FA CUP FINAL ... Manchester City v Watford ... Saturday 18th May *** Spoilers ***

Soldato
I love how fans of the other top teams claim City bought success as if there was literally any other way in today's climate. Look at Leicester, they won the league and they're still the small club that beat the big boys and now languish in the upper-mid table, they didn't become one themselves because it's impossible for clubs their size to consistently compete these days.

The likes of United and Liverpool have spent a fortune off the back of their history. Even if the likes of Leicester could have afforded players like Salah, VVD or Allison, there's no chance they'd turn down another top club for them.

The established clubs will always have the advantage with FFP in force. You can sell as many players as you like for £100m each but you'll struggle to sign top talent without the prestige or consistent Champions League football like Spurs.

Man of Honour
The FA Cup needs to die. There I said it.

I'm sure it won't be long until managers start putting their B teams out for the final.

Got to admit, I've lost all interest in the FA Cup, I remember 30 odd years ago I used to get so excited for the FA Cup. Cup final weekend was a massive deal, the whole town would go nuts for it. But its meaningless to me now, I didnt even watch it today. I'm not sure what changes it would need in order for me to find it an exciting competition again.

Soldato
City must have had the easiest cup runs in history lol.

Established clubs will have an advantage because they are a bigger club however Liverpool have been able to sign the players they have because of the sales of Coutinho (cost 14 mil) and the likes of Suarez who was around 26 if I remember rightly.

Liverpool have proven you don't always have to sign established worldies.

Man of Honour
I suppose on the plus side, it means that next seasons curtain raiser in the Community Shield will be Liverpool v Man City, so an early chance to see how the two stack up against each other after the summer.

Soldato
Established clubs will have an advantage because they are a bigger club however Liverpool have been able to sign the players they have because of the sales of Coutinho (cost 14 mil) and the likes of Suarez who was around 26 if I remember rightly.

Liverpool have proven you don't always have to sign established worldies.
Both Coutinho and Suarez had interest from other clubs but ultimately decided on Liverpool, to think their history and already being a established top club had nothing to do with that would be idiotic. This is what I mean, do you think Southampton had a chance of signing Coutinho when Liverpool came knocking? Of course not. The only other option is to offer an amount the club and player can't refuse.

Besides, Suarez was arguably already a top player scoring 81 goals in 110 games for Ajax and a good, if undisciplined showing at the world cup. Sure he wasn't proven in any of the top leagues but more than worth a gamble for the price they paid.

Caporegime
Tbf he counters his own argument by bringing up Spurs, a team on near enough 0 spend net and are in a CL final + good effort in the league until injuries

Also ignores the likes of Atleti. It’s a different level of spending that no one is near and in reality the source of it is the worst part.

FFP being ***** is obvious true though

Edit: lol the idea that Coutinho was highly sought after when Liverpool got him, he started well at Inter but struggled there and with some loan periods iirc

Last edited:
Soldato
Both Coutinho and Suarez had interest from other clubs but ultimately decided on Liverpool, to think their history and already being a established top club had nothing to do with that would be idiotic. This is what I mean, do you think Southampton had a chance of signing Coutinho when Liverpool came knocking? Of course not. The only other option is to offer an amount the club and player can't refuse.

Besides, Suarez was arguably already a top player scoring 81 goals in 110 games for Ajax and a good, if undisciplined showing at the world cup. Sure he wasn't proven in any of the top leagues but more than worth a gamble for the price they paid.

Southampton signed a player Liverpool bought for 75 mil. In fact they sold loads to Liverpool, made a packet and reinvested it poorly.

Soldato
Tbf he counters his own argument by bringing up Spurs, a team on near enough 0 spend net and are in a CL final + good effort in the league until injuries

Also ignores the likes of Atleti. It’s a different level of spending that no one is near and in reality the source of it is the worst part.

FFP being ***** is obvious true though

Edit: lol the idea that Coutinho was highly sought after when Liverpool got him, he started well at Inter but struggled there and with some loan periods iirc

Coutinho was so highly sought after he went for peanuts.

Caporegime
I predicted City 5-0 so I'm not sure why the BBC acted so surprised about the result, City have been beating average teams by 3-5 goals all season. The only surprise about today was Watford actually being in the final.

Caporegime
Well seems like City just picked up where they left off and spanked Watford 6-0.

Didn’t watch the game but I was expecting nothing but a city win but didn’t expect the score line to be that bad.

Back
Top Bottom