

Man of Honour
Had an email today (seems genuine) offering an "exclusive" upgrade to BT UltraFast Fibre Plus (100Mbit) can't see this area being covered by it so maybe they are still basing it on our old location :( gonna see what happens.

EDIT: Old location doesn't show it as available either.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Strange. I think you may be right in your suspicions. What does your previous address show?

Nothing has changed at the previous address since we moved. Just a bit odd that it has a heavy emphasis on "exclusive" all over the email otherwise I'd dismiss it.

I see. I'm not used to seeing phone and electricity sharing the same poles.

Backwaters of Somerset for you :s I'm surprised I've even got sort of reasonable 4G here - then again most of the village has barely ADSL so we are lucky to have FTTC at all.

Back
Top Bottom