Danny Baker sacked

Soldato
Soldato
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...cist-tweet-monkey-meghan-markle-a8905886.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48212693

Here's one for GD ;)

He sends a tweet referring to the royal baby with a picture of a well dressed couple with a chimpanzee.

I don't see this as a bit of banter but clear case of racism, why do we still in this age refer to black people as apes ?

OK, he has apologised and deleted the tweet why did it even cross his mind to think it would be acceptable

It's only racist if you take it as being racist. Otherwise it's just a monkey in a suite.

Caporegime
I don't see how he thought it could be interpreted in any other way however in my opinion an apology and the embarrassment he has caused himself should be enough, sacking people and financially attacking them for "wrongthink" and posting things that the mob don't think you should is utterly dystopian and terrifying in itself. If he has the broken the law then let the police deal with it, if not then he shouldn't be facing punishment by corporations and businesses.

Caporegime
It's only racist if you take it as being racist. Otherwise it's just a monkey in a suite.

No.

If he had used it when Prince George was born, it wouldn't have even been an issue.

But he used it where the babys mum is mixed race, and it's maternal Grandmother is black - obviously that is stupid due to the obvious racist connotations.

Soldato
If I'm being honest... I feel like it's been blown well out of proportion... ("What?! Twitter? People reading things the wrong way? I don't believe it!" :p)

But I can see why some people viewed it that way.

Does it deserve that he's sacked? I'm not sure...

I don't know Danny Baker very well, but I just read he's a Millwall fan, which does now make me wonder if he was being racist afterall :p

Caporegime
He might not have intended it to be racist, but it was a monumentally stupid thing to do.

I am however struggling to understand the relevance of the picture/the meaning of the joke in any other way though. Did he just think it was funny because it was a chimp in a suit?

Caporegime
He might not have intended it to be racist, but it was a monumentally stupid thing to do.

I am however struggling to understand the relevance of the picture/the meaning of the joke in any other way though. Did he just think it was funny because it was a chimp in a suit?

He claims that he was referring to the media circus because chimps = circuses?

That doesn't make any sense to me as when would you ever associate the circus with chimps?

Elephants and Lions maybe...

Caporegime

He’s saying he meant it in a way whereby Archie was like a circus animal, being paraded around for people’s entertainment.

Caporegime
He claims that he was referring to the media circus because chimps = circuses?

That doesn't make any sense to me as when would you ever associate the circus with chimps?

They’re well known as performing animals though.

Won’t cost him that much in the end. He’s already caked up and will carry on writing books and get a job somewhere else. He’ll certainly carry on doing better than most of us that’s for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato

There's a monkey in Dumbo? :p

This all just screams of yet another older person making a joke, that would have been taken lightly in their day, but now you can't make that joke. It's a bit out of touch, but very typical it seems.

Soldato
No.

If he had used it when Prince George was born, it wouldn't have even been an issue.

But he used it where the babys mum is mixed race, and it's maternal Grandmother is black - obviously that is stupid due to the obvious racist connotations.

Yes. You think it's racist there for it is. If you didn't think it was it wouldn't be.

Are you saying my son's t-shirt that has a the words "cheeky monkey" on it would be racist in the same scenario?

It will go on for every if people keep getting outraged on other people's behalf.

If i i posted a picture of a dog with the same comment would people jump to some conclusion about calling the mother a dog, or would some see it as me calling someone a bitch, or maybe insinuating the father has hair that looks like the dogs.
Basically people see what they want to see, if you see it as racist, your part of the problem.

Back
Top Bottom