• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Unfortunately I have been on the forums through releases by amd and have read this comment before, "as long as they price it right" , "as long as it is XYZ performance" but every time its a let down.
Yeah, the expectation usually is they will at least match the competition and being super late bring it at a lower cost. That does not happen, so people end up disappointed. I gave up on expecting anything special from AMD in the GPU department after Vega so they may surprise me. I remember being disappointed with Fury, Polaris then Vega. Polaris I remember being very disappointing at the time as we all expected ore performance due to 14nm.

Soldato
Could they mean for the client side of cloud gaming as didn't they also say Navi would be bellow where Radeon 7 is priced, seems weird to be linking it to cloud gaming.

Soldato
AMD May 2019 investors presentation:
http://ir.amd.com/static-files/9c985e84-bbb6-4e23-99bd-dcbb21f18592

It says Ryzen 2 desktop will be a mid-year release and that Navi is Q3 for cloud gaming. Does this mean Navi is what Google Stadia is using??

Stadia is using an Intel 9700k and some sort of Navi GPU from what I’ve seen.

I could imagine amd wanting to give google a good deal like they do for console markes so I’m quite surprised Stadia won’t use Ryzen 2 and instead use expensive 9700k I tel chips

Soldato
Stadia is using an Intel 9700k and some sort of Navi GPU from what I’ve seen.

I could imagine amd wanting to give google a good deal like they do for console markes so I’m quite surprised Stadia won’t use Ryzen 2 and instead use expensive 9700k I tel chips

So there is at least one version using HBM2 since the GPUs were said to be 56 CUs and have HBM2.

Soldato
Disappointing video unfortunately, all his numbers are way off. Even more so as he uses garbage sites like TPU to make estimates. This one's a safe skip, nothing worthwhile discussed at all.

Soldato
What's off about his numbers? I'll admit I'm flued up and half asleep so not paying too much attention, but the power stepping between process nodes seems accurate enough.

If anything, the tone of the video tempers some expectations (or at least it should do in those people who have utterly ran away with this). Would be interesting to know what went so horribly wrong if October saw "better than expected" to requiring a retape to "the engineers just want rid of it" in April.

Soldato
Here's an idea: Navi was to be built on Global Foundries' 7nm. GloFo were supposed to roll out 7nm products Q4 2018, which means Navi's design would have been built around what GloFo could do with 7nm. But then GloFo bin off 7nm in August meaning AMD then have to put all their eggs in one basket with TSMC, and probably some design tweaks to account for variances in the different 7nm processes.

Entirely possible that TSMC-produced GloFo-oriented design started well, but then it all unravelled.

I'll be honest though, I'm not buying this "power hog" information, unless RTG engineers have 1,000% screwed Navi up.

Soldato
@LePhuronn it's just the overall calculations early on wrt 480 & Vega. If he used a decent source like computerbase he'd have something interesting to talk about, but he messed it up. There's a lot of data out there esp from users wrt perf/w that's much more reliable especially as we test at different clock speeds.

For reference, here's the interesting info (for Vega & 7nm).

At least tho, this should serve as a cold shower for all the people who started day-dreaming about 12+ TF consoles.

Soldato
Looks like Navi is another stinker going by that video, quelle surprise. If your engineers can't wait to get shot of the product and move on to the next thing because it's so bad then you've got serious problems; shame. The PC GPU and gaming market may die now because of Nvidia's rampant greed, unless Intel can save us of course.

Back
Top Bottom