BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
Update on our G.Fast install.

Turns out that our line length is around 150m as the line goes around the buildings and not direct from the cabinet down the road, which would be around 50m.

Anyhow on the BT mans machine it tested at full 330/50 and I assume the Huawei MT992 is synced at that too as speedtests show around 300 download and just under 50 upload.

Nice improvement from 80/20, just hope it remains stable!

8212597239.png

Typical Speedtest result.

Thinking about it, the download speed could be limited by the Draytek 2760 maximum throughput? The CPU usage on it does almost hit 100% a lot of the time. Could be time for an upgrade!

Shove your laptop straight into the modem and dial a PPPoE connection to test the theory.

I've been having serious issues with g-fast disconnecting a few times a day. BT have been once already and said my internal wiring is all shot. I asked BT to disconnect all the sockets apart from the main socket. I was still having issues until Zen asked me to take the bottom half of the g-fast faceplate off and plug the modem straight into the socket via a splitter. It's only been 24 hours but it seems to have done the trick. I'm not sure why as BT were quite adamant that splitters should not be used.

@Avalon and @j_walsh I know you guys had issues, any ideas?

If you had a G.fast faceplate then your internal wiring was already isolated. The faceplate might be faulty, Openreach should replace it if that is the case.

Soldato
So my upload sync speed has always been ~20 Mb/s since we moved here 3 years ago. However, in the last couple of weeks I've noticed our upload sync rate has dropped significantly. It is now ~15 Mb/s, with an SNR margin on 7.4 dB and line attenuation of 22 dB.

I asked Plusnet about it and all they had to say was that my download SnR margin was at 3 dB and that this was a "mistake". Given that changed back in October, I cannot see how that is relevant. Are they just talking rubbish? How can I get them to look into this without dismissing it out of hand or ruining my download sync rate by changing it back to 6 dB SNR margin for no reason?

Caporegime
So my upload sync speed has always been ~20 Mb/s since we moved here 3 years ago. However, in the last couple of weeks I've noticed our upload sync rate has dropped significantly. It is now ~15 Mb/s, with an SNR margin on 7.4 dB and line attenuation of 22 dB.

I asked Plusnet about it and all they had to say was that my download SnR margin was at 3 dB and that this was a "mistake". Given that changed back in October, I cannot see how that is relevant. Are they just talking rubbish? How can I get them to look into this without dismissing it out of hand or ruining my download sync rate by changing it back to 6 dB SNR margin for no reason?
Could be crosstalk. Upload is rarely looked at as an issue by ISP's, to the point where we don't even quote it when a customer buys the service. You generally get what you get and they only guarantee download.

Soldato
I never called them, no, i can only speak for their network which seemed excellent to me. Low latency always (for FTTC) and never any evidence of shaping or controlling of traffic. I guess my experience was as good as it could have been from an openreach perspective, in that my line has never suffered from issues on that side.

I used the live chat a few times to update deals as you do need to stay on top of them, i think the standard 80/20 price is around £38 vs around £25 on a deal. The live chat works well although clearly the staff follow a script, so you need to play along with that.

As above, I have never had to call them, that said I never had to call plusnet or BT either so I can’t really compare.

I’m moving house soon so I will need to call them and see what happens, I will report back!

Their router seems fine, no crashes and the UI seems fine. Sure it doesn’t have all the features of a high end AP but you don’t expect it to, WiFi signal seems fine.

My line is pretty good, had one issue that required open reach (low speed + no dial tone), but other than that, is stable, so not had much reason to call anyone in the years I was with BT.

Went with Sky in the end, as I decided I didn't really need the a lot of the extra call features and once you drop those, it's only a few £ difference, so just for convineace of one bill (have tv as well), that's fine. Still a massive saving over what I was paying bt. Router wise, not too fussed, all seem to be moreless the same in terms of features. Sky being a bit tight on only putting two ethernet ports, but not a massive issue. Sky dropped from their terms about not using equipment other than sky, so apparently no more hassle (other than a router that supports mer) to swap compared to others these days.

Thanks for the feedback on talktalk anyway :).

Could be crosstalk. Upload is rarely looked at as an issue by ISP's, to the point where we don't even quote it when a customer buys the service. You generally get what you get and they only guarantee download.

Website quoted me upload speeds. I think it was quoted when phoning as well (wanted to keep number), can't remember. Website definitely had upload quoted though.

Caporegime
My line is pretty good, had one issue that required open reach (low speed + no dial tone), but other than that, is stable, so not had much reason to call anyone in the years I was with BT.

Went with Sky in the end, as I decided I didn't really need the a lot of the extra call features and once you drop those, it's only a few £ difference, so just for convineace of one bill (have tv as well), that's fine. Still a massive saving over what I was paying bt. Router wise, not too fussed, all seem to be moreless the same in terms of features. Sky being a bit tight on only putting two ethernet ports, but not a massive issue. Sky dropped from their terms about not using equipment other than sky, so apparently no more hassle (other than a router that supports mer) to swap compared to others these days.

Thanks for the feedback on talktalk anyway :).

Website quoted me upload speeds. I think it was quoted when phoning as well (wanted to keep number), can't remember. Website definitely had upload quoted though.
But it likely doesn’t form part of the minimum speed guarantee.

Caporegime
Blimey. Something weird happened overnight. Connection dropped at 1am (as it does from time to time with Sky Fibre Max) and came back up at maximum speed. Only ever seen this happen once, nearly two years ago when it first got installed. Now I hope it never drops again. :p

x4fXhnm.png

Associate
Blimey. Something weird happened overnight. Connection dropped at 1am (as it does from time to time with Sky Fibre Max) and came back up at maximum speed. Only ever seen this happen once, nearly two years ago when it first got installed. Now I hope it never drops again. :p

x4fXhnm.png

DLM probably dropped your noise margin to 3db which increased your sync rate.
You can actually train your line if you have the HG 612 that's unlocked by limiting the sync rate yourself for few days to achieve full speed as it lowers error rate on your line and pushes DLM to change profile.
Done that myself and it works.

Soldato
:mad::mad::mad:

What ever changes BT have made to the BT TV web portal is utter garbage.

For one they have changed something that now stops me watching say two games simultaneously. You can only one watch one as it claims on the other screen you have too many streams running.

And two cant watch the Spurs Ajax game at all. I turned it on turned the sound off as had a call. Once call ended tried to turn the sound back on but the menu to do so didn't appear. So I refreshed the page.

And now we are back to it telling me I have too many streams running.

So I am paying for something that I cant use. :mad:

Utter garbage!

Associate

x4fXhnm.png

is running at a noise margin of ~2 not going to be unstable ?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Depends on the line to be honest, that's what DLM is there for.

It looks like he re synced just as he had a drp in noise on the line giving him a little extra, that is of course assuming he is on a 3dB profile.

Caporegime
Finally got my FTTP connected at the new house, 74 down 20 up, £40 a month (but with cashbacks and rewards effectively making it £30 a month). BT and Zen were the only options.

I mean, it's no Hyperoptic (who I have been spoiled with for years), but I am happy with that.

Soldato
Hi guys I wonder if any of you can offer any insight into my line fault.

Basically for the last 5 weeks I have been suffering from random disconnects sometimes up to 20 times in a day and also degraded performance where as before I had a solid 80/20 connection.

So over the course of 5 week and 5 engineers visits and changed the master socket ( a filtered socked), Router, new line from the drop line junction box to the master socket they have also inspected the wires on the poles.

And after all these changes my connection is no better and the Engineers don’t seem to have a clue what to try next.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If it's still faulty then it needs to go back to Openreach until it's fixed. Have you been moved onto a different FTTC port yet?

Be careful pushing too much as they might just decide to cancel your service and mark your line down as unserviceable.

Soldato
If it's still faulty then it needs to go back to Openreach until it's fixed. Have you been moved onto a different FTTC port yet?

Be careful pushing too much as they might just decide to cancel your service and mark your line down as unserviceable.

Apparently there are no ports free. I’ll leave it until Zen rings me again then but I have a feeling they will push BTOR as I can get out of my contract as I am below the minimum speed they guarantee.

Back
Top Bottom