2019 Chilli Growing thread

Soldato
They're looking great Nazbit. If there are roots coming through the holes at the bottom of the pots it might be a good idea to repot some of the bigger plants into larger pots.

Moved them from 7cm pots to 13cm pots yesterday. Was all I had lying around but should do them for a while.

Caporegime
My Chillies have gone a bit haywire. Thought I could get away with keeping 11 of them in my grow tent but 19 days after my last picture I have a forest.

Not sure if I should just keep them as they are, until I move them to my greenhouse in a few weeks, or cull a few?

Caporegime
My Chillies have gone a bit haywire. Thought I could get away with keeping 11 of them in my grow tent but 19 days after my last picture I have a forest.

Not sure if I should just keep them as they are, until I move them to my greenhouse in a few weeks, or cull a few?

if they are all growing fine and have enough soil for root development they should be fine.

Caporegime
Thanks.

It's a Finether 60x60x140CM tent. Got it along with a 600w LED light from eBay for £60.

I'd think about sticking them into bigger pots soon though. And then onto sunny windowsills. You dont want to stunt them. Or bigger pot and into the tent.

Thanks for the info. I already have grow lights from IKEA they are led ones so only use around 5 to 10w each.

Although yours has the benefit of 600w heater I dont believe that really should be needed unless growing really hot varieties.

Seems like that grow tent on it's own is £50+

I'll maybe look for a second hand one.

I'm wondering if I should try and make my own grow tent I know B & M sells cheap silver insulation.

I would need to knock a frame together though. Which isn't an issue just need time.

Caporegime
I'm mainly growing Habanero's with a few Trinidad Scorpions and Reapers thrown in. How many of each I have is a mystery because I forgot to mark them when I first planted them.

The light gives off next to no heat so I need it sat next to the radiator for warmth.

I built my own grow box to begin with out of a wooden stool and tin foil. Posted it a few pages back and didn't take very long but having read more about it Mylar would've been a better bet. Any decent size box should suffice tbh.

Caporegime
I'm mainly growing Habanero's with a few Trinidad Scorpions and Reapers thrown in. How many of each I have is a mystery because I forgot to mark them when I first planted them.

The light gives off next to no heat so I need it sat next to the radiator for warmth.

I built my own grow box to begin with out of a wooden stool and tin foil. Posted it a few pages back and didn't take very long but having read more about it Mylar would've been a better bet. Any decent size box should suffice tbh.

If its 600w then it should be chucking out at least 500w of heat

Soldato
Quick question.. now my chillis are due to come out of the propagator... will they be ok on a sunny window sill?

I.E they don't need to go back in the propagator to keep warm? (With lid off as they're a bit tall) they'll be going outside in a mini greenhouse thingy soon as the weather is good enough.

@hartgeh3 i used Sow Seeds this year (first timer)

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it too late to start growing some? not sure what though, what sites are you guys using?
First year for me too. Started my main ones in Feb but I did just start some birds eye the other day. They're only small and have two sets of leaves at the moment. They of course look 'behind' compared to the others but not sure how they will do.

I bought from south devon chilli farm online - great success with germination. 100% even I think.

Soldato
Quick question.. now my chillis are due to come out of the propagator... will they be ok on a sunny window sill?

I.E they don't need to go back in the propagator to keep warm? (With lid off as they're a bit tall) they'll be going outside in a mini greenhouse thingy soon as the weather is good enough.

@hartgeh3 i used Sow Seeds this year (first timer)
Idea for you depending how big your small greenhouse is. First year for me too but I got a small greenhouse and put a small (2ft tall maybe?) oil filled radiator in there. Keeps it nice.

Associate
I dont have a greenhouse, but a shed which gets quite warm in the summer. Had a whole bunch of tomatoes and other bits but want to try chillies this year so might get a propagator, also seen a heat mat on the rainforest site.

Soldato
I dont have a greenhouse, but a shed which gets quite warm in the summer. Had a whole bunch of tomatoes and other bits but want to try chillies this year so might get a propagator, also seen a heat mat on the rainforest site.
The shed gets sunlight I imagine?

Yeah I used a small heat mat from there too and a prop. Was a self watering one (capillary matting) but I didn't use that feature of it.

Associate
OP
Got my over wintered plants out in the sunshine last bank hol weekend as they were flowering.
Back in the conservatory now it's cooled down but have a load of aji limon fruit forming now.
Time to get than back into bigger pots and given a feed I think.

Back
Top Bottom