Hue compatible LED strip controllers

Soldato
I’m doing a custom lighting job for my PC and office as a proof of concept for the rest of the house. For the minute I’m just working on my desk.

EBay is awash with LED controllers, but none of the sellers seem to be able to answer any technical questions. So I’m looking for some advice. Essentially I need two types of controller:

1) One that interfaces with Philips own Hue Light Strips. As far as I’m aware any ZigBee compatible controller should work, but I need a six terminal version for the Hue strips.

I think this RGB CCT version will work, but I don’t know : https://tinyurl.com/y592ea6r

2) A controller compatible with the Hue app that will run 12v RGBW 5050 LED strips, like these: https://tinyurl.com/y2zoz98q

I believe the ‘RGBW’ version of the controller linked above will work. Again, I’m not sure.

Finally I need a power supply for these two types of controller. I’m thinking two possibilities:

1) Plug top DC power supplies, cut off the barrel connector, and wire into the terminals. Like this: https://tinyurl.com/yxnoptt7

2) A proper DC power supply with terminals I can wire into. I’m thinking the 12v 5A version here: https://tinyurl.com/y2dkhmq5

I’m leaning towards option 2 here. I’ll be using maximum run lengths of 3m so current output should be fine.

Can someone confirm if I’m barking up the right tree for the Hue LED strip controller and the RGBW solution? Any thoughts on power supply options?

If someone’s done something similar I’d love to hear how you got on.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
None of you very clever chaps seem to have any insight just yet. So, I've ordered an RGB CCT Controller and a 12V60W power supply. I also have a plug top to do some testing. After I've tested this, and hopefully got my spare Hue strips working, I'll order some RGB CCT strips to see if I can get the Hue to control third party ones. I'll also test the third party controller/strips together.

If all goes to plan I'll have options for controlling and integrating third party components into the Hue ecosystem, controlled by Alexa, and for future projects I'll be able to have the same app, functionality and quality of Hue for a fraction of the price.

I'll keep the thread updated in case anyone else benefits from my experimentation.

To anyone reading, wish me luck :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Good luck, bud.

...you will be the leading exponent on RGB controllers and setup and answering these threads for the rest of time when people Google. :D

Thanks; can’t wait til I’m rich and famous :D

I'll be interested to see pics once done - best of luck with it.

I’ll do my best mate. The test strips are in a 6mm gap beneath part of my desk, they’re more for accent lighting. I’ll try and get some snapshots of the setup (unicorn chunder :p) when testing is done.

I’ve actually already set up a Bloom, smart bulb, motion sensor and an Echo Spot. Walking into my ‘office’ while the coloured lights fade on is the sort of thing I dreamt of as a kid.

When the whole thing’s complete and I can say the words “Computer, turn on system” The child in me will be practically giddy :D

Soldato
When the whole thing’s complete and I can say the words “Computer, turn on system” The child in me will be practically giddy :D
Surly, it has to be - "Computer, make it so!".

We have a couple of blooms/iris (only use warm/natural hues) hidden behind chairs - as i can't tolerate overhead lights. My aim is to get all the lamps and uplighting turned on with a single switch - just a wee bit more rewiring required.

I'll be interested in your results - i've seen some very elegant solutions and you can totally transform the feel and size of a room with different lighting/shading (i'm boring and stick to neutral/warm tones). Should be a fun testing different ambiences...

Soldato
OP
Surly, it has to be - "Computer, make it so!".

We have a couple of blooms/iris (only use warm/natural hues) hidden behind chairs - as i can't tolerate overhead lights. My aim is to get all the lamps and uplighting turned on with a single switch - just a wee bit more rewiring required.

I'll be interested in your results - i've seen some very elegant solutions and you can totally transform the feel and size of a room with different lighting/shading (i'm boring and stick to neutral/warm tones). Should be a fun testing different ambiences...

Not enough Trekky in me to want ‘make it so’ :p

Sounds like you’re doing a lovely job. We have similar tastes, I’m not a fan of rainbow chunder, though I’ve been experimenting with colour for my desk.

Fortunately the house isn’t massive and most of it is done. We have preset scenes on the hue switches, they work very well. I want a few more motion sensors, and there’s some areas we want to highlight with hidden strips, and that can get expensive fast if you go with the Philips solution, which is criminally overpriced imo.

Hence this thread. I want 4m strips in the alcoves of the ‘office’, (I ran power and data when it was being built for this purpose) and separately controlled strips around the desk so I can accent and illuminate individually.

I’ll update with my results when the bits come, and I’ve tinkered. I chose sellers that were days/weeks rather than months, so cross your fingers :D

Soldato
Not enough Trekky in me to want ‘make it so’ :p
"Flame on."? :D

Hence this thread. I want 4m strips in the alcoves of the ‘office’, (I ran power and data when it was being built for this purpose) and separately controlled strips around the desk so I can accent and illuminate individually.

I’ll update with my results when the bits come, and I’ve tinkered. I chose sellers that were days/weeks rather than months, so cross your fingers :D
Sounds like you've done your research and sellers with good feedback, selling the same product, tend to be faster than advertised time - look forward to your results.

Back
Top Bottom