Switched To Linux

Soldato
For those that spend a lot of time in consoles I recommend Tilix, been using on Ubuntu Mate and it's great :)

For documents and coding Sublime ;)

Associate
I can't recommend PopOS enough if you like gnome, it's the first distro that has stopped me hopping constantly, totally solid and visually lovely.

I downloaded the PopOS ISO to give it a bash, and made a bootable USB with it in Rufus. Disconnected my windows drive for ease. Rebooted and choose the USB, it starts a load of command line stuff and looks like its booting the installer but then the screen just goes black and nothing. Ill fart about with it more later on once Ive finished the stuff I need to get done before I can have another go.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't recommend PopOS enough if you like gnome, it's the first distro that has stopped me hopping constantly, totally solid and visually lovely.
I've managed to get everything looking pretty and as I want it in Ubuntu but may give this a try as well.

Soldato
I downloaded the PopOS ISO to give it a bash, and made a bootable USB with it in Rufus. Disconnected my windows drive for ease. Rebooted and choose the USB, it starts a load of command line stuff and looks like its booting the installer but then the screen just goes black and nothing. Ill fart about with it more later on once Ive finished the stuff I need to get done before I can have another go.

Do you have an Nvidia graphics card? That sounds like the Nvidia issue. Pop do two ISOs - an AMD/Intel one (open source drivers) and an Nvidia one with the proprietary Nvidia driver installed and working out of the box (even in the live USB). Worth double checking.

OP I've been using Linux and BSD in one form or another for about 15 years or so, and I now run it full time on all our machines (desktop and MacBook Pro). There's a fair bit to learn but you'll find it so much more refreshing, easy to work with (i.e. you have control and know where everything is if something breaks) and private/secure. Welcome to the club.

Associate
Do you have an Nvidia graphics card? That sounds like the Nvidia issue. Pop do two ISOs - an AMD/Intel one (open source drivers) and an Nvidia one with the proprietary Nvidia driver installed and working out of the box (even in the live USB). Worth double checking.

OP I've been using Linux and BSD in one form or another for about 15 years or so, and I now run it full time on all our machines (desktop and MacBook Pro). There's a fair bit to learn but you'll find it so much more refreshing, easy to work with (i.e. you have control and know where everything is if something breaks) and private/secure. Welcome to the club.

It was having two monitors connected that was an issue. Installed with one and then plugged other in. All fine.

maj

maj

Soldato
After hearing good things about Pop OS, I've just installed it onto a spare SSD I have to try it out. I'm trying to install Stream and Chrome via the store and both are sat at 'running' with the progress bar not moving and I have a circle spinning next to the search box. This normal behaviour? I've been sat for about 20 minutes now waiting for them both to install.

If I click cancel nothing happens.

Soldato
After hearing good things about Pop OS, I've just installed it onto a spare SSD I have to try it out. I'm trying to install Stream and Chrome via the store and both are sat at 'running' with the progress bar not moving and I have a circle spinning next to the search box. This normal behaviour? I've been sat for about 20 minutes now waiting for them both to install.

If I click cancel nothing happens.

Sounds like its bugged out maj, kill the process and retry, I had no issues installing both.

maj

maj

Soldato
Sounds like its bugged out maj, kill the process and retry, I had no issues installing both.

And here my learning curve with Linux begins. How will I do that? Terminal?

Should I be on the same IP as when I'm on Windows? I manually gave myself an IP on Windows 10 and Pop has assigned itself the same one too.

Last edited:
Associate
You can't have 2 devices with the same IP address. If you're assigning devices fixed IP addresses you should really do this via DHCP issuing them based on MAC or have a range of IPs you can use outside of the DHCP address pool.

Back
Top Bottom