Sony XF90

Caporegime
I was looking at the KD55XF9005BU, I was under the impression that input lag was pretty bad on these sets.

Is that true? Or has this being improved with an update?

Also any idea how it compares with the Samsung QE55Q8DN?

what made you think that every review has stated it's low. rtings, avforums, etc. i use mine for console gaming and anything below say 45ms is negligible on a console. i believe it's around 20ms on this tv so nobody would be able to tell it has any lag.

Soldato
Managed to get it to work at 1440p 120hz. Just had to use CVT Reduced Blanking rather than CVT in AMD Control Panel when making the custom resolution. Awesome!

Nice! Does HDR work when doing that? I've only been doing 4k 60fps HDR with my (nvidia) PC so far.

Played around with this quite a bit now, with picture settings etc. This TV is top quality!! Not "that" far off my OLED.

Associate
what made you think that every review has stated it's low. rtings, avforums, etc. i use mine for console gaming and anything below say 45ms is negligible on a console. i believe it's around 20ms on this tv so nobody would be able to tell it has any lag.

It was on the Trusted Reviews review.

Last edited:
Soldato
It was on the Trusted Reviews review.
I don't trust trusted reviews (or trust pilot EDIT: forgot whathifi) who just seem to plagiarize others reviews, without showing any evidence of having the kit or knowledge to perform analysis themselves, plus use of a tabloid dictionary ... but yes ok flatpanels who have them ranked

2019 Sony X950G 22 ms 56%
2018 Samsung Q900R 16 ms 61% US UK DE
2018 Sony A9F 27 ms 70% US UK DE
2018 Philips OLED803 39 ms 69% UK DE
2018 Samsung Q8 19 ms 59% US UK DE
2018 Panasonic FZ800 21 ms 71% UK DE
2018 Loewe bild 5 42 ms 70% UK DE
2018 Panasonic FX700 13 ms 32% UK DE
2018 Samsung Q9FN 19 ms 65% US UK DE
2018 LG C8 21 ms 71% US UK DE
2018 Sony A8F 49 ms 70% US UK DE
2018 Sony X900F 41 ms 57% US UK D

Soldato
Nice! Does HDR work when doing that? I've only been doing 4k 60fps HDR with my (nvidia) PC so far.

Played around with this quite a bit now, with picture settings etc. This TV is top quality!! Not "that" far off my OLED.

HDR doesn't seem to work properly at 1440p/120hz. Tested in AC Odyssey a bit. There's almost like inverted colours near shadow detail, it's not a big deal but doesn't look right. Works fine (HDR) @ 1080p/120hz though. I think it's probably fixable (something to do with HDMI range perhaps) but TV kept resetting while doing HDR & resolution changes and I can't be bothered to work it out since I don't care about HDR at that resolution. For me HDR -> 4K/5K gaming, for maximum visual effect. Mind you, this was also while connected to the AVR, so perhaps that's also where an issue arises. Not sure though.

Soldato
I don't trust trusted reviews (or trust pilot EDIT: forgot whathifi) who just seem to plagiarize others reviews, without showing any evidence of having the kit or knowledge to perform analysis themselves, plus use of a tabloid dictionary ... but yes ok flatpanels who have them ranked
I don't know how they measured their TV, or if it's faulty, but that 41ms measurement is 100% wrong for game mode. RTINGs has it right in the low 20s (for 4K 60 HDR), but 41ms @ 1080p 60hz which leads me to believe flatpanels doesn't know what they're doing.

Soldato
the converse, read the reviews/links, rtings/flatpanel/trusted agree/concur 40ms 1080@60 gaming, where others are (and 2019 sony xg) 20ms, and,
at 4k thy are all in the 20ms's, so I guess we infer that the update on the sony cpu in 2019 is the enabler.

Soldato
the converse, read the reviews/links, rtings/flatpanel/trusted agree/concur 40ms 1080@60 gaming, where others are (and 2019 sony xg) 20ms, and,
at 4k thy are all in the 20ms's, so I guess we infer that the update on the sony cpu in 2019 is the enabler.

Right, okay, I understand. It's confusing for two reasons for me: 1) because flatpanels isn't explicit about it only being 1080p 60hz measurements; 2) why anyone cares about 1080p 60hz, when it's a 4K display & it has 1080p 120hz mode as well, which has stupid low input lag.

I guess if you have a switch or some such console, meh.

Soldato
HDR doesn't seem to work properly at 1440p/120hz. Tested in AC Odyssey a bit. There's almost like inverted colours near shadow detail, it's not a big deal but doesn't look right. Works fine (HDR) @ 1080p/120hz though. I think it's probably fixable (something to do with HDMI range perhaps) but TV kept resetting while doing HDR & resolution changes and I can't be bothered to work it out since I don't care about HDR at that resolution. For me HDR -> 4K/5K gaming, for maximum visual effect. Mind you, this was also while connected to the AVR, so perhaps that's also where an issue arises. Not sure though.

Fair enough! I play 4k HDR anyway. I only use it for single player games, have a 34 inch ultrawide 120hz for more competitive games.

Played around with the settings think I've finally settled on one. Far Cry New Dawn looks absolutely fantastic. So do Odyssey FH4 and wildlands (SDR) which I've also tested relatively extensively.

Soldato
Have to say, I'm really enjoying how feature rich this TV is. Even when you "fake HDR" it can look extraordinarily good.

Compare the screenshot here, to how it looks on video, even though my phone's camera can't adequately film the vividness of contrast. Very impressive & looks great! One of the many reasons TVs are so great for gaming over monitors, for image quality at least.

Settings used:

Game -- Max Brightness & Contrast, Gamma 0, Contrast Enhancer Low, Local Dimming High, Dynamic Range low.

Another useful setting for this game in particular is Clearness 1 in Motion. It helps "stabilise" the shimmering introduced by aliasing, especially if you disable AA and use mip bias -1.

Soldato
My TV is showing “Safe Mode” in the bottom left corner, what does that mean? Also seems to be a “problem with the HDMI cable” when I switch from TV Speakers to Soundbar, not sure why it’s been fine and TV hasn’t been moved in months.

Associate
My TV is showing “Safe Mode” in the bottom left corner, what does that mean? Also seems to be a “problem with the HDMI cable” when I switch from TV Speakers to Soundbar, not sure why it’s been fine and TV hasn’t been moved in months.
To exit safe mode, press and hold the power button on the remote for at least 5 seconds to reboot the TV and don't touch the buttons as it starts.
In safe mode third party apps are disabled.
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00127645

Soldato
I've just had my 55" xf90 delivered this afternoon and everything appears to be fine but I can't tell whether there's a plastic protective film on the screen which I can peel off. I've peeled off the ones that ran along the bezel but if I look really closely at the screen it looks like that there might be one there but I can't find any edges to it.

Do they come with one or am I going absolutely potty??

Soldato
I've just had my 55" xf90 delivered this afternoon and everything appears to be fine but I can't tell whether there's a plastic protective film on the screen which I can peel off. I've peeled off the ones that ran along the bezel but if I look really closely at the screen it looks like that there might be one there but I can't find any edges to it.

Do they come with one or am I going absolutely potty??

Only on the bezel,legs and back has some removable plastic film. The screen has no film on it so don't scratch it trying to remove anything from it, the screen was protected by the cover plastic bag and cardboard that was in front of it. I had two 75 inch and both were boxed the same, first had issues second was perfect.

Back
Top Bottom